The Pledge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pledge Reviews

½ May 22, 2016
Creepy, disturbing and bleak. But the cast is stellar and it's well put together. Just be aware you are guaranteed to feel pretty depressed after watching this!
½ April 9, 2016
Sean Penn's style matures around the time of this film.
½ March 26, 2016
Perhaps its ending may leave some a little sore, no can fault Penn's intricate tapestry of justice, promises and deceit. Nicholson is in top form as a retired cop on the hunt for a killer who may or may not be losing his mind, and carries the film.
½ March 19, 2016
it had little payoff and was not what I'd expected. I'm still unsure of what the point was.
December 19, 2015
This movie explains why the best of us go crazy sometimes because nothing makes sense according to what we've become to believe in. Jack Nicholson has played yet another effortless part for him and made the best out of it.
First time I see anything directed by Sean Penn, I'm not disappointed at all.
October 23, 2015
About hald-way through this movie I realized how well made it was and how much I liked watching the cinematography (high shots of lush wilderness, lonesome dry roads, etc.) and listening to the score. The story also pulled me all the way in. We know Nicholson's character is a bit mad, but is his hunch about the killer right? We never really find out...do we? Seems that part of the plot is only a fraction of the whole, though. More important, perhaps, is that Jerry Black used the daughter of his late-life love as bait; that will not be forgiven.
½ September 23, 2015
Starts as a good movie, with good acting as you would expect from Jack Nicholson. But it was a bigger let down than the finally to Lost. I would like that time in my life back please.
½ September 11, 2015
More of a tribute to director Sean Penn's work bringing the best out of so many quality actors playing small roles. Jack Nicholson offers a solid performance of a retired policeman honouring a pledge made to the bereaved mother of a murdered little girl to find her true killer. A quest that ultimately undermines several lives.
½ August 3, 2015
Some sections of the film are considerably dull, and others very exciting. The story itself unfolded much differently than I expected
August 2, 2015
Easily one of the best thrillers I have seen. It starts with an unflinching intensity but watch carefully its second act in order to understand what exactly is the director's point. Or else, the entire idea will be lost on you.
July 24, 2015
With an expectedly nuanced performance from Jack Nicholson and incredible attention to detail director/writer Sean Penn, The Pledge ranks far above other movies that have tried to do the same thing by being relentless and uncompromising at every turn.
½ June 29, 2015
What unmittigate pain. This movie has no redeming value. It panders to our natural revulsion at child murder and Mutilation as well as Police ego and refusal to admit not just error, but deadly Errors. It has no message except that everything is bad. It is not pleasant to watch except in the Setup for the fall. They just want to sell us bad drugs - emotions that don't feel good but we line up for anyway
June 14, 2015
Had never heard of this movie. Directed by Sean Penn, Jack Nicholson is brilliant of course - great story too. The ending won't please everyone but it makes for great debate.
½ June 10, 2015
Jack shows his range and the movie makes the viewer uneasy in this good slow burn thriller.
March 31, 2015
The Pledge is a captivating thriller, with a grim plot and excellent acting by Jack Nicholson as the protagonist Jerry Black. I thought this film had the perfect ending, leaving you feeling angry, annoyed and misunderstood just as Jerry does. Very unexpected
½ March 13, 2015
One of the most intense and absorbing movies I have ever seen. The level of the movie is elevated by the terrific performances of the whole cast, Jack Nicholson's in particular.
March 7, 2015
The acting is phenomenal by Jack Nicholson, so it'd be unfair to give this film a low rating, but it's far from perfect because it keeps building up to this grand finale that it ultimately doesn't deliver. However, it is worth a watch.
½ December 20, 2014
Nicholson with Wright,Del toro ,Eckhart and Mirren are the perfect choice for this psychological thriller!!!
November 20, 2014
Fantastic Story & Definitely Drag Me Right In. Really Liked The Performance By Jack. Made It His Movie.
November 11, 2014
The Pledge is well crafted and surprisingly believable. Unfortunately, its exhausting to watch and leaves you feeling empty when its over.