Alice in Wonderland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alice in Wonderland Reviews

January 15, 2017
It will surprise most people that this movie is one of the top grossing films ever made as it sits alongside blockbusters like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean & Toy Story on the box office score-board (#24 last time I checked {#44 with inflation}). However, unlike them, it's one of the most forgotten & un-talked about "mega-hits" of the modern entertainment age. It even won 2 Oscars for Best Art Direction & Best Costume Design. Many people say it's a fluke & they could well be right as it's a good movie by all means but noway does it reach the classic timeless status of all those films that rightfully earned all that green. As Tim Burton's highest-grossing movie it's everything you'd expect from him; quirky, twisted, funny with moments of bedazzlement (if you're into a smothering of CGI) but it's heart & soul never fully reach the same level as the visual wonderment on screen. Overall it's just missing that star-power-X-factor that most memorable classics have. Sorry Alice, but you just got lucky.
January 14, 2017
I liked this movie. This movie had brilliant effects and not much stop-motion, either. There was a great performance by Johnny Depp, and it is a movie that I will never forget.
½ January 11, 2017
Story and Performances are flat and forgettable.
January 1, 2017
4 out of 10:

It's impressive to look at the effects but the new Alice has creepy makeup, bad humor, and a story that doesn't live up to the original film or source material.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Despite the cool looking design of Wonderland (oh sorry 'Underland') and it's characters, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland just doesn't live up to the Disney classic.
December 25, 2016
Visually pretty, Johnny Depp has good performance
½ December 21, 2016
Some of the acting and visual effects are quite impressive, but the story is very weak and completely misses the point of the original Lewis Carroll novel.
December 20, 2016
An bizarrely dark take on the usually rosy Lewis Carroll tale.
½ December 20, 2016
Burton tells the adventures of Alice in her Wonderland choosing a good way with Disney to make you memories of a beautiful fairy tale
December 19, 2016
Terrible. The vain producers and writers who thought they could create a better version were terribly misguided.
December 15, 2016
Don't care if you hate I ?? it ??????
November 21, 2016
Not any were close to the magic of the first one.
½ November 9, 2016
A adventure movie gone wrong, the story is simply unappealing.
October 30, 2016
This film is an abomination of the original Lewis Carrol source material. I have just read "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland" to my 8 year old and can tell you this film resembles very little of it. I won't even go into a comparison or list of discrepancies because it would take too long. It would be easier to draw up a very short list of "similarities".

Johnny Depp does the best he can do in this horrendous attempt at cashing in on a classic title. The practice of naming a film on a classic work of literature and bastardizing it to the point of no recognition should be illegal, but what's to stop a Hollywood production house from writing a big fat cheque to the literary rights holders for its use.

The film is stereotypically dark as one would expect from Tim Burton. It makes me wonder how Burton could not have grown as an artist after 4 decades of spewing out the same "gothic" perspective on his craft.

I assume any bitch will bark for a biscuit.
October 26, 2016
Re-watched it, enjoyed it the second time.
It is at least better than Dark Shadows.
October 21, 2016
I'm so madly in love with this movie
October 4, 2016
Alice In Wonderland is splendidly a visual treat with awesome cinematic and directorial qualities, this adaptation is weak in almost every other single aspect. The script panders to the quirky, awkward teenager that can only appreciate style over substance, and the film lacks narrative heft, which would usually be acceptable for Burton, except that the film emphasizes such an epic story that makes no sense in a non-Alice In Wonderland kind of way. Such a disappointment for such a uniquely awesome director.
October 3, 2016
amazing, everything i hoped it would be and so much more! i loved it, the 3D was amazing, and i loved how they mixed the alice in wonderland and through the looking glass. super!
September 29, 2016
Love this movie. The acting, costumes and effects are perfection.