Alice in Wonderland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alice in Wonderland Reviews

September 11, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
When we dont know why we see some unexpected things, but do see we are destined to for great things when we are expected to. When we don't see how loved ones unexpectedly die, when it's their time to go. When we see we are expected to grow up but don't see why we are expected to do so in strange ways. When we still continue to see unexpected things when thinking of unexpected & impossible things runs in the family.
September 4, 2017
While the effects and setting was really great, I think it just emphasize how much money was thrown in and just how much more it disappoints. I never expected something otherwordly or epic, just the one feature that makes the book and all it's variations: that it was all a dream and dreams don't make sense. The one true thing about Alice in Wonderland is that, and by trying to make sense it blew in their faces. I'm not even gonna mention the characters, I just admired the colours and scenery to try and make the most of the money I threw in the theater.
September 3, 2017
I like the story but not this adaptation. A little too dark and serious. GGN
September 2, 2017
Tim Burton makes a live-action Alice in Wonderland I thought it was pretty good my favorite character was the hatter he was pretty crazy and funny here is played by Johnny Depp who did a good job! And I do like the white rabbit what a good fairytale adventure!
½ August 24, 2017
Confusing, boring adaptation. The story has been warped beyond all recognition, and makes very little sense. The CGI, pretty much the only reason anyone went to see this film, does not hold up, looking plastic and artificial. Live action characters do not appear to belong to the scenes in which they appear.
Much of it has clearly been designed to appeal to cinema audiences wearing 3D glasses, so there seems little point in watching at home.
August 20, 2017
Tim Burton's take on the classic Lewis Carroll tale is more of a sequel to the animated movie from the 1951 set before Alice Through the Looking Glass than a movie that's faithful to the source material. I also admit that although this film is the ultimate guilty pleasure of just about everyone except the YouTube assholes, it's still not Burton's best film to date. There is an unnecessary reliance on CGI although it's somehow less distracting than all the CGI in Attack of the Clones and it also feels like Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings had a baby whom they gave up for adoption and was raised by Burton and the lady who wrote the screenplay. Because naturally, everyone blames the director and/or the actors if they hate the movie. No one ever looks at the screenwriter twice. However, the film more than makes up in certain flaws present with its amazing visuals, Johnny Depp's show-stealing performance as the Mad Hatter, a few humorous moments and how it manages to bring back some of the trippy zaniness from the animated movie whilst still remaining, in a way, fun for those who either didn't see the cartoon or hated it. So while this Alice in Wonderland movie may not cater to all tastes (especially for the more squeamish family members despite what the company name and MPAA rating might suggest), it still boasts enough of the vivid imagination of Tim Burton to be one of those types of movies that people hate but secretly love.
August 6, 2017
Allison Wonderland is a good fairytale starring Johnny Depp, Johnny Depp was funny he played the mad Hatter and he did a good job of that! I really liked this one when I saw it. My favorite characters are the mad Hatter and the white rabbit! They did make a book of Alice in Wonderland, Alice through the looking glass. I'm a fan of this silly movie!
½ July 17, 2017
As if the world needs another Tim Burton movie starring Johnny Depp
½ July 15, 2017
Burton's vision of wonderland is great, but his vision of the story is a bit weak, because often you cannot hear what The Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) is saying his words just slur sometimes, the quality of what you can hear is compromised by the style that Johnny Depp has portrayed as The Mad Hatter.
The make-up and costumes is the only thing to look forward to if you ever want to watch this film because they are the only things that's enjoyable.
July 1, 2017
Burton's version of "Alice's Adventure in Wonderland" suffers from poor characterization, but still magical.
June 28, 2017
It took a different direction from the original animation movie, but it's dark tone and re-imagination of the wonderland is very enjoyable.
June 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Alice in Wonderland empieza con el pie derecho, con una prometedora premisa y un despliegue artístico más que disfrutable, sin embargo, conforme la película se va desarrollando cae estrepitosamente en personajes bufoneados, floja argumentación narrativa y un desenlace decepcionante.
June 18, 2017
don't see the big deal but not bad
½ May 31, 2017
While the visual style is unique, and the acting is Wonderful. Burton's more Gothic look at Alice in Wonderland just doesn't make me a fan, but that's not saying that others won't enjoy the film
½ May 6, 2017
A thing I've noticed throughout Burton's remakes is that they try a bit too hard to balance funny and dark, but the attempts usually fail. You can't remake an iconic and beloved film, aim it at the child audience, and then make it too macabre for the main audience's PG-level brains to understand. Yet again, Burton does just that and mixes in a bleak, tiresome world void of any happiness. While I can fully understand Burton's reasoning for not staying close to the book, it certainly doesn't work in his favor here. The final duel is clichéd, boring, and just not that good. It's entertaining for audiences that are younger but it just can't live up to a bar set by the original. lice in Wonderland is-yet again-another misguided attempt at a remake that succeeds on some levels, but fails horribly on others.
May 4, 2017
Too mad for me. Some interesting visuals, but Johnny Depp scares me. Danny Elfman provides a good soundtrack in another Tim Burton film, but the storytelling was weak. (First and only viewing - 6/23/2010)
½ May 2, 2017
It's not as bad as everyone thinks it is. You just have to have a vivid imagination.
½ April 28, 2017
Oozes with Tim Burton's trademark visual style, but lacks a good dialogue , and story(which is also becoming a TB trademark).
April 6, 2017
I really don't get how they made such a creepy book even more creepy. And... it's a Tim Burton movie. I'll give it credit that it tries to do it's own thing. But it does that thing badly. Very badly. If you like Tim Burton you will like it. If you want a good Alice in Wonderland movie... ehhh... depends on your stance on Tim Burton movies. If you like them you will like this. If you hate em you'll hate this. The acting is... fine. Depp was great. And that's that. It's a Burton movie whose story and characters are kinda like Alice in Wonderland.
½ April 5, 2017
Alice in Wonderland review

