Babar - The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babar - The Movie Reviews

½ February 16, 2014
Won't entertain anyone but the youngest (sub 5 years old) viewer
½ December 29, 2013
I was quite surprised that one of my early childhood favorite movies was not only tolerable but also still fun to watch. I got a kick out of the songs again and it really brought back some memories. (First viewing - Childhood)
May 13, 2013
"Babar" was one of my favorite movies as a child. But it's not the sort of movie that you love forever.
January 22, 2013
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
½ March 28, 2011
Jean de Brunhoff's books of a young pachyderm's adventures have been favorites of children for years, so it was inevitable that a feature would be made. Produced by Nelvana Studios in Canada, this movie premiered in the summer of 1989, sometime while a similar TV series was having its run on TV. While the series captures the spirit of the books fairly well, this film is a bit of a different matter. It's an INDIANA JONES/CROCODILE DUNDEE hybrid action-adventure in which Babar and Celeste must protect their homeland from an invasion by rhinos. It's pleasant enough family fare for the most part, with a couple of catchy musical numbers (the best being the sprightly "Comittee Song"), but there are a couple of scenes that may be too scary for the very young, particularly when an elephant village is torched and its citizens captured and enslaved. The animation is serviceable for the most part, effectively capturing the illustrations of the books, although it is somewhat limited compared to more luscious films. My only quibble is its continuity with the series; the rhinoceros Rataxes, for instance, is portrayed in the film as a bloodthirsty, ruthless villain, while in the series he's much more complex. (It should also be known that his lady and assistant Basil are absent as well.) For what it is, BABAR THE MOVIE is good fun overall, although its ideal audience is solely viewers under the age of eleven, not everyone.
November 12, 2010
It was an enjoyable movie when I was a kid, but paying attention to it now it's rather violent for kids. But hey, i also has good morals to teach the kids as well ;) I still enjoy the movie. A good family movie.
½ April 3, 2010
Damn this is yet another childhood movie that i use to watch ALL the time!!
October 24, 2009
Good movie really i mean if all cartoons in the world were just about humans what fun is that? I mean its called fantasy cartoon for a reason hahaha but was a really really great show. still watchin it now :D
August 3, 2009
A lovely movie which I saw many times as a young child, it teaches good morals, and is enjoyable for adults as well.
½ June 23, 2009
it's violent, and thats harmful to childrens delevoping minds.
How ridiculus! Babar is one of my favorite childrens films, ive never watched the tv series or the sequel but the vcr of Barar the movie is getting preety worn down at home. I watched it avidly as a child and, so far, i have shown no signs of insanity or violent tendancies.
The film is sweet,albeit, slighty cheesey at points, (though who doesnt love a bit of cheese sometimes) and the film is funny, and has some of the best songs in it. (particularly send it to commitee for review)
so, really, all im trying to say is dont listen to all that over P.C. nonsense surrounding this film just give barbar a chance.
½ December 18, 2008
Oh, no! The Rhinos! A strange little movie.
September 17, 2008
An expert blend of vivid colours and uncommon poses in animation.
June 13, 2008
I killed this tape when I was a kid... :) I watched it a lot.
June 1, 2008
Elephants.. behaving as humans? This sucked. Wild animals should be wild animals. Just take a look at one of the Disney classics. Disney was able to create movies with wild animals, but Babar.. No.. It disappointed me.
May 24, 2008
Been too long. I remember liking it okay. Gordan Pinsent as Babar sparks my interest for rewatching.
May 15, 2008
I'm not even interested in seeing this movie.
March 5, 2008
Harmless expansion of the children's TV show.
½ February 25, 2008
I loved this cartoon. I wish it still came on tv.
½ January 9, 2008
Oh i remember this movie.