Bringing Out the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bringing Out the Dead Reviews

April 18, 2016
I respect when directors break the mold and do something a little different. In this film Scorsese creates a film with a dream like feel. The lighting the special effects, and camera work are all a departure from his usual style. That being said I liked this film but I also felt there just wasn't enough there to keep my interest, it felt like the same thing happening over and over. It's worth a watch for the great music, and creative shots and effects that Scorsese's lends to this film.
February 14, 2016
Rewatch. Scorsese and Shrader return to the late night streets of New York. This time the city is shown through the lense of an ambulance driver. Cage is the balls as is the support from Goodman, Rhames and Sizemore (it really does pain me I think of how the latter's career turned out. As always with a Scorsese film the soundtrack is quality. Johnny Thunders, The Clash, R.E.M, and great use Throughout of Van Morrison's T.B Sheets.
December 19, 2015
This is about a weekend in the life of a New York ambulance driver played by Nicolas Cage who, surprise surprise, is a drunk depressive, again. Scorsese does some nice things to put you in a spin as the story sprials downwards but there isn't much to make this an outstanding film about it.
½ September 18, 2015
If Travis Bickle were to trade his taxi cab for an ambulance, we'd of had "Bringing Out the Dead" back in 1976. This is definitely the closest Martin Scorsese has ever come to a tearjerker.
½ August 7, 2015
Left me with a "meh" feeling. I didn't find myself caring about many of the characters. Definitely Scorsese's weakest film that I've seen
August 2, 2015
Taxi Driver versión paramédicos, con ambientes opresivos, y crudeza de muchas situaciones, pero acaba siendo irónicamente divertida, con un magnífico Nicolas Cage.
July 4, 2015
Scorsese cria grandes personagens afundados em uma Nova York tão perigosa quanto a de Taxi Driver. Nicolas Cage em ponto alto da carreira.
June 23, 2015
PLEASE BRING BACK I BE BANGIN!
½ April 21, 2015
Yeah, I can relate...
½ March 14, 2015
Decent flick, but missing something. Loved the premise - an ambulance driver burning out on the job, and all the craziness that adds to it.
Gritty, chaotic, and in-your-face at times, even with a bit of magic from Scorsese, this was not accessible enough for audiences which I think led to it being a box office bomb.
Sadly.
I watched this not knowing the poor box office, only that Scorsese directed.
Despite the great pedigree of acting and the strong budget, there are problems. You will see his hand in this, but also that the sum of the parts don't resonate completely to make a better whole.
I did get insight from the dvd extra with the author of the source book who explained that after 5 months of training, he was put into the driver seat.
You have to hear him talk about it to get the full effect.
Honestly, any episode of Chicago Fire will be a notch better than this - more emotionally engaging, endearing, and even humorous.
Maybe too slick and unengaging in the end.
2.5 out of 5
March 12, 2015
Working in EMS requires a lot of adrenaline and enough strength not to be afflicted by the ones you cannot save. Frank Pierce and Mary Burke are looking for their redemption but they don't know where to search. One anthology scene when Marcus, Frank's partner that night, improvises a "miracle resuscitation" for a junky, taking advantage of their mates.
½ February 16, 2015
With a great performance by Nicolas Cage, Bringing Out the Dead is an interesting character study.
½ January 3, 2015
Nicolas Cage gives it his all in Scorsese's dark, compelling look at the psychology of a paramedic -- even if the pacing is a bit too slow for some.
½ October 30, 2014
amazing acting my cage..well directed by scorsese..it reminds you a little of taxi driver..must watch..brilliant movie..
October 9, 2014
It's not scorsese's best, but it's still great.
October 4, 2014
Scorsese and Cage's most underrated film ever.
½ July 29, 2014
This movie is a slice of life during one weekend of a person's life, which realistically depicts the cost of working as a first responder. You are called to intervene at the worst time in a person's life and rarely know the outcome. The weight of witnessing the suffering takes its toll and individuals cope as best they can.
June 21, 2014
This film is a mess, but I love it. Cage nails it as a deeply empathetic, spiritual paramedic who just can't take it anymore. Multiple "cage outs", trippy miracle sequences, and an amusing Ving Rhames performance make this one of Scorsese's weirdest, and most spiritual works.
½ June 7, 2014
The best part of this movie for me what the intense feeling of the streets of new york like you have never seen or felt them before. There is also an uncomfortable tone and pace to this movie in a good way. This is definitely Scorsese's "trippiest" movie, it felt like jacob's ladder (1990) many times. It all just doesn't seem to work except for those parts. I didn't really feel a connection or relation to any of that characters. Maybe I'm holding it to a high standard because i expect better from Scorsese.