Certain Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Certain Women Reviews

½ January 1, 2018
This was a student film? It was a waste of true talent. The actresses in it are great but this was a dead script and negligent direction. Total bore. No point unless you grasp at "feces for women," being the point. Not original. Very surprised Dern or Williams took this film.
½ December 30, 2017
A waste of a perfectly good 90 minutes; happy I didn't pay money to watch it
December 23, 2017
It's certainly not your typical movie, but I loved it. Having grown up in a small rural town, and now living in a large northeastern metropolitan area for over 30 years, I found this movie brought me back to my roots. I found it relatable and insightful. I can imagine that the attorneys life in rural America is so very different from a city lawyer. It would be rare for any male attorney to have such a sympathetic relationship with their client. I also loved the quiet solitude and simple life of the ranch hand. I've known a few cowboys in my day, and have found most relish the quiet life, as the woman did in this movie.
½ December 22, 2017
Kelly Reichardt un director a tomar en cuenta.
December 19, 2017
A melancholic drama. Actually the embodiment of melancholy. I liked it as a combination of three unconnected stories which is weird. The whole movie is different and unconventional,yet I think would be boring for most.
December 9, 2017
This is hands-down, no question, without a single doubt, the worst movie I have ever wasted my time watching. I feel robbed of life, no plot, nothing interesting, even depressingly boring. Play it if you have insomnia, or recommend it to someone you hate.
December 9, 2017
This is typical indie fare. Sepia-toned and not a lot happens. Three loosely interwoven tales, with four fabulous acting performances. The third tale is the strongest. Beautiful and haunting in equal measure.
December 7, 2017
Loved this movie. One of the best I've seen on loneliness and selfishness. Lilly Gladstone outshone the 3 female "stars" by far. She didn't have a lot of lines, but she didn't need them. You knew what she was thinking from her facial expressions, movement, etc. I hope she has a great career in front of her - she deserves it. Great direction too.
November 2, 2017
Three stories about 3 different women from the southwestern rural part of America. All three are told with a delicate touch. Simple stories but with a more profound meaning than most movies. I really enjoyed each of them.
October 12, 2017
There's a quiet feminism to each of the three narratives that is always simmering in the background. This isn't new for Reichardt but it feels more focused here.
October 8, 2017
Full of quiet empathy
½ September 30, 2017
boring, cold and more of the same typical KR we've come to slightly enjoy.
½ September 16, 2017
I was drawn to this movie because of the cast, so I gave it a shot.
What a waste of my evening?!
This is such a boring and meaningless movie, watch it only if your alternative is The News!
Although, the news might be a better choice as well!
September 8, 2017
Comtemplative and thoroughly downbeat.
½ August 28, 2017
Tales of the ordinary with strong performances but perhaps a bit too trivial.
½ August 27, 2017
Boring waste of time
½ July 28, 2017
The acting is superb but the plotting and script so very slow and plodding .
½ July 24, 2017
I was really ready to love this movie. Takes place in Montana already has my interest. The trailers I kept seeing OnDemand adds looked great. And that's where it ends. 107 mins of waiting and watching and waiting for something ANYTHING to happen. Nothing. The 3 main characters walk passed each other in the background shot. I get it, not every movie is a nail-biting crazy thriller but this? It was nothing. I love Montana! Its a staple of my childhood summers and that's the only good thing I can say about this movie.
July 19, 2017
Excellent character-study follow-up to Reichardt's "Meek's Cutoff."

Three story-lines play out and follow briefly four female lives in small-town Montana. An attorney, a married Mother of a teenage daughter, a ranch-hand, and a just-starting-out lawyer. There is nothing extra-ordinary about any of these lives; but patient viewers will watch enraptured, and indeed become quite concerned with, what happens in each of these characters' stories.

Very difficult to describe this film. Each character is shown to be at-odds or out-of-step with their own lives in some way. How they deal with conflict (and disappointment) is what drives this film along its inexorable, winding path.

All four leads are excellent in their roles. Your only grief will be wanting to know more, so much more, about each when the film is over.

What is compelling this attorney to assist a client who won't take "No" for an answer? Why is this Mother so at opposite ends with her family? And why is a lonely farm-hand so taken in by a reluctant female instructor of school law?

It is up to our imaginations to fill in blanks. These lives could mirror our own, if cameras pointed to us during our daily grinds; but especially in those times events knocked us off balance. Reichardt's camera delivers off-kilter drama that captures feelings of doubt and quiet desperation in each of these characters that you'll feel down to your innards.

"Certain Women" doesn't deliver a "knock-out" punch...you'll realize it wins on points long after it's over, and you're still pondering each mini-tragic tale.