The Last Circus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Circus Reviews

½ April 22, 2016
It is uneven, however, the crazy nature of the film and the interesting visuals, make this a fascinating watch. The more you think about the film afterwards, the more effective it becomes.
March 28, 2016
Visionary, disturbing, poetic... maybe not the best work of De la Iglesias but an ispirated one.
January 25, 2016
Sick movie. Not recommended to watch with children. Very hardcore sexual scenes. A young boy chooses to become a clown for his profession just like his father but winds up going to into complete madness.
July 24, 2015
The Last Circus tries to work as a commentary on the Spanish Civil War, but it comes out as a mixed bag of elements from exploitation and horror cinema. [C]
½ July 6, 2015
Nows this is bold Spanish cinema worthy of praise :D
May 12, 2015
I didn't know the opera of Alex de la Iglesia until some days ago, when I read of the "witching and bitching" movie, about to exit on the cinemas in Italy. I became very curious after reading a review, and I decided to watch this movie. Well, it's totally different from the 99% of the movies you can see in cinemas/tv. It's half comedy and half drama, and mixes trash and high cinematography at incredibly high levels. Especially the picture is amazing, with a mixture of black and white with darkened colours, and a magnificent use of the camera. Surely I will see for others de la Iglesia's movies in the next days.
½ April 17, 2015
Falls after the first act.
March 1, 2015
A grotesque Shakespearean tale. Twisted, demented and deranged, yet a compelling watch.
February 27, 2015
Es una de las películas más freak que he visto...solo algo que podría ver a las 6:30am
February 23, 2015
Wacky, wacko, smart, visually effective and overflowing with pathos, 'The Last Circus''s allegory and character motivations are clear if you merely look. All in all, it's worth that look. Buy it.
January 16, 2015
One of the most brutally imaginative films I've ever seen.
November 11, 2014
A bizarre love story involving a triangle consisting of a "happy" clown (one who makes kids laugh), his aerialist girlfriend who puts up with his physical abuse, and a new "sad" clown who is the brunt of all the "happy" clown's jokes. The fighting over the girl gets vicious, with disfigurement being the outcome yet the battle continues. Not for everyone, but I found it disturbing and still enjoyable.
½ August 31, 2014
Super trippy movie. Very very dark.
August 7, 2014
Too bad this great movie is not available dubbed in English. The subtitled take away from the great visuals and terrific music and sound design. Hopefully they will release it in English to exploit the large cult film audience in the US.This one was really a surprise find. Great story and acting. Great special effects and camera work. Fun with an exclamation point indeed. Ken K.
July 14, 2014
WHAT THE F....?! This is the most random movie I have ever seen and properly the most random movie I will ever see - Sharknado's randomness is nothing compared to The Last Circus.

Watch it if you want to see a WTF-movie
½ July 3, 2014
Social commentary, hard violence, brilliant writing, incredible acting and gorgeous cinematography. This movie doesn't take place on earth. It takes place on Planet Iglesia. Alex de la Iglesia directed this in a way that no one else could've. Its like someone took Tarantino's affinity for violence and dark humor, Jeunet's visual grace, and Burton's energy and put them all in a bag and shook it up! An unforgettable work of art! Fantastic!
½ April 30, 2014
Well, here's another film that gives me a reason .... no wait it does not give me a reason, as a matter of fact, The Last Circus made me think more about clowns, yes they scare us because we can't see they true identity, their make up hide their true being, who's they guy hidding under that make up? But the movie tells the story about Javier, a poor fatty boy, curiously I identified myself with him, who had many horrible experiences during his childhood (although he never was a child), like World War II, his father being killed by the Spanish army, and many years later he tries to keep his family old job, being a clown, this time a sad clown, he falls in love with the circus' owner's hot wife, and upon this, the sad clown becomes the murdering sad clown. Yes this movie explores the dark side of the circus and their workers, they're not always funny. The movie has it's dark, funny and ironic style but the ending wasn't satisfying and absurd, however enjoyable.
March 9, 2014
Fantastic Spanish thriller with darkly comedic undertones dealing with revenge, clowns, and the legacy of the Spanish Civil War. Amazing visuals and set pieces compliment the increasingly surreal (though, surprisingly grounded) storyline. Goes in directions unexpected but not illogical. Really great stuff. Another great film by Álex de la Iglesia.
March 8, 2014
good period piece reminded me of better period pieces from fellini.
½ March 5, 2014
Thought it would be more cult in style, now it turns out to be a rather serious drama instead.