Alice in wonderland, the new Tim Burton's version of a magical book "Alice's adventures in Wonderland"(Lewis Carroll), shows how a young lady called Alice interpreted by the talented Mia Wasikowska gets lost in a world completely different from what she knows. Creepy gardens and irregular characters like the Hatter (Johnny Depp) or the queen of hearts (Helena Bonham) will show her that the land of dreams is as real as she wants it to be. A fantastic under fantasy movie that is worth to watch.

In the film, our principal character Alice lives a boring life that is controlled by her mother. On a very special day she decides to escape annoyed from the only decision she has right to make. At the beautiful dark gardens where she hides, she finds a little new friend that leads her to a totally unknown world. Now lost, she will have to face her destiny. The hatter, the bony with the clock, the twins and the smiling cat are going to be with her all along her fights and adventures.

When talking about dressing, the creepy and funny style match perfectly with the story. Alice dresses represent every emotional state she passes through. The first one for example, exposes the lostness that she finds herself in; it is new, grey, scary, thin, and came from nowhere( just like her dream and fantasies). During the movie, she will develop her inner strength and skills which are going to be perfectly reflected in her presentation.

The characters in this film present a challenge to the actors, because of its unusual madness roles. Hysterical and funny behaviors from the hatter for example, could not have been performed by anyone else but the talented johnny depp. This actor has shown to have incredible skills to act the most freakness scenes. The best example is the first one of course, when he sees Alice arriving to the tea party and starts walking on the table with a total control of disorder. The Hatter is clearly moved for his aleatory mad emotions and has not hesitate of acting above them. Johnny depp made an amazing job with this role. Other characters like the rabbit or the cat had to be made by computer with special effects, which the most remarkable is the smiling cat. Its foggy disappearance and appearance are smooth, colorful and well produced.

Alice in wonderland is an amazing story for kids and adults. If the audience really pay attention to what is happening, they might learn something helpful to theirs lives. Although I don't like the idea that the new version of the story has cut some scenes from the original cartoon, I understand that it was necessary to make it more digestible. Wonderland can be compared with the actual world. Many viewers felt identified with the feeling of being in a place where everything is unnatural and crazy. The audience could find many positive thoughts that encourage to face the deepest fears( like dreaming), and walk forward their lifes. I strongly recommended only if the viewers are willed to get hooked to it. This is not a movie only for entertainment.