Bringing Out the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bringing Out the Dead Reviews

½ November 2, 2017
When you hear "a Scorsese film written by Paul Schrader about a man who slowly loses his mind as he spends his nights driving all over New York," you immediately think you're going to be in for more than just a treat. Well. There's "Taxi Driver" and then there's "Bringing Out The Dead," which is by no means a particularly bad movie (I think we can all assume Scorsese is incapable of such things), but one with a crippling lack of direction and purpose. Is this a movie about the meaning of life and death? Is this a movie about existence and the meaning of life? Is this a drug trip movie? Well, yes to all three. The movie is all of these things, but unfortunately not at the same time. Things just aren't consistent enough for me to understand the end game here. It certainly looks cool and the aspect ratio grew on me after a while, but at the end of it all, it really just made me feel cold and confused.
August 15, 2017
Good actors. Most definitely on the emotional side which I don't find overly interested.
½ August 3, 2017
Another of many Scorsese films about New York, its inhabitants, their plight, troubles. This city is too big to be just another city. It's like a separate universe of its own. This movie is like a surreal adventure that you are taking along with the paramedic Frank, played by Nicolas Cage. Patricia Arquette is a beautiful supplement.
July 31, 2017
Didn't rewatch recently so fudging the rating
½ February 25, 2017
Every time I see Scorsese at work, it feels like every other film I've seen before it pales in comparison. There simply is no other visual maestro like him, and anyone who says otherwise holds him in such high regard that they feel the need to find every opportunity they can to knock him down a few pegs. Say what you will about this film, but it's a masterwork. The sheer pace and energy is justified by the sleepless rapid lifestyle of our protagonist, Frank Pierce. His various partners, his love interest, his haunting failure Rose, Noel and Mr. O, Red Death and Cy Coates, the guard with the sunglasses, the apathetic doctor - I love this crazy quirky world he lives in, how they interact with each other, the chemistry is flawless. Scorsese has the ability to take a great script, like what Schrader brought to the table, and make it feel so lived in, so raw and authentic, yet never losing a proper sense of surrealism. Richardson's photography is dreamy, flashing colors, glowing whites, mist filters, tilting the city sideways. It never fails to be interesting.
February 7, 2017
Scorcese and Cage at their best. Master filmmaking.
½ January 23, 2017
Hard to make a call on Bringing Out The Dead. It's a strange blend of drama and black humor, but I'd have trouble even determining if there is a plot here. I'm giving it 2.5 stars because I laughed A LOT, which is awesome... but I also spent A LOT of time asking myself things like "is this thing over yet?", "what's the point of this movie?" and "what does this boring scene have to do with anything?".
January 17, 2017
Excellent movie. Even without any true conflict driving its characters, the film is nonetheless a stylish, thrilling, compelling and intense story featuring some profound direction and great performances, especially Cage, Arquette, Anthony and Rhames.
April 18, 2016
I respect when directors break the mold and do something a little different. In this film Scorsese creates a film with a dream like feel. The lighting the special effects, and camera work are all a departure from his usual style. That being said I liked this film but I also felt there just wasn't enough there to keep my interest, it felt like the same thing happening over and over. It's worth a watch for the great music, and creative shots and effects that Scorsese's lends to this film.
February 14, 2016
Rewatch. Scorsese and Shrader return to the late night streets of New York. This time the city is shown through the lense of an ambulance driver. Cage is the balls as is the support from Goodman, Rhames and Sizemore (it really does pain me I think of how the latter's career turned out. As always with a Scorsese film the soundtrack is quality. Johnny Thunders, The Clash, R.E.M, and great use Throughout of Van Morrison's T.B Sheets.
December 19, 2015
This is about a weekend in the life of a New York ambulance driver played by Nicolas Cage who, surprise surprise, is a drunk depressive, again. Scorsese does some nice things to put you in a spin as the story sprials downwards but there isn't much to make this an outstanding film about it.
½ September 18, 2015
If Travis Bickle were to trade his taxi cab for an ambulance, we'd of had "Bringing Out the Dead" back in 1976. This is definitely the closest Martin Scorsese has ever come to a tearjerker.
½ August 7, 2015
Left me with a "meh" feeling. I didn't find myself caring about many of the characters. Definitely Scorsese's weakest film that I've seen
August 2, 2015
Taxi Driver versión paramédicos, con ambientes opresivos, y crudeza de muchas situaciones, pero acaba siendo irónicamente divertida, con un magnífico Nicolas Cage.
July 4, 2015
Scorsese cria grandes personagens afundados em uma Nova York tão perigosa quanto a de Taxi Driver. Nicolas Cage em ponto alto da carreira.
June 23, 2015
PLEASE BRING BACK I BE BANGIN!
½ April 21, 2015
Yeah, I can relate...
½ March 14, 2015
Decent flick, but missing something. Loved the premise - an ambulance driver burning out on the job, and all the craziness that adds to it.
Gritty, chaotic, and in-your-face at times, even with a bit of magic from Scorsese, this was not accessible enough for audiences which I think led to it being a box office bomb.
Sadly.
I watched this not knowing the poor box office, only that Scorsese directed.
Despite the great pedigree of acting and the strong budget, there are problems. You will see his hand in this, but also that the sum of the parts don't resonate completely to make a better whole.
I did get insight from the dvd extra with the author of the source book who explained that after 5 months of training, he was put into the driver seat.
You have to hear him talk about it to get the full effect.
Honestly, any episode of Chicago Fire will be a notch better than this - more emotionally engaging, endearing, and even humorous.
Maybe too slick and unengaging in the end.
2.5 out of 5
March 12, 2015
Working in EMS requires a lot of adrenaline and enough strength not to be afflicted by the ones you cannot save. Frank Pierce and Mary Burke are looking for their redemption but they don't know where to search. One anthology scene when Marcus, Frank's partner that night, improvises a "miracle resuscitation" for a junky, taking advantage of their mates.