Reviews

• Nov 17, 2021

Very beautiful animation of the scenery and of the characters. Story is fascinating and it made me cry 😭

• Jun 08, 2021

Beautiful scenery but absolutely horrible plot with zero character development that made it frustrating and unbearable to watch. I nearly didn't finish it and am now left utterly frustrated that I've wasted an hour and a half of my life for this tragic excuse of a movie.

• Mar 02, 2021

Wow. I'm impressed this film was enjoyed by some. The visual details are great and the animation very nice, but the story is absolute trash. We are dropped in this magical world without context, no lore, strange plotholes (So the rat lady goes to human land... and ? ) ... The characters are forgettable and bland. Every scene is almost a stand alone with no link to past and future scenes. There are so many plot threads that lead no where. All the dialogue is very bland and just boring. This film was so frustrating, because it had great potential, but it is totally ruined by the terrible story. Stay away unless you are deaf and you just want to see nice pictures.

• Feb 07, 2021

Absolute trainrwreck. The story feels like it's written by a 12-year-old. The only redeeming part about this movie is the visuals. Not worth watching.

• Jan 31, 2021

it's a beautiful and emotional story with a lovely style of art and design to it.

• Dec 30, 2020

Its a wonderfull movie. the story is poetic and reflective and the animation has frames so beautiful they could be a painting

• Dec 28, 2020

Animation looks great but not the story line. If you are used to ghibi anime story lines, this is just not up to standards. So many unnecessary draggy scenes. Especially the part when the big red dolphin has to part ways, it jumped and kiss one. Then jumped and kissed exactly the same. Then swim away then come back and kissed again. What happened as the woman narrating the story supposed to the the older version of the character and what exactly is the ending. It's just bad story line with beautiful animations. Safe yourself time and watch other anime movies.

• Aug 18, 2020

Inspired by ancient Chinese folktales, it delightfully blends different animation styles like anime and CGI while providing a heartwarming, fascinating and surprisingly complex narrative.

• Jul 13, 2020

I find very diffcult to understand why I just couldn't engage with the story and characters. F for the friendzoned guy. I felt that.

• May 11, 2020

It must have been a few years back when I first saw the concept art for this movie before it was even released. I was excited, I saw the potential and I couldn't wait to watch it. In fact, I wanted to watch it so bad that I remembered the movie a few years later when it was released in English so I sought it out and watched it. I have to say that I've never been so massively disappointed in a movie before. What disappointed me most was the lack of utilization of the amazing, stunning, beautiful background scenes, characters, and their powers. The story was a dull and uninteresting, done-before, story of a stupid girl falling in love and not realizing that being selfish in love leads to consequences. There are magical powers shown beyond comprehensions, beautiful nature scenes, characters with weird and interesting traits like horns, but none of these incredibly interesting details are the focus in any point of the story. The movie didn't need any of what they showed in order to make the story work. A story of a stupid lovestruck girl doesn't need a background setting infinitely more interesting than her or any of her troubles. I can only feel sorry for the creators to make all of these amazing intricate details in the story that are only shown for a small fraction of the movie. All the potential is completely flushed down the toilet in this movie. Some people compare it to Ghibli, and I can see where they're coming from, but Ghibli doesn't make the fatal mistake of making their setting more interesting than the character and their story. Ghibli fully utilizes the scenery, the objects in the background, the supporting characters, to add to the story rather than take away from it. You're left with an impression and a sense of satisfaction from watching the movie, not with frustration of how badly done the movie was and left thinking of how much better IT COULD HAVE BEEN. One time I saw beautiful pictures of a woman who must have spent thousands on an extravagant gender reveal party. It was above and beyond and you can just imagine how amazing that party must have been. But here's the kicker, it was all for a pregnant horse. That's exactly what this movie is, it sets you up for something amazing only to give you a complete joke.