Chances Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chances Are Reviews

June 19, 2016
Dead man falls in love with his daughter in this weird romantic comedy.
½ May 7, 2016
A man falls in love with his daughter in this very confusing reincarnation comedy that tries for romance because dating your dad is just........ewww, gross!
April 19, 2016
Liked this one. Man gets to heaven and in rushing to get back down to Earth his handler doesn't give him a shot to erase his memory of his previous life. In his new life, as he grows to adulthood his reentered into the lives he once knew.
March 29, 2016
Charming, funny and heartfelt, Chances Are tugs at the heartstrings and proves true love can forever---and shines with great performances by Robert Downey, Jr. and Cybill Shepherd.
March 22, 2016
Rematching this film now, it reminded me how much I like Cybill Shepherd and made me want to go back and rewatch "Moonlighting." This is a light romantic fantasy that feels like an old Hollywood throwback type of story, involving Shepherd and her new husband Christopher "Shooter" McDonald just finding out their pregnant, except that McDonald unexpectedly dies, but when he goes to heaven he demands to be reincarnated to he can reunite with Shepherd. The film then picks up 20 years later with McDonald reincarnated as Robert Downey Jr. and fitting with Shepherd's daughter, Mary Stuart Masterson, but when he meets Shepherd, there is all sorts of romantic deja vu. Shepherd and Downey are both very winning in their lead roles, but Masterson is also worth mentioning as very likable as well. Also, the very underrated Ryan O'Neal used perfectly in the role of Shepherd's dead husband's best friend who quietly pines for Shepherd. This film is completely lacking any sort of edge or dark humor, but that's not what this film is about. It's an enjoyably unashamed romantic comedy that makes no presence of being anything more, completely achieving it's goals.
October 11, 2015
The storyline wasn't that great, but the acting was. It was good to see one of my most favourite actors, Robert Downey Jr., when he was young. It is not difficult to see why he went on to greater things.
½ September 20, 2015
An odd 80s rom-com - but not unique, given it's one of a dozen 'love from beyond the grave' films. Downey Jr. is super-young and his usual charming self, but the story's a little too strange - the do I love my wife, or my daughter angle, plus the best friend that secretly loves your wife angle is hard to take. Not too many funny moments and it's all too blasť.
April 18, 2015
Totally fluffy piece of Hollywood nonsense, ideal for an evening's vegging out in front of the telly. Includes a few laughs, no credible emotions, and a predictable if slightly weird plot. Good cast in a poor movie.
½ April 16, 2015
Has it's moments and they're only because of Downey jr.
½ March 17, 2015
This was a lot of fun to watch and funny. A little silly at times, but I love movies like this.
½ January 28, 2015
Certainly a rehash of several films using similar premises that have gone before. Perhaps its greatest asset is its very light-hearted nature which makes it fairly enjoyable.
January 17, 2015
I find the movie still has charming to watch.
January 9, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie......I think that Robert downey jr, ryan o neal, mary stuart masterson, cybill shepherd, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this romance/sci-fi/fantasy/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......

Many scenes were filmed in Georgetown, along the Mall, and other parts of Washington, DC.

Chances Are received generally positive reviews from critics and currently holds a 64% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 28 reviews.

The soundtrack included the Billboard?'?s Top 10 single hit song "After All" (composed by Tom Snow and lyrics by Dean Pitchford) performed by Cher and Peter Cetera. The song peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in May 1989 and was nominated for Academy Awards Best Original Song. Another is the song of the same title sung by Johnny Mathis. Although the film contains other songs, a soundtrack album has never been released.

I think that this is such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch......I think that this is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......I think that this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch, it is such a really funny movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
November 20, 2014
½ August 14, 2013
One of Robert Downey Jr.'s weaker films. The story is pretty bizarre, even by fantasy movie standards.
August 13, 2013
I adore this movie. Funny and whimsical
April 21, 2013
It's got a good premise and a likeable cast, but it's not terribly dramatic. Personally, I don't think Robert Downey Jr. really came into his own until much later in his career.
½ April 5, 2013
feels like i'm watching another version of "BIG" minus tom hanks. it's a pretty good film with solid casts. i don't really like mary stuart masterson though. she doesn't quite hit the notch here. ryan o'neal is ryan o'neal, he's pretty much reprising his role in 'love story' (devoted lover minus the tears); alas not much to say. the one who's carrying this show is definitely cybill shepherd. i've never really cared much for her but she's definitely a looker in this film, regardless of her age. she also has that talent of drawing people in with her smile (a widow has never looked sexier). the character corinne jeffries definitely fits her. she has the knack of making the audience sympathize with her with just little effort on her part, and she can also make us understand why she makes that 'choice' in the end. robert downey is a bit over the top here, but i guess we can forego that since it is a COMEDY after all... overall, worth watching! and the ost 'after all' is definitely enchanting!
February 18, 2013
Simply put a brilliant movie, this is where the star of Robert Downey Jr began to shine, Downey for you younger people just know him for Iron Man but us that grew up with him and his movies know him for his physical comedy and comedy timing and no more does that shine in this delightful 1989 comedy "Chances Are" this movie has everything a beautiful Cybill Sheppard in her "Moonlighting" heyday, Mary Stuart Masterson just coming off of "Some kind of Wonderful" and every teenager boy fantasy and old pro Ryan O`Neal who is so appealing as the best friend who loves Corrine, Robery Downey Jr is simply terrific as Alex who`s in love with young Miranda played by Masterson, but he finds himself slowly remembering things of Corrine`s dead husband Louie. especially a hysterical dance sequence where Alex is trying to get 2 million dollars for a charity. I just seen this movie last week and i simply love this movie the song was moinated for a Oscar "After All" sung by Cher and Peter Cetera. If you haven`t seen this hidden gem, i would reccommend this HIGHLY and "Heart and Souls" a 1993 movie also with Downey, I wish Downey would do MORE Comedy movies the super hero movies. but hey that pays the bills.
½ February 3, 2013
A likable and warm-hearted comedy with engaging performances from Robert Downey Jr and Cybill Shepherd that should have broad appeal.