Broken City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken City Reviews

½ May 30, 2016
Wahlberg has less range than Charles Bronson and none of his charisma. This movie should have ended 45 minutes ago. I suppose I have to watch it until the bitter end.
May 5, 2016
Feels like a Shooter type Mark Walberg movie, where the acting isn't bad, yet it really isn't past decent. Russel Crowe is better, nothing great by his standards either though, yet his character is somehow very interesting and well played. It's a basic plot, and if you've watched the trailer before pressing play, which there's a good chance you have, you've seen literally the whole plot of the movie, yet even without the 2 and a half minute spoiler they call a trailer, you could call the shots before they happen by a good cunk of time. The story is a simple one, Mark is hired to find the one who Russell's wife is cheating on him with, who openly begins a conversation with Mark and then turns up dead. The mayor has him rope around his neck and they both can bring the other down but not without bringing down themselves as well. Naturally Mark does what's right and gets the mayor and himself locked up. There's not much else to it, the story is pretty bland, the acting is so so, it is interesting and still holds our attention I guess, butter fact that I'm writing this a week after u watched the movie and could barely remember it, it shows its just another basic movie that just kinda gets lost. Could it be better, yes with better acting, deeper story, a trailer that didn't spoil every event in the movie, maybe it could be up to 8/10. But that's generous, as it stands it's just another small movie in Walberg's and Crowe's rather prestigious careers, which can be saved for a rainy day.
May 2, 2016
another example of when a description makes the movie seem a lot better than it really is. I was really pumped to watch this but wow it was disappointing.
plus there were some parts of the ending that didn't make a lot of sense or were way too outlandish ti be true
April 17, 2016
step one, get two big name actors step two tell add nothing else to the movie
½ April 10, 2016
A good cast, great cinematography and good music can't elvate Broken City, whose story is both thin and dumb. It is still midly entertaining but nothing special.
½ April 2, 2016
The movie had potential but there were so many loose ends that were hastily and messily tied up (or not at all). Also, there was a lack of character development and you really sort of feel you only got half the story.
½ January 25, 2016
Really could of been better with the actors in this film
January 17, 2016
Looks Dull, Looks like any other action flick!
½ January 12, 2016
Broken City is the worst movie I've ever seen.
January 9, 2016
Fairly boring film, although the performances from Jeffrey Wright and Catherine Zeta-Jones save it from being bad.

Russell Crowe is one of my all-time fave actors, but I feel his performance here is pretty one-note and forgettable. I don't blame him though, Hughes's direction was possibly the cause for this issue.
½ December 4, 2015
"Broken City" gets by as a more than serviceable noir-thriller by the commanding presences of Mark Wahlberg and the slick as hell Russell Crowe. It's good, trashy entertainment.
½ October 8, 2015
The story of corruption in high political office is certainly not a new theme in cinema. Russell Crowe stumbles through his part and Catherine Zeta Jones feels underused. Mark Wahlberg is much more comfortable with his running around lead action part and the fact that this film has a decent pace to it makes it watchable.
½ September 20, 2015
boo. should've been better.
August 29, 2015
Ridiculous movie. Very poorly done.
August 24, 2015
A little bit old fashioned. A wasted role for all 3 stars. Walberg plays dumb, Crowe OTT and Zeta Jones bland. A corrupt mayor is a silly thriller yawn
½ August 15, 2015
Not bad, but not very exciting either.
½ August 15, 2015
I had a major fear about this movie before watching it... I had this awful feeling that there would be too much Mark Wahlberg and not enough Russell Crowe. I was right. Russell is one of my favorite actors and while each of his scenes were great as usual, they were too few and far between! Wahlberg played his usual self and the story was incredibly confusing which led to both Mark and I appearing lost. I will say though, the ending was very exciting. I wish the rest of the movie could have been that good!
½ August 3, 2015
Broken City has everything a great political thriller needs, but fails to demonstrate it
July 29, 2015
Really run of the mill political drama. Bleak, cold, dark New York setting makes it quickly apparent that corruption will be rife in the ensuing Mayoral race. There to pull all the pieces together is an incredibly slow and reliably unconvincing Mark Wahlberg. Catherin Zeta-Jones puts on a hammy performance and Crowe plays the obvious fall guy. This is horrible, predictable, schmalzy. Strangely the plot never even fully reconciles the main leads romantic interest. There's no consistency yo the relationship and then suddenly the whole story abruptly stops. Almost everything about this film is dreadful. Not a fan to say the least.