The Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Arrival Reviews

May 7, 2017
Worst extraterrestrial movie ever done. Unbelievable wasted of time. Don't do it. Don't waste your time.
½ January 2, 2017
This nearly forgotten Science Fiction/Horror film from the Clinton decade is worth another look. A brilliant but eccentric radio telescope operator played by Charlie Sheen is working for the SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) program when he picks up a strange transmission that appears to be from an alien intelligence. Instead of being rewarded he is told by his boss (a slimy Ron Silver) that his employment is being terminated due to "budget cuts." He is black-listed, his girlfriend (Teri Polo) breaks up with him, and he becomes paranoid as further investigation leads him to the discovery that there are strange transmissions being sent into space from earth in answer to his original transmission from space. Travelling to Mexico in search of the earthbound source of said transmissions he encounters a female scientist (Lindsay Crouse) who is investigating the acceleration of global warming that threatens to melt the polar ice caps and end human life on earth but may also be part of an alien plot to "terraform" earth and prepare it for colonization. It is an effective Thriller, clearly in tune with the popular TV series The X-Files which was running on television at the time. Global warming was not the issue it is today which is why this film is worth another look. Sheen plays an intelligent, nerdy, paranoid researcher rather well.
November 9, 2016
Starts off real good then becomes very meh
October 19, 2016
A truly underrated science fiction movie. one of my favorites from the 1990s.
August 22, 2016
This is one of those movies i cannot say is good or bad. I think it's a bit of both...interesting, especially the first half, but falls a bit with the alien scenes, as i find they show the viewer too much...sometimes the conspiracy is better than the truth!!
½ August 14, 2016
Charlie Sheen channels his inner Kevin Smith in this unique take on the genre. Sure it's a little X-Files-y, and a lot of the twists are either glaringly obvious or make zero sense, but by and large it's pretty original. The climate-change message does beat you over the head a little, but only gently, which I can handle. Obviously it didn't take anyway, considering we're here twenty years later and the problem's only gotten worse.
June 22, 2016
Extremely underrated film. Very well written alien encounter/conspiracy film. Despite all of the humor that one thinks of when Charlie Sheen's name comes to mind, he does an excellent job in this film. Very entertaining both when it was first seen in 1996 and even more recently.
April 11, 2016
A pretty good movie, certainly one of the best alien invasion movies of the 1990's. The thing is, this movie is not only long in the running time, but also feels long in the first half, and can get a little boring. But during the second half and the end, things get entertaining. The acting is terrific, as well as the alien effects for the time, it's remarkable. This film is also really suspensful and has a well developed story to it. Recommended !!
April 7, 2016
Very good movie. The plotting is fairly solid, jumping on the aliens in plain sight formula before X-Files, the pacing keeps the viewer interested, the visual effects are pretty good for the time and budget, and the performances are strong, especially Sheen.
November 12, 2015
reminded me of a1950's 'B' movie - so, take into account some strange editing and slightly unbelievable plot twists, it was all in all an enjoyable movie to watch
½ November 9, 2015
I don't know why I watched this whole movie. So boring. And long. There were like four times when the movie should have ended. Please don't watch this film.
½ September 4, 2015
This film took me by surprise when I first watched this back in my video store clerk days. I was expecting an X-Files rip off with Charlie Sheen investigating aliens here on earth, but this film was written and directed by David Twohy, who would hit it big with his next film starring Vin Disel, "Pitch Black." Twohy has a previously been one of the writers on "The Fugitive" and had also written the underrated Charlie Sheen action film "Terminal Velocity," but this was the film that made me remember his name. Although this film was certainly cashing in on the alien conspiracy crazy started by The X-Files, it really did do it's own thing and does it in an exciting , clever and fast paced manner. Don't expect an action flick, but this is a solid bit of interesting and suspenseful science fiction.
½ August 5, 2015
honestly a lot better than what I was expecting. It was an alien movie that I found both predictable yet fun.
½ May 16, 2015
Nice to see Sheen in a serious role, but the plot is a bit of a leap of faith.
½ April 27, 2015
Didn't expect much but got a really surprising inventive Sci-fi movie from Charlie Sheen....who da thunk it.
April 20, 2015
Love this movie, one of my all time favorites!
February 25, 2015
There's just something about this movie that I really like. David Twohy manages to take what seems like a low budget almost direct to video movie and turns it into something special. The CG is quite dated by todays standards but the story still works.
A true guilty pleasure imo
½ January 11, 2015
Silly little B movie with Charlie Sheen discovering alien signals.
January 8, 2015
Starts off alright, but quickly becomes disjointed and confusing. For a movie about a secret alien invasion, you never get the sense that there is one. Just a couple of people who infiltrated space-based agencies. That's it. There's not even the threat of some overt alien invasion or something. And the last like 30 minutes of this film are completely pointless. This is not a 2 hour film. It's 90 minutes at best, even considering it takes nearly an hour to get to the fucking aliens.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
A decent sci-fi thriller movie from the mid 90's. Charlie Sheen plays an astronomer which discovers unknown signals and everything to points to intelligent alien life.. Not quite a movie im used to see Charlie in but he did a good role i guess. The movie it self tho is yet another average "low budget feeling" kinda but still good for an entertainment moment.