Certain Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Certain Women Reviews

½ July 24, 2017
I was really ready to love this movie. Takes place in Montana already has my interest. The trailers I kept seeing OnDemand adds looked great. And that's where it ends. 107 mins of waiting and watching and waiting for something ANYTHING to happen. Nothing. The 3 main characters walk passed each other in the background shot. I get it, not every movie is a nail-biting crazy thriller but this? It was nothing. I love Montana! Its a staple of my childhood summers and that's the only good thing I can say about this movie.
July 19, 2017
Excellent character-study follow-up to Reichardt's "Meek's Cutoff."

Three story-lines play out and follow briefly four female lives in small-town Montana. An attorney, a married Mother of a teenage daughter, a ranch-hand, and a just-starting-out lawyer. There is nothing extra-ordinary about any of these lives; but patient viewers will watch enraptured, and indeed become quite concerned with, what happens in each of these characters' stories.

Very difficult to describe this film. Each character is shown to be at-odds or out-of-step with their own lives in some way. How they deal with conflict (and disappointment) is what drives this film along its inexorable, winding path.

All four leads are excellent in their roles. Your only grief will be wanting to know more, so much more, about each when the film is over.

What is compelling this attorney to assist a client who won't take "No" for an answer? Why is this Mother so at opposite ends with her family? And why is a lonely farm-hand so taken in by a reluctant female instructor of school law?

It is up to our imaginations to fill in blanks. These lives could mirror our own, if cameras pointed to us during our daily grinds; but especially in those times events knocked us off balance. Reichardt's camera delivers off-kilter drama that captures feelings of doubt and quiet desperation in each of these characters that you'll feel down to your innards.

"Certain Women" doesn't deliver a "knock-out" punch...you'll realize it wins on points long after it's over, and you're still pondering each mini-tragic tale.
½ July 13, 2017
WTF? I can't believe I spent $4.99 on this. Literally NOTHING happened. A girl bought some rocks. A girl taught a class. A girl was lawyer. The end. Do not waste your time!
July 9, 2017
102 minutes of my life that I could have done something more exciting like watching paint dry. Pointless and boring.
July 2, 2017
Slow, flat, but in a nice way...
½ April 30, 2017
I want to write Reichardt a letter and thank her for making this, I guess. When I watched the trailer for the movie it was a bunch of slam-dunk moments in quick succession. Moments of 'there's sexism happening now, clearly, you can see it'. I imagined the film would be one big sassy call out.

I was wrong btw.

Turns out that sexism is slow and ongoing and insidious, and not always external or something you can point to. There were scenes that I could relate to that I've never seen on screen before, which was validating but equally infuriating. These aren't experiences or realities I enjoy seeing on screen, actually. These are women who are really real in the way that I am and, in that way, the film isn't exactly an escape. But it gives a shared language and it was really beautiful.
½ April 25, 2017
It is very uninteresting and dull to watch the banality of these women's lives, and while the film does have a good cast, I can't find any meaning in this poorly-put-together anthology of which only the last story seems to have something to say after all.
April 9, 2017
the movie has no music until the last 5 min and the pacing is very slow which will turn off so many viewers
but the actresses are great and their performances
the last story is somewhat interesting, I'll give them that
love Michelle Williams, Laura Dern, and Kristen Stewart
the stories barely interconnect 100% though
should've been so much better
April 3, 2017
A real snoozer with no hint of a plot. Great for dozing on transatlantic flights.
½ March 30, 2017
A melancholic drama. Actually the embodiment of melancholy. I liked it as a combination of three unconnected stories which is weird. The whole movie is different and unconventional,yet I think would be boring for most.
March 26, 2017
A touching and poignant tale about three different women trying to find their way in a world where examples of sexism still represent a wall in which they must learn to climb over. The narrative unfolds in such a way that all three stories intersect, with each intersection providing a window into the individual struggles, joys and fears that their stories embody. My understanding is that the film actually fuses three different source stories, and so it is interesting to watch the way in which they connect. It's a quiet movie, perhaps too quiet for some, but there is a certain beauty to be found in the silence, and the performances each give themselves to unwrapping this beauty in an emotional and patient manner.
½ March 25, 2017
Absolutely loved it! Had someone described it to me, I'd have said "HELL no! I'm not watching that", but I hadn't heard of it. I had read the 'blurb' which really could mean anything. I found that it reminded me of several other quirky films that I like, and at the same time, it's not like anything. I found it very funny in places, intriguing and engaging, despite its pace, and I would recommend it. I have recommended it. Lots to think about, lots to discuss - or do neither and just absorb and consider. I'm doing the latter. Be interesting to watch again, with people who have not seen it, to hear what they think and how they respond as it's going on. That's my two penn'orth. Enjoy!
March 17, 2017
This movie was sooooo boring. I watched it on a plane. The whole time watching I thought "this is so boring, there must be a cool twist at the end! II watched the whole thing only to be SHOCKED that there could actually be a movie so boring.
March 13, 2017
This will certainly stay with me. I can only but feel a deep sadness after viewing it.
March 7, 2017
This movie was so clearly made by a woman, made with brilliant women and for so many women. This movie is a rare bird, showing such strength in stillness. Incredible cinematography, with some very intimate shots. I felt such empathy for these stories, in some ways little unassuming stories, extremely honest stories. Lily Gladstone performance was incredibly moving. I left the cinema very grateful, and eager for more films from and for the female gaze. Happy International women's day!
March 1, 2017
In times of CGI and crazy dynamic plots, a quiet movie that says so much and stays with you. Somehow equally depressing and optimistic.
March 1, 2017
In times of CGI and crazy dynamic plots, a quiet movies that says so much and stays with you.
½ January 24, 2017
Absolutely terrible. The only redeeming qualities about this film are the wonderful cast (who must have struggled with such a piece of crap pointless story line, which they acted on beautifully), and the gorgeous scenery which was captured so well that I actually felt the cold Montana air while watching it. Those are the only reasons I gave this filf a half star, otherwise it would be zero or negative stars. This film is completely boring and pointless from start to finish, to the point I was angry at the person who made it. I signed up for this account on Rotten Tomatoes just to write this review and save everyone two hours of their life and skip this one. (I'm the guy who loves weird movies and boring dramas that nobody else likes, and even I hated this one. That's saying a lot.)
January 23, 2017
Like a lot of Reichdart's films, it lingers with you for days and becomes more effective the longer it sits with you. Nailed the same mixture of melancholy and peacefulness as some of her other work. Lily Gladstone gave a beautiful performance. As always most of the communication is done through the silence between characters. It's odd how comforting a movie about independent but unfulfilled women can be.