Chennai Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chennai Express Reviews

January 21, 2017
Perfect movie :) SRK is legend
½ August 9, 2016
SRK never fails to disappoint.
This movie is something which will determine what BO collection is.
Amazing screenplay,music, comedy,action.
As a whole a wholesome entertainer.
July 31, 2016
Poor comedy.. and d last action scene was not even better than tollywood...
½ June 2, 2016
The comedy was super forced and not funny but the end fight was cool
½ May 27, 2016
Other than it's comedy, Chennai Express doesn't have anything else to offer. Unfortunately it couldn't even use the one thing it had in many scenes, comedy. Some scenes are funny though, but the rest of the movie is boring supported by a predictable plot.
May 23, 2016
haw to see all the movie ???
December 19, 2015
Amazing Film Srk is the best
November 1, 2015
One of the best movie that I have ever saw
October 26, 2015
Nice looking, but the story and themes are extremely well worn for Bollywood cinema. The worst part of the film though is the forced comedy and the techniques used to compliment these comedic moments, including sound effects that wouldn't look out of place in infant children programmes.
½ October 25, 2015
Bollywood is fast, exciting and blasts out songs in the most seemingly unnecessary times, Chennai Express is no different to that. It's not that this film is unwatchable I mean for some it could be great fun and it has it's moments for sure, I felt it was just kind of average though and lacked the true spirit it needed to have. The plot see's Rahul planning to spread his grandfathers ashes before meeting his friends where they will have a fun time in Goa, things don't play out so well though and Rahul is dragged into a kidnapping. It is here we meet Meena who has run off from an arranged marriage and her fathers goons are coming to get her. The plot really lifts off from there really, the train is actually not seen for the vast majority of it and the story leads down different channels which can seem a little annoying at times.

The famous star and really the worldwide face of Bollywood Shahrukh Khan plays Rahul, he is confident in the role and take it on well although ruins a lot of his credibility as a good actor with some more silly scenes. Most praise for this film went towards the lady portraying Meena, Deepika Padukone whose performance is pretty good and she easily outshines Khan in a movie where he receives the vast amount of screen time. I enjoyed the characters on show and the movie uses a vast amount of the strange and wonderful to create at least a watchable ride.

I did feel a lot of the comedy falls flat on its face which is disappointing really as the story is set up well to be kind of hilarious. I think it is truly a share of the blame when it comes to the missed opportunities at big laughs, on one hand Khan is not right for the role in a humorous way but also Rohit Shetty does not direct it in a way which makes the jokes seem smarter. The script isn't so bad and it certainly has its moments, it can be kind of smart at times and some of the scenes where Hindi is mixed with Tamil can create some nice little one-two's between characters who only understand one or the other.

As the music goes this I feel did not utilise it well enough, it has enough but only a few scenes really give you a big show and even then the songs aren't as catchy as some other Bollywood movies. It is choreographed pretty well although I can't say Khan always seems right in certain scenes, he does however provide any jokes that he does get right mostly within the dance scenes. The locations used in this are one reason alone to view this movie, fantastically set up and the use of the mountains and hills in the background make some scenes that are not that great to watch, very beautiful indeed.

Overall Chennai Express is not really a movie I would recommend but it's definitely watchable, for those who are massive Shahrukh Khan Fans then this will probably please you. As movies like this go though there are plenty more out there to recommend, the only reason this is so big is one because of it's big stars but two because it received so much money at the box office, and in that becoming one of the biggest international Bollywood movies ever, that doesn't make this good though.
July 6, 2015
Standard romcom stuff with a scene that honestly should never have happened.
April 18, 2015
Loved it sharuhk and deepika r my fave
March 19, 2015
very nice and comedy movie.
January 25, 2015
epic Bollywood road pic of sorts gr8 music too
January 12, 2015
Trash...Don't waste your precious time.
December 14, 2014
so her her is Deepika, she's soo beautiful :)
November 4, 2014
What the hell, critics?
½ September 16, 2014
Good, but overrated.... and this comes from a die hard SRK fan... Bollywood needs to cut back on the fight scenes until they become more believable
July 26, 2014
No Logic, No Story.. it was a headache to watch the film. The best scene of the film is "The End"
½ July 9, 2014
Stupid Indian movies always the same crap don't watch !!