The Pledge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pledge Reviews

May 23, 2018
A great example no matter how much acting talent is in a film , bad direction and screen writing can ruin it from the beginning..
½ April 1, 2018
BORING... What was the point of that? How the fuck did this get such high scores. Fucking cunts tricked me into watching it. I guessed half way thru that it was one of those slow burners that never burns. Still tho it was just ridiculous.. He knows the serial killer targets little blond girls in red dresses so he gets his little blond stepish child to wear a red dress and sit on a swing by a road miles from the gas station even after he becomes suspicous of the triucker Fuck off. Like fuck anyone would let any child (serial killer around or not) do that. And then the non-ending. Like wtf. Bad guy dies in a car crash and everyone thinks Jack is a crazy prick... and then suddenly he is. What a load of shit. Fuck off.
½ March 24, 2018
Not terrible by any means but not great either. The premise is good but the execution lets it down somewhat. The endings good but it?s also massively disappointing at the same time. It?s a real mixed bag of a movie!
½ February 20, 2018
I don't think the movie is getting older as well as Nicholson does. There is some outdated camera work and some cliché too many. But at the end what is important about this film are the characters, and there is too much talent to fail. Still, there is no much thriller going on, so cutting off 20 minutes would have make me like the film more.
½ December 8, 2017
The acting within this film is amazing and the story although slow at times is gritty.
It?s certainly not an uplifting film but well adapted from the novel
October 30, 2017
I'm not sure what to think about this one. It has somewhat interesting story, it's not bad, but I got bored after some time
½ October 3, 2017
Sadistic thus a superb movies in all aspects. Penn had proved he could do more !
March 22, 2017
Rich character drama, unfairly neglected, with a fine, subdued Jack Nicholson performance and flawless directing by Sean Penn.
½ March 5, 2017
The acting is excellent all round from a stellar cast but...it's just too drawn out and anti-climatic. You can enjoy the quality of the film without enjoying the film I guess.
½ January 9, 2017
With it's arty direction and ambling pace this isn't the most commercial detective movie - but it's a very well made one. It's small scale and rather poignant ending, whilst initially leaving you feeling shortchanged, on reflection befits the story well.
January 2, 2017
Great movie great performance by Jack Nicholson
November 2, 2016
Very nice slow burn thriller with a gut punch of an ending
September 12, 2016
85%
Watched this on 10/9/16
A mature, daring thriller that forays into unknown territories. Sean Penn directs this film effectively and Jack Nicholson's phenomenal performances is even more pleasing. Hans Zimmer's music and the cinematography are all too great.
½ August 23, 2016
Horrible movie with a even worse ending.
½ May 22, 2016
Creepy, disturbing and bleak. But the cast is stellar and it's well put together. Just be aware you are guaranteed to feel pretty depressed after watching this!
½ April 9, 2016
Sean Penn's style matures around the time of this film.
½ March 26, 2016
Perhaps its ending may leave some a little sore, no can fault Penn's intricate tapestry of justice, promises and deceit. Nicholson is in top form as a retired cop on the hunt for a killer who may or may not be losing his mind, and carries the film.
½ March 19, 2016
it had little payoff and was not what I'd expected. I'm still unsure of what the point was.
December 19, 2015
This movie explains why the best of us go crazy sometimes because nothing makes sense according to what we've become to believe in. Jack Nicholson has played yet another effortless part for him and made the best out of it.
First time I see anything directed by Sean Penn, I'm not disappointed at all.
October 23, 2015
About hald-way through this movie I realized how well made it was and how much I liked watching the cinematography (high shots of lush wilderness, lonesome dry roads, etc.) and listening to the score. The story also pulled me all the way in. We know Nicholson's character is a bit mad, but is his hunch about the killer right? We never really find out...do we? Seems that part of the plot is only a fraction of the whole, though. More important, perhaps, is that Jerry Black used the daughter of his late-life love as bait; that will not be forgiven.