The Cheyenne Social Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cheyenne Social Club Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
160718: Harley (Henry Fonda) made this film for me though I found him both enjoyable and an annoyance at times. Some good laughs are held within this generally light-hearted film. Loved seeing Mom Partridge (Shirley Jones) again. Brought a smile to my face. Well worth watching and a must for western fans.
February 16, 2016
Surprisingly enjoyable movie about two Texas cowboys surprised to find out that one of them has inherited a whorehouse from his recently deceased brother. Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart really have great chemistry with each other as lifelong friends trying to figure out how to get rid of this newly acquired possession. Some nice funny moments but a bit of a hackeyed end but still, Gene Kelly did a great job of directing this one.
February 12, 2015
One of my favorite Westerns. Funny, dramatic, and with Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Shirley Jones, talented cast makes this an enjoyable adventure.
½ December 27, 2014
A light hearted comedy western made toward the latter stages of both James Stewart, Henry Fonda's career, and actually westerns in general. The premise is strong and this does a decent job at telling it through good performances along better than average writing. Despite this being very much centred around prostitution it's as squeaky clean as any Disney movie, with very little in terms of sleaze. In fact even the brothel itself is spotless, I've seen dirtier real life hospitals. With its charm, nicely drawn characters, and good entertainment value I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to all fans of the western genre or just those looking for something decent to pass the time.
December 27, 2014
Only watched it for Jimmy.
September 7, 2013
Straight arrow James Stewart inherits a bordello from his brother and comedy ensues. Based on a novel by from the author of "Night of the Hunter" is surprisingly light and silly. Outside of the cast which also includes Henry Fonda as Stewart's goofy friend and Mrs. Partridge, Shirley Jones, as the love interest. Gene Kelly directed the film.
½ June 10, 2013
Will put a smile on your face - regardless of personal morales.
½ May 30, 2013
Lasting Impressions from a Serviceable Western--The calming influence of Stewart and Fonda!!
May 13, 2013
An enjoyable western, Fonda and Stewart played well off each other, I could easily see Owen Wilson playing Fonda's part if this movie was ever remade.
March 11, 2013
As directed by Gene Kelly, this mildly amusing comedy Western benefits from the stature of Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart.
August 23, 2012
This is a very funny movie and Jimmy Stewart is at his best along with Henry Fonda. It is a great movie to watch.
May 23, 2012
An oldie favorite.....Shirley Jones as a Madam of a "Cat House" that's entertainment!
June 4, 2011
Subtle humour, complimented by an excellent comic plot, this western is also enjoyable for the performances of a relaxed Henry Fonda and James Stewart.
May 17, 2011
Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda are entertaining, funny, Shirley Jones is funny also
February 10, 2011
James Stewart is especially funny here as the horny sidekick.
January 28, 2011
I was looking for something fun and light to watch on a Sunday morning and this movie was just the ticket. The on-screen relationship between Stewart and Fonda is fun to take in and watch. Although parts of it is predictable, it did not feel overly dated. I was surprised to learn that Gene Kelly, of "Singing in the Rain" fame, was the director.
January 13, 2011
A great Western comedy starring James Stewart & Henry Fonda who were perfect together.I enjoyed every bit of it even though it didn't end the way I was hoping
May 31, 2010
An old classic that tickles me pink every time I see it. Very cute!
January 17, 2010
Seeing Mrs Partridge as a prostitute was certainly an odd experience.