Shaft - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaft Reviews

½ October 13, 2016
Despite good acting, the script let everybody down by being the same oft told story and having boring dialogue.The direction didn't keep your attention either. Why does Hollywood insist on remaking old movies--some are too much a product of their time to be suddenly dropped into a culture 40 years later--we've moved on. The characters have not.
½ August 13, 2016
Less mystery and action than the original and, even with its overt political statement, it feels more politically naive than the original.
August 6, 2016
Started of good. Jackson and Bale are great throughout. It falls off track quickly. The two actors carry it well enough to be decent though.
July 16, 2016
good remake of the 1971 classic blaxploitation film
August 14, 2015
"Shaft" is a pretty typical cop film. The casting is a no-brainer, as Samuel Jackson is the only modern actor cool enough to play this character. I was surprised to see Christian Bale and he played the villain to perfection. The story is fine - criminal cheats the system, vigilante tracks him down, corrupt cops try to make a little extra on the side, get tangled up with another criminal, bad guys lose. It is formulaic (even down to Dan Hedaya playing a Brooklyn-accented corrupt cop), but it puts Jackson into all of the right situations. The language was a bit excessive though not out of place with the amount of blood shown. I didn't have the highest expectation for "Shaft," but it was worth seeing just to hear Isaac Hayes' "Theme from Shaft" during the opening credits and to watch Jackson kick butt.
August 7, 2015
pretty good movie one of the most underrated Samuel l Jackson performances. it has problems in the second half where it focuses too much on characters we don't care about and the drug Dominican gang sub plot was really stupid and a waste and it was kind of a weird end to this movie I was disappointed that there wasn't a final showdown between Samuel l Jackson and Christian bale but regardless. acting was good script was good. some entertaining stuff in here fantastic funk score. funny one liners. entertaining well done action bits. likable characters. funny dialogue and a solid plot make the movie work. at the very least watch it for Samuel l jackson
½ August 2, 2015
Very fun rehashing full of in-jokes, action & classic Jackson awesomeness.
June 6, 2015
A decent cop thriller with a good performance from Samuel L. Jackson, Shaft is mostly memorable for its supporting villains, with Christian Bale and Jeffrey Wright being highlights of the film. It is directed in a bit of a cheesy fashion, but Shaft proves to be a decent film none the less.
½ May 27, 2015
Jackson does what Jackson does but the script just lets the movie down.
May 22, 2015
Pretty average action film with good acting. Don't expect a classic like the original.
½ April 24, 2015
When a man is murdered in a racially motivated hate crime, a detective takes the law into his own hands. This film feels very out of place in the 21st century, and although not very plausible, it is a breath of fresh air that the filmmakers embraced it's 70's rooted source material as a tribute rather than making fun of it.
January 13, 2015
One of Sam Jackson's best films, and one of his coolest characters.
December 31, 2014
Sam is as watchable (and awesome) as ever, and delivers some zingers, but the plot (after a good premise is laid down) gets overly convoluted and twisty, and the supporting cast are solid but not much fun. So weird that Singleton was chosen to reboot a blaxploitation film. Interesting result, but it doesn't quite work. Except that theme music...so awesome.
½ December 17, 2014
The only Shaft movie I've seen so I don't know how it compares to it's predecessors. Acting was good. Story was okay. Having watched it again I'll be in no hurry to watch it again in the next decade.
November 6, 2014
For a retro film remake it was ALL-right in my books
September 10, 2014
Really good film, really cheese as while.
June 12, 2014
I liked it, it's an okay film, but I think they could do better. All the characters are fleshed out great instead of John Shaft himself, the police and Toni Collete's character, that means the villains are the most complex characters. The story was okay, but it got complicated at times because of the numerous uninteresting characters and the thick accents. The action is okay action, it's little cliched and not really suspenseful or exciting. I didn't mind some of the action cliches, it was part of the fun, but I felt they could make them more understandable or relatable. "Shaft" is an okay fun film.
May 28, 2014
a serviceable if mindless action movie
MANUGINO
May 7, 2014
Still the man, any questions?

Good Movie! This version is a lot more violent than the original, it didn't seem to be in Shaft's style. The pacing and editing in the first half of the movie were fast and smooth. John Singleton did a great job in establishing Shaft's character and the plot. During the second half of the movie, however, the movie starts to lose it's original slickness. Samuel L. Jackson is truly a great Shaft, he's probably the only actor out there who could pull this off, and he does an excellent job. Don't expect deathless art here but do expect to be entertained. It's one of those movies that is so politically incorrect it makes you gasp while you are laughing. There are lots of explosions, gore, and chases, both afoot and in cars, and it all happens in little more than 90 minutes. It's a lot of fun, highly recommended.

Cool and deadly NYPD detective John Shaft arrests Walter Wade, Jr. in a racially-motivated slaying. The eye witness disappears, Wade jumps bail for Switzerland, and Shaft is livid. Two years later, Wade returns to face trial, confident his father's money and influence (and racial politics) guarantee an innocent verdict. Shaft looks hard for the witness, so Wade wants someone to kill her. He turns to a ghetto drug king, Peoples Hernandez, who's willing to kill for money, use Wade as a route to rich drug customers, and shaft Shaft. Can Shaft find the witness, convince her to testify, and shepherd her through the hail of bullets that Peoples is sure to let fly?
February 16, 2014
"Can you dig it?" Classic cult film remake. Samuel L. Jackson did a good job. Did tend to go on too long.