Great Expectations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Great Expectations Reviews

½ October 22, 2016
Could have been better if they didn't tamper the story - especially the ending...
½ October 19, 2016
This is two hours of fantasy, and a very good film. Hawke. Paltrow, Bancroft, DeNiro and Collins are all great, but the prizes go to the story and the director for creating a world that draws us in and that we want more of, even and especially at the end.
½ September 15, 2016
72%
Saw this on 14/9/16
What makes this watchable is relationship between Hawke's character with that of De Niro's and Chris Cooper while the love story lacks depth and emotion. Gwyneth Paltrow's character lacks depth and the ending is bad. however, Cuaron's direction and the music makes it enjoyable.
May 23, 2016
Too many coincidences but what the hell
½ August 20, 2015
How can you make the story of 'Great Expectations' so dull? Honestly it really is some achievement. Don't get me started on Ethan Hawke's artwork which is so bad it wouldn't look out of place in a Primary School that's really struggling to meet it's Ofsted report. Woeful.
½ July 20, 2015
nope, Alfonso couldn't pull it off...
Ethan Hawke totally nailed his character...
Robert De Niro did better than the book...
But the female actresses sucked a lot...
I had more expectations...
½ July 16, 2015
Intriguing adaptation of a classic story with style and fluidity. Cast is superb. Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow have an innocent chemistry which pulls it all together.
May 3, 2015
It took me years to finally get around to seeing this film. I loved the trailer when it came out, but I just never made the effort to hunt down this R rated Charles Dickens adaptation. Since its release Alfonso Cuarón has become a directorial superstar. This film in 2.35:1 shows why. Alfonso has a fantastic eye and this film is gorgeous. I will say the love story was not as powerful or as sweeping as I had hoped, but that's OK. Robert DeNiro is fantastic in a minor but important role. As adaptations go, I think the soul of Dickens' book is here, although liberties are taken. Overall, a beautiful film with more than a touch of class.

"It's my heart, and its broken."
½ March 28, 2015
Its good performances and beautiful imagery can't save the film from it's confusing narrative and tiny script that, at the end, doesn't arrive to nothing.
March 20, 2015
For those of you who liked Baz Luhrman's Great Gatsby, here's another style over substance but still enjoyable classic literary adaptation.
February 10, 2015
A masterpiece. The characters, the screenplay, the soundtrack and especially the art direction are superb. One of the favorites of the early 80's generation that didn't get the deserved recognition from critics.
½ January 2, 2015
Only Hollywood could turn a lyrical Mediterranean love story into a feature-length cigarette commercial.
January 2, 2015
It was a cute modernization of a classic. Obviously because it was a film, it was not perfectly like the book, but it was cute and was still within the general parameters of the film.
December 19, 2014
A nice updating of the Dickens classic even tough it takes a lot of liberties with the source material (including a happy ending). Hawke and Paltrow are great as the star crossed lovers with a great over the top performance by Bancroft as Miss Havisham (here called Ms. Dinsmoor). The best part of this is the featured artwork by artist Francesco Clemente.
October 13, 2014
Whoever thinks this movie is bad, has no sense or knowledge of true romance. Best movie ever!
September 19, 2014
Not quite this bad of a movie. I just have a special hatred in my heart for this story, as being forced to read it over spring break in middle school for English class nearly ruined my vacation to Florida.
September 3, 2014
A classic romance done in a style the blends hip hop with classic melodrama. It's a powerful work of art that bursts with emotion. It's my personal favourite film by Oscar winning director Alfonso Cauron, who sadly disowned this masterpiece of his. The direction, cinematography, editing, and performances are spot on. It has it's flaws, but they're flaws I'm willing to forgive. It's more of a modern day fairy tale minus the fantasy elements that a fairy tale would usually have.
August 19, 2014
A great story but the movie drags on a bit and the actors' talent doesn't come through as much as it should.
July 17, 2014
Forget the critics. I thought this movie was romantically beautiful. Yeah I agree there were some cheese scenes with Ethan Hawke but overall I thought the story was pretty decent. This is my first time watching this movie as I was going though HBO GO Movie section and chose to watch this movie. Overall I love the music score and I thought the movie was beautiful in the art and music blend after all it was used from the original book from Charles Dicken's The Great Expectations in a modern level. I will give this movie a 4 out of 5.