Swept Away Reviews

• Nov 13, 2020

Madonna's affair with director Guy Ritchie spills onto screen with Adrianno Giannini, and critics were supposed to be swept away. Alas, critics wept away at Madonna's wooden performance like so much salt beach flotsam, presented with all the raw power of a soaked sandcastle. So Madonna, I'm afraid you get The Burnin' Medallion Of Badness. Characters: 0.5/5 Story: 0.5/5 Acting: 0.5/5 Special Effects (very little of them): 0/5 Direction: 0/5 Cinematography: 0/5 Soundtrack: 0.5/5 Overall: 0.5/5

• Sep 15, 2020

Oh my god! This is easily the worst movie of the 2000s. What the hell Madonna. The movie is trash.

• Jul 23, 2020

A remake of the 1974 Italian film directed by Lina Wertmuller, Swept Away follows a spoiled wealthy woman Amber (Madonna) and a Communist fisherman Giuseppe (Adriano Giannini) who go from spending days on a fancy yacht to being stranded on a Mediterranean island. While there, Giuseppe decides to gain authority and enslave Amber, because he's tired of her berating him. I think one of the biggest issues I have with the movie is Amber, who's too bitter and irredeemably nasty. In fact, she's so awful that any attempt to faithfully capture the comedic tension and beauty of Wertmuller's film comes off as unbelievably forced. Apart from Madonna's overacting, Guy Ritchie's take on Swept Away makes a wide series of dumb changes that ruin the chemistry of the original. In the 1974 version, Gennarino and Raffaella find a frigate in the distance, so they fight over the whistle for rescue, showing the first signs of them working off each other; later they find the island and row toward it, working together for the first time. In the remake, Amber and Giuseppe find a flare gun, fight over it before punching a hole in the raft, and they get washed away on the island. Also, in the original, after an attempted rape by Gennarino, Raffaella looks away into the bed of kelp reflecting on her decisions and, after watching Gennarino hunting, skinning and cooking a hare, she inevitably gives herself to him, hoping it would satisfy the merciless man; therefore the two engage in sexual relations later that night. In the remake, Amber looks into the campfire, watching her material world crumble, and the next day she drops the logs, kisses Giuseppe's legs and they have sex. By making these changes, Guy Ritchie makes one of the worst remakes of all time, evaporating any levity or human connection that made Lina Wertmuller's film funny and powerful. (1/2 Octopus out of 5)

• Jun 21, 2020

Madonna almost saved this deeply sexist and misogynistic movie.

Madonna almost saved this deeply sexist and misogynistic movie.

• Oct 29, 2019

I swept this movie out of my mind

I swept this movie out of my mind

• Sep 15, 2019

I know it didn't get great reviews, but I really enjoyed this movie. The visual part was beautiful; the possibility that this could have happened at some point in time...

• Sep 10, 2019

I read about this movie that is was really bad, but I saw some of Guy Ritchie's other movies which I liked, so I just thought to give it a try. I was amazed by this movie. The breathtaking cinematography, great acting by Madonna, Adriano Giannini and a great supporting role by Bruce Greenwood. This is a compelling and catchy movie and I never lost interest until the end of it. And this despite the fact that I normally don't particularly like romantic movies. Besides that, for me personally, I think this is Guy Ritchies best movie and Madonna's best acting performance.

• Jun 11, 2019

What even is this movie

What even is this movie

• Apr 21, 2019

Compelling and meticulously crafted, Swept Away is proof that Madonna can actually act.

• Apr 01, 2019

One of the worst movies ever, and definitely the worst acting from Madonna. Just awful.