Blast From the Past Reviews

• 6d ago

A romantic comedy that I thought was kind of dull. The concept an idea are good. The overall movie though has a lot of padding and filler. If you like Rom-cons you'll probably enjoy it.

• Sep 14, 2019

Before entering a new millennium, this picture cleverly unveils a statement regarding the degrading societal evolution with a sense of culture clashing through differential periods, which positions this as another time capsule flick released in 1999. Although silly and felt rather unbalanced, it is an enjoyable comedy with Silverton's performance as the main charismatic highlight over Fraser's too innocently silly demonstration. (B)

• Jul 25, 2019

Utterly adorable, charming and memorable movie. Cast is stellar and it is apparently too clever for the general public, based on those stupid scores I see here.

• Sep 18, 2018

• Jul 30, 2018

This is a cute, albeit forgettable comedy romance about a man who comes out in the real world after living in a nuclear fallout shelter all his life. Strange to see both Alicia Silverstone and Brendon Fraser completely fall off the face of this Earth now but back in 1999 they were as big a stars as one could be. The chemistry is lacking to be honest and the film sort of just plods through though there are some cute moments scattered about. Blast from the Past is a decent watch if there is nothing else to see. Otherwise you're better off renting Clueless or The Mummy.(A decent Alicia Silverstone starrer).

• Jun 26, 2018

• Mar 18, 2018

LOVE this movie! Just a fun, nice original movie.

LOVE this movie! Just a fun, nice original movie.

• Nov 20, 2017

I had fond memories of this movie from when I was younger, so I was thoroughly excited to watch it again. The first thing I will say is that I am impressed with the logic underlying this ridiculous premise. It’s so ludicrous, and yet it actually makes sense in the way they construct the setup. So, if you’re willing to go with the movie on the idea that a man who has lived his entire life in a nuclear shelter might have some antiquated ideas about how to live life, then you can get some real enjoyment out of Blast from the Past. However, there is one element that I will grudgingly admit doesn’t work in this movie, and that is Alicia Silverstone. Watching it now that my crush on her has somewhat passed, I realize she is terrible in this movie. She is blatantly miscast as this tough girl who constantly makes bad decisions and goes for bad guys, but her personality is too sugary sweet to ever pull off this bad girl persona. Brendan Fraser is decent at playing the naive and charming man plucked straight out of the 1960s, although his turn to maturity is perhaps a bit abrupt and forced. The true highlights of the cast, though, are Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek as the parents. These two are both quirky and funny, but not in such a wacky fashion that the characters become ridiculous. Overall, I still think Blast from the Past is a sweet romantic comedy, that falls short of being great mostly because of one horrible casting choice.

• Nov 10, 2017

Haven't seen this in well over a decade but several very memorable scenes in a very cheesy but still very funny, easily enjoyable, charming rom-com with a great cast.

• Sep 05, 2017

Love this movie! Still funny after all these years! Sissy Spacek is hilarious!

Love this movie! Still funny after all these years! Sissy Spacek is hilarious!