Chances Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chances Are Reviews

February 12, 2019
I gave this movie a 4 out of 5 rating. This movie is great in delivering laughs and touches your hard strings without developing too deep into it. The sense of humor this movie has lightens the topic of this movie. It makes this movie doesn´┐ 1/2(TM)t have the heaviness other movies that may stumble over vexing questions of race, class, and disability. The heaviness these types of movies could have often can easily move the audiences but at the same time put an uncomfortable heaviness on the audience. In this movie, there are moments that moved me, but after watching it, there isn´┐ 1/2(TM)t any of the uncomfortableness in me, the only thing I feel is the delight after watching a great movie. I very enjoy easygoing and predictable movies, which is the reason I give this movie a 4 out of 5 rating.
From about 1:30:00 in the movie the movie goes into a sad and depressed mood, this part is the only part of the movie that has a deeper feeling. The calm feeling when the two main characters reunited and the light comedy which came right after it immediately stops the deeper feeling at the right time. It gives the movie a perfect amount of deeper feeling which portraits this movie.
The casting of this movie is definitely a huge part of its success. The two actors both have played the characteristics of Phillipe and Driss perfectly. With the wrong emotions shown by the actors in the movie, the feeling of the movie could change. Especially for Phillipe, the strong facial expressions that Francois Cluzet was able to play were really able to show the completed feeling a man with a disability has.
The reason this move in my point of view can not get a full 5 out of 5 rating is that the main characters are a little too stereotyped. Philippe is an old, rich white man, likes classical music. On the other hand, Driss is a black man, fresh out of jail, have a huge family to support, going against the rules. These characteristics stumble over the vexing question of race, and class. The only reason why people have no huge reactions to this problem is that of the light and delighting theme of this movie, so people don´┐ 1/2(TM)t think too much into it. Other than that, this movie is pretty perfect for someone like me, who just want to watch some light comedy that I don´┐ 1/2(TM)t think too much into after a long day.
October 25, 2018
This was a great movie 29 yrs ago, & pretty darn good now. Don't we all hope & long for everlasting love?!
½ January 28, 2018
A forgotten gem of a film : superb.
June 17, 2017
I don't need to be a critic to see that this late 80's movie made me cry when I was still a kid and again made me cry in my late 30s. Robert Downy was and is still the king of charm.
June 19, 2016
Dead man falls in love with his daughter in this weird romantic comedy.
½ May 7, 2016
A man falls in love with his daughter in this very confusing reincarnation comedy that tries for romance because dating your dad is just........ewww, gross!
April 19, 2016
Liked this one. Man gets to heaven and in rushing to get back down to Earth his handler doesn't give him a shot to erase his memory of his previous life. In his new life, as he grows to adulthood his reentered into the lives he once knew.
March 29, 2016
Charming, funny and heartfelt, Chances Are tugs at the heartstrings and proves true love can forever---and shines with great performances by Robert Downey, Jr. and Cybill Shepherd.
March 22, 2016
Rematching this film now, it reminded me how much I like Cybill Shepherd and made me want to go back and rewatch "Moonlighting." This is a light romantic fantasy that feels like an old Hollywood throwback type of story, involving Shepherd and her new husband Christopher "Shooter" McDonald just finding out their pregnant, except that McDonald unexpectedly dies, but when he goes to heaven he demands to be reincarnated to he can reunite with Shepherd. The film then picks up 20 years later with McDonald reincarnated as Robert Downey Jr. and fitting with Shepherd's daughter, Mary Stuart Masterson, but when he meets Shepherd, there is all sorts of romantic deja vu. Shepherd and Downey are both very winning in their lead roles, but Masterson is also worth mentioning as very likable as well. Also, the very underrated Ryan O'Neal used perfectly in the role of Shepherd's dead husband's best friend who quietly pines for Shepherd. This film is completely lacking any sort of edge or dark humor, but that's not what this film is about. It's an enjoyably unashamed romantic comedy that makes no presence of being anything more, completely achieving it's goals.
October 11, 2015
The storyline wasn't that great, but the acting was. It was good to see one of my most favourite actors, Robert Downey Jr., when he was young. It is not difficult to see why he went on to greater things.
½ September 20, 2015
An odd 80s rom-com - but not unique, given it's one of a dozen 'love from beyond the grave' films. Downey Jr. is super-young and his usual charming self, but the story's a little too strange - the do I love my wife, or my daughter angle, plus the best friend that secretly loves your wife angle is hard to take. Not too many funny moments and it's all too blasÚ.
April 18, 2015
Totally fluffy piece of Hollywood nonsense, ideal for an evening's vegging out in front of the telly. Includes a few laughs, no credible emotions, and a predictable if slightly weird plot. Good cast in a poor movie.
½ April 16, 2015
Has it's moments and they're only because of Downey jr.
½ March 17, 2015
This was a lot of fun to watch and funny. A little silly at times, but I love movies like this.
½ January 28, 2015
Certainly a rehash of several films using similar premises that have gone before. Perhaps its greatest asset is its very light-hearted nature which makes it fairly enjoyable.
January 17, 2015
I find the movie still has charming to watch.
January 9, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie......I think that Robert downey jr, ryan o neal, mary stuart masterson, cybill shepherd, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this romance/sci-fi/fantasy/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......

Many scenes were filmed in Georgetown, along the Mall, and other parts of Washington, DC.

Chances Are received generally positive reviews from critics and currently holds a 64% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 28 reviews.

The soundtrack included the Billboard?'?s Top 10 single hit song "After All" (composed by Tom Snow and lyrics by Dean Pitchford) performed by Cher and Peter Cetera. The song peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in May 1989 and was nominated for Academy Awards Best Original Song. Another is the song of the same title sung by Johnny Mathis. Although the film contains other songs, a soundtrack album has never been released.

I think that this is such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch......I think that this is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......I think that this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch, it is such a really funny movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
November 20, 2014
½ August 14, 2013
One of Robert Downey Jr.'s weaker films. The story is pretty bizarre, even by fantasy movie standards.