The Pledge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pledge Reviews

½ October 3, 2017
Sadistic thus a superb movies in all aspects. Penn had proved he could do more !
March 22, 2017
Rich character drama, unfairly neglected, with a fine, subdued Jack Nicholson performance and flawless directing by Sean Penn.
½ March 5, 2017
The acting is excellent all round from a stellar cast but...it's just too drawn out and anti-climatic. You can enjoy the quality of the film without enjoying the film I guess.
½ January 9, 2017
With it's arty direction and ambling pace this isn't the most commercial detective movie - but it's a very well made one. It's small scale and rather poignant ending, whilst initially leaving you feeling shortchanged, on reflection befits the story well.
January 2, 2017
Great movie great performance by Jack Nicholson
November 2, 2016
Very nice slow burn thriller with a gut punch of an ending
September 12, 2016
85%
Watched this on 10/9/16
A mature, daring thriller that forays into unknown territories. Sean Penn directs this film effectively and Jack Nicholson's phenomenal performances is even more pleasing. Hans Zimmer's music and the cinematography are all too great.
½ August 23, 2016
Horrible movie with a even worse ending.
½ May 22, 2016
Creepy, disturbing and bleak. But the cast is stellar and it's well put together. Just be aware you are guaranteed to feel pretty depressed after watching this!
½ April 9, 2016
Sean Penn's style matures around the time of this film.
½ March 26, 2016
Perhaps its ending may leave some a little sore, no can fault Penn's intricate tapestry of justice, promises and deceit. Nicholson is in top form as a retired cop on the hunt for a killer who may or may not be losing his mind, and carries the film.
½ March 19, 2016
it had little payoff and was not what I'd expected. I'm still unsure of what the point was.
December 19, 2015
This movie explains why the best of us go crazy sometimes because nothing makes sense according to what we've become to believe in. Jack Nicholson has played yet another effortless part for him and made the best out of it.
First time I see anything directed by Sean Penn, I'm not disappointed at all.
October 23, 2015
About hald-way through this movie I realized how well made it was and how much I liked watching the cinematography (high shots of lush wilderness, lonesome dry roads, etc.) and listening to the score. The story also pulled me all the way in. We know Nicholson's character is a bit mad, but is his hunch about the killer right? We never really find out...do we? Seems that part of the plot is only a fraction of the whole, though. More important, perhaps, is that Jerry Black used the daughter of his late-life love as bait; that will not be forgiven.
½ September 23, 2015
Starts as a good movie, with good acting as you would expect from Jack Nicholson. But it was a bigger let down than the finally to Lost. I would like that time in my life back please.
½ September 11, 2015
More of a tribute to director Sean Penn's work bringing the best out of so many quality actors playing small roles. Jack Nicholson offers a solid performance of a retired policeman honouring a pledge made to the bereaved mother of a murdered little girl to find her true killer. A quest that ultimately undermines several lives.
½ August 3, 2015
Some sections of the film are considerably dull, and others very exciting. The story itself unfolded much differently than I expected
August 2, 2015
Easily one of the best thrillers I have seen. It starts with an unflinching intensity but watch carefully its second act in order to understand what exactly is the director's point. Or else, the entire idea will be lost on you.
July 24, 2015
With an expectedly nuanced performance from Jack Nicholson and incredible attention to detail director/writer Sean Penn, The Pledge ranks far above other movies that have tried to do the same thing by being relentless and uncompromising at every turn.
½ June 29, 2015
What unmittigate pain. This movie has no redeming value. It panders to our natural revulsion at child murder and Mutilation as well as Police ego and refusal to admit not just error, but deadly Errors. It has no message except that everything is bad. It is not pleasant to watch except in the Setup for the fall. They just want to sell us bad drugs - emotions that don't feel good but we line up for anyway