Big Top Pee-wee Reviews

• Feb 07, 2019

A storm blows Cabrini Circus onto agricultural scientist Pee-Wee Herman's (Paul Reubens) farmland and Pee-Wee must help ringmaster Mace Montana (Kris Kristofferson) and the gang overcome the prejudice of the local townsfolk to put on a great show. Circuses have always provided great cinematic fodder, ever since the days of Charlie Chaplin getting caught in a lion's cage sixty years earlier. Unfortunately, placing your characters in the context of a circus doesn't always produce a guaranteed winner. Pee-Wee's character is much more abrasive in this sequel, particularly when dealing with two old ladies while trying to acquire a cheese sandwich. He's also a bit of a pervert this time around as well. Seriously, he's jumping on his fiancee Winnie (Penelope Ann Miller) every chance he gets and what's with his fetishistic attraction to hair? Even when properly meeting Gina Piccolapupula (Valeria Golino) for the first time, he ogles her cleavage until he passes out! This is not the Pee-Wee I remember from the original motion picture. "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" was one crazy set-up after another with very little downtime. "Big Top Pee-Wee" has long stretches where I caught myself glancing at my watch and wondering when the next moderate chuckle would arrive. So much of this film simply falls flat on its face. Vance, the talking pig, didn't seem like a good idea to me when I was young and the movie was newly released - now he's downright intolerable. Jokes about bulimia and sexual intercourse feel out of place in a Pee-Wee film. It's nice to hear Danny Elfman's returning score, but Tim Burton's creativity and outlandish style are sorely missed in the directorial chair. Randal Kleiser certainly wasn't up to the task of filling Burton's boots. Reubens' childlike innocence in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" struck audiences as if it were a magical lightning bolt. I guess it's true what they say: lightning never strikes the same place twice.

• Jan 30, 2019

eh was okay classic pee wee

eh was okay classic pee wee

• Nov 29, 2018

I love Paul Rueben's character of Pee Wee so much, but this film is just awful. Sorry Pee Wee! :-(

• May 13, 2016

Either you get it or you don't.

Either you get it or you don't.

• Mar 05, 2016

An awful sequel to a classic, at no point during this movie did I find myself being entertained.

• Feb 26, 2016

I never saw this whole thing. It was really bad but who doesn't love Pee-wee?

I never saw this whole thing. It was really bad but who doesn't love Pee-wee?

• Nov 19, 2015

My least favorite of the Pee-Wee movies although I like Kris Kristofferson's character.

• Aug 12, 2015

Okay, pseudo sequel to the classic Tim Burton film "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." It's not an official sequel because this film was done by another film studio, though you could arguable say this film starts with Pee Wee being famous from the James Brolin film adaptation of his quest to find his bike in the first film. Pee Wee then quickly finds fame tiring and seeks out the simple life as a farmer. His quiet farm life is then interrupted when a traveling circus comes to his farm (which includes Kris Kristofferson as the ring master, Susan Tyrell as a little woman, and Benicio Del Toro in his film debut as Duke the Dog-Faced Boy), much to the chagrin of the crotchety old townsfolk. Pee Wee falls in love the the beautiful trapeze artist, Valeria Golino (who I'd forgotten about and who is absolutely gorgeous) over his school teacher girlfriend, Penelope Ann Miller, who then also falls in love with circus folk of her own. It's all pretty silly and the humor is certainly consistent with Pee Wee's first film, but if there was ever any question of whether "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" was a classic because of Tim Burton or Paul Reuens, this film offers a definitive answer. "Big Top Pee Wee" clearly lacks the quirky style of director Tim Burton and this film pales in comparison, lacking Burton's unique of often surreal touch. There's no Large Marge, no camping scenes with cartoon eyes, no giant dinosaurs or cleverly filmed scenes like Pee Wee stomping through dark rainy streets, hitchhiking or fighting a friend in a bathtub as if they were Godzilla and Mechagodzilla. You do at least get a good Danny Elfman score as you did in the original, but this film sorely missed Tim Burton.

• Apr 15, 2015

A sequel without the cleverness or originality of the first movie....quite boring.

• Feb 26, 2015

Pee-Wee still has it, though the rest of the cast was trying too hard and the script could've been a bit better worked.