Broken City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken City Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 6, 2016
Great acting from a great cast that is consistently marred by a vague script with too many stories to tell and too many major plot templates that are either too complex to understand or too vague to notice. Wahlberg is the highlight; his character is very likeable, increasingly so as the film progresses. Might be inclined to watch this again, just to satisfy my taste for crime thrillers, but it's the last such film I'd recommend to my fellow filmgoer.
September 28, 2016
Cool job that Mark Wahlberg has here , Long time fun to follow , expected a better ending i gues !
½ September 24, 2016
Nearly complete attempt at film noir. Nice cinematography and script, sincere performances, but just not quite there in terms of plot development or editing.
September 13, 2016
Terrible script, a series of awkward and uncomfortable scenes with generally poor acting throughout. Walberg and Crowe are passable but its such a dull story with nothing really to say
½ August 13, 2016
Not very good. I saw too many trailers for this one.
½ May 30, 2016
Wahlberg has less range than Charles Bronson and none of his charisma. This movie should have ended 45 minutes ago. I suppose I have to watch it until the bitter end.
May 5, 2016
Feels like a Shooter type Mark Walberg movie, where the acting isn't bad, yet it really isn't past decent. Russel Crowe is better, nothing great by his standards either though, yet his character is somehow very interesting and well played. It's a basic plot, and if you've watched the trailer before pressing play, which there's a good chance you have, you've seen literally the whole plot of the movie, yet even without the 2 and a half minute spoiler they call a trailer, you could call the shots before they happen by a good cunk of time. The story is a simple one, Mark is hired to find the one who Russell's wife is cheating on him with, who openly begins a conversation with Mark and then turns up dead. The mayor has him rope around his neck and they both can bring the other down but not without bringing down themselves as well. Naturally Mark does what's right and gets the mayor and himself locked up. There's not much else to it, the story is pretty bland, the acting is so so, it is interesting and still holds our attention I guess, butter fact that I'm writing this a week after u watched the movie and could barely remember it, it shows its just another basic movie that just kinda gets lost. Could it be better, yes with better acting, deeper story, a trailer that didn't spoil every event in the movie, maybe it could be up to 8/10. But that's generous, as it stands it's just another small movie in Walberg's and Crowe's rather prestigious careers, which can be saved for a rainy day.
May 2, 2016
another example of when a description makes the movie seem a lot better than it really is. I was really pumped to watch this but wow it was disappointing.
plus there were some parts of the ending that didn't make a lot of sense or were way too outlandish ti be true
April 17, 2016
step one, get two big name actors step two tell add nothing else to the movie
½ April 10, 2016
A good cast, great cinematography and good music can't elvate Broken City, whose story is both thin and dumb. It is still midly entertaining but nothing special.
½ April 2, 2016
The movie had potential but there were so many loose ends that were hastily and messily tied up (or not at all). Also, there was a lack of character development and you really sort of feel you only got half the story.
½ January 25, 2016
Really could of been better with the actors in this film
January 17, 2016
Looks Dull, Looks like any other action flick!
½ January 12, 2016
Broken City is the worst movie I've ever seen.
January 9, 2016
Fairly boring film, although the performances from Jeffrey Wright and Catherine Zeta-Jones save it from being bad.

Russell Crowe is one of my all-time fave actors, but I feel his performance here is pretty one-note and forgettable. I don't blame him though, Hughes's direction was possibly the cause for this issue.
½ December 4, 2015
"Broken City" gets by as a more than serviceable noir-thriller by the commanding presences of Mark Wahlberg and the slick as hell Russell Crowe. It's good, trashy entertainment.
½ October 8, 2015
The story of corruption in high political office is certainly not a new theme in cinema. Russell Crowe stumbles through his part and Catherine Zeta Jones feels underused. Mark Wahlberg is much more comfortable with his running around lead action part and the fact that this film has a decent pace to it makes it watchable.
½ September 20, 2015
boo. should've been better.