Alice in Wonderland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alice in Wonderland Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp do a great bunch of acting in this movie. Lost half a star because the Dragonic monster is called the "Jabberwock" in the books; the poem about it was "Jabberwocky".
½ August 22, 2016
33% - Alice In Wonderland squanders its good source material and converts it into a typical Tim Burton film with absolute creepy characters and unrealistic visual effects.
August 19, 2016
Vaguely interesting as pure hallucinatory cinema but disastrous on any other count.
August 14, 2016
It's good, but it Needs too much Improvement on the Script and the story and feels Almost messed up
½ August 11, 2016
i thought it was a really whimsical movie in a good way
johnny deep plays the hatter and i loved it! but however the movie mostly becomes a mind of its own since it doesn't follow what the book says the big headed queen will make you queasy the white queen will make you vomit and a lot of the other characters are just weird or weird looking compared to the cartoon movie but however it is somewhat interesting for adults but there are some parts that are just out placed
August 4, 2016
An exceptional dark take on the usually rosy Lewis Carroll tale.
August 2, 2016
I've read of of Lewis Carrol and seen all the versions of Alice in Wonderland to date; I think today's audiences are a bit jaded, just like our world around us. To bad, I think this was a wonderful, fun movie. Loosen up people.
July 25, 2016
TIM BURTON DID IT AGAIN!
I can tell why people trying hard with johnny depp's makeup so he can really be the mad hatter but i think the disney original from the 1950's was bad enough!

His Other Movies are the same, His Old School Films are Awesome!

BEETLEJUICE: The Best!
NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS: A Fabulous Animated Family Film with lots of scary music and scenes and henry selick is a good director.
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY: Should be called Charlie and The poo factory, How Immature am i? Very!
DARK SHADOWS: Should be called Dogshit.
THE LONE RANGER: Gore Verbinski Directed that Movie but it still have Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in it, OMFG!

Alice in wonderland is a waste of time.

Score: 3.5/10
July 25, 2016
Alice in Wonderland is a visually excellent fantasy adventure classic!
½ July 16, 2016
Finally I get around to watching this and Tim Burton's touch was worthy of the classic tale. Unconventional, questionable and totally bonkers, this is a match well made and the CGI impressive.
July 10, 2016
More of a sequel to the animated classic than a remake, and while it does have it's share of problems, I still can't help but have loads of fun in the weird, crazy and wonderful world from Tim Burton's imagination. Johnny Depp is a perfect fit as the Mad Hatter and Helena Bonham Carter is wonderfully evil as the Red Queen.
July 6, 2016
I really recommend it in 2D to get the best experience. Johnny Depp was very good as The Mad Hatter. I absolutely loved the 'Exorcist twist' that Burton and Depp gave him to his bipolar characteristics. The whole background story to the characters and how the style of them came about is very interesting (The Red Queen's head supposedly has a tumour on the top of her brain which causes really extreme emotions, White Queen was based on Nigella Lawson etc.) Mia Wasikowska makes for a decent Alice. Anne Hathaway was great! Matt Lucas was brilliant as the Tweedles, very humourous. Michael Sheen, brilliant actor as The White Rabbit. Stephen Fry was delightfully pompous and witty as Cheshire Cat. Crispin Glover was surely amazing as the Knave, so wickid and evil. Paul Whitehouse brought many laughs as the March Hare. Also, Alan Rickman just has the spot-on voice for the Caterpillar, a lovely voice. Same also with Christopher Lee who can surely be the only voice for the Jabberwock (Even though he only had 15 seconds of speaking time, he still sent chills down my spine) Also, a nice little Burton collaberator nod from Michael Gough as the Dodo, who was in other Burton films such as Batman, Batman Returns, Corpse Bride and Sleepy Hollow.

So, the cast are amazing. From a directorial point of view, Burton brings us his take on Wonderland (or Underland rather) and shows us through cartoonish CGI visuals. It is all very beautiful to look at. There are many scenes that are examples of Burton's twisted and unique vision. These include the tarts scene where The Red Queen interrogates her frog servants, accusing one in particular for eating them. The suspense builds up brilliantly, and is a scene full of edgy, dark humour. Another scene also is when we are first introduced to the Hatter's dark side. The reason I posted my rating as 3 stars for a film I have been waiting for for two years, is that now the wait is finally over, I have seen it, and it's an enjoyable film. The only thing is I was expecting it to be Burton's next masterpiece, as pretty much all of his films are. And considering it's surely a match made in heaven, BURTON & CARROLL. I was expecting to be absolutly mesmerized and blown away. But it wasnt a masterpiece. Visually it was fantastic, but otherwise not.

Breath-taking to look at in places. Great performances from some, Burtonesque quirks here and there. Danny Elfman's score is definatly not up their with his best but there was certain moments were it had me literally left with goosebumps all over me.

With the incredible talen behind it, it was somewhat a disappointment. But if your a Carroll fan, there are many little nods to you (a recital of the Jabberwocky poem from The Mad Hatter which was great, little Tea Party sing-song, WHO STOLE MY TARTS?!?! etc.) And if you're a Burton fan, there are some Burton trademarks to enjoy.

Why Is A Raven Like A Writing Desk??? Why indeed :)
June 30, 2016
Yeah, this movie is really dumb, cliched and stupid.
June 28, 2016
What can you say about this franchise that hasn't been said about the AIDS virus, just awful
½ June 25, 2016
A bit of a disappointment. Most of the movie is boring, only came together at the end for the big battle. Great performances by the cast though. Weak story with nice visuals. The 3D is not as spectacular as Avatar, but that's a high bar to beat. It should have been called the Mad Hatter: An Alice Story. B-
½ June 23, 2016
In this tim burton version of lewis carol's alice in wonderland the characters seem ALMOST nightmarish,it has creatures getting stabbed in the eye,and a character being the chosen one (just because narnia,harry potter,percy jackson,etc. didn't com-please that) but overall the movie was good,the special effects were unique for 2010,and had a theme that the was cliche (about impossible is only impossible if you think it is) and turned it into something new.
June 22, 2016
Alice in Wonderland will give you a strange feeling (neither joy nor sadness) because of Tim Burton's direction. A pleasantly dim vibe is what you get from this beautifully CGI-animated fantastic remake.
June 18, 2016
Imagination run amok to the point of incomprehension.
June 18, 2016
Offensively bland given the director and subject matter. I'd have killed to see Burton approach this material when he was at his A-game, but, alas, the Hot Topic version is all we've got.
June 17, 2016
When it comes to childhood favorites Lewis Carroll´s "Alice in Wonderland" is one of my favorite books as I just loved its bizarre, to say the least, ideas, so when I found out Tim Burton was making a live action version, I feared the worst and sadly those fears where right. "Alice in Underland" (no, I didn't misspelled the films name) counts with monotone and dull acting by every single actor (as expected from the "dark and visionary" Tim Burton), the visuals aren't original nor interesting, the CGI looks cheap, the story is just a desperate attempt to make this surreal madness trip into an epic fantasy, which ultimately goes against the spirit of the book; the character designs are ugly, more clichés that I can't count, and overall its pretty forgettable.
Tim Burton´s "Alice in Underland" is a forgettable and dull experience that just serves as an excuse to capitalize on a classic book/Disney film by adding the "gothic and visionary" Tim Burton. Not worth your time, even if you are a Burton fan.