The Children of Huang Shi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Children of Huang Shi Reviews

May 30, 2016
Basada en una historia real, nos cuenta la historia de George Hogg (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), un joven británico dedicado al periodismo que empezará a hacerse cargo de un grupo de 60 niños chinos huérfanos. Tendrá que asegurar, en plenos tiempos de guerra entre chinos y japoneses, de llevar a los niños a un lugar seguro, mientras se vuelve un verdadero maestro de la vida para los pequeños. Con las actuaciones de Radha Mitchell (Lee Pearson) y Yun Fat Chow (Jack Chen Hansheng)..
½ March 5, 2016
Review:
I really enjoyed this emotional drama, and the fact that it's based on a true story, made the whole journey truly amazing. Its another one of those films were it needed some big names to play the main roles, because it needed someone who could have brought the intensity and emotion of the 1,000 kilometre track to the edge of the Mongolian desert. The little kids played there roles extremely well and the authenticity seemed extremely real and it was great to see Chow Yun-Fat (Jack) and Michelle Yeoh (Mrs. Wang) in the same film, even though they didn't have any scenes together. Jonathan Rhyl Meyers (George Hogg), put in a decent performance, alongside Radha Mitchell (Lee Pearson) but for a movie of this scale, it really needed someone who could push the boundaries, so you could feel how hard there journey really was. I did feel quite emotional when I saw the real kids, as grown ups, at the end but it did finish quite abruptly, which was slightly disappointing after watching these orphans travel so far. With that aside, I was still amazed with the story and the fact that these young children all pulled together to get to there destination. I'm glad that the director didn't delve into the whole love story element of the film because it would have taken away how important there journey really was. Anyway, I found this movie very entertaining, and it's part of Chinese history which needed to be brought out, into the open. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
This movie really did make a massive lose at the box office, which is a shame because it really didn't deserve it. I personally didn't know anything about the film when it was released, so the studio didn't really push the distribution, even though they invested so much money into the project. Although Jonathan Rhys Meyers, 38, has starred in some decent films like Michael Collins, Misson Impossible III and Alexander, I still think that this movie was a bit too big for him at this stage of his career. He's not one that usually takes the lead in big budget movies so I personally would have chosen a more established actor. The movie was directed by Roger Spottiswoode, 71, who has made a range of movies like the Best of Times, Deadly Pursuit, Turner & Hooch, Air America, the terrible Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot and Tomorrow Never Dies, and with 5 more movies in the pipeline, he's still going strong. I doubt that this film would damage his reputation, even though it made a heavy lose but I still think that this amazing story could be told with a A class cast and huge distribution.

Budget: $40million
Worldwide Gross: $8million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their drama/war movie starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Radha Mitchell, Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh and David Wenham. 7/10
November 7, 2015
I'm not sure why the rating was so low on this movie. I certainly felt it was worth 5 stars.
November 6, 2015
This looks interesting...
August 19, 2015
Recuerdo a los actores tal vez de otras peliculas pero esta se ve interesante tendre que verla
½ November 29, 2013
Muy buena película, fotografía impecable, muy emotiva, tensión al máximo, recomendadisimaaa!!!
½ August 30, 2013
Una de esas historias inspiradoras, correctamente contada aunque sin profundizar mucho en nada
½ July 26, 2013
I'm not British but Jonathan Rhys Meyers' English accent seems like it lilted in and out throughout the movie. Despite that, this is a great story about a guy who goes to China as a photojournalist and winds up caring for a group of boys in a rundown orphanage. He changes their lives and they wind up changing his. An inspiring, heart-wrenching story about how one person can make a big impact on others' lives.
July 3, 2013
Touching true story.
½ April 25, 2013
impressive movie! biographic story about war times in china and how man from completely different part of the world starts to take care of orphans in some abandoned school and how he makes difference in their lives!
April 22, 2013
I would not support actor Michelle who showed her supports to corruption and crony government in her own country.
April 14, 2013
A compelling story bogged down by a lackluster script and two lead performers who just aren't particularly good actors.
½ April 3, 2013
A poignant story about a selfless British journalist who risked his life saving orphan children in war-stricken China. Rhys Meyers, Radha Mitchell, and Chow Yun-Fat delivered the movie well.
February 26, 2013
Nicely cast and good looking historical drama about orphans in China that make a 700 mile journey to safety from the invading Japanese army. It has a few pacing issues, and some of the acting is spotty, but overall this is a well told story that is pretty heartbreaking in parts.
December 24, 2012
beautiful story... the ending was nicely done...
November 4, 2012
Un film qui nous touche par son infinis sagesse. Une histoire forte inspirée de faits réels, pas d artifice de tournage pour des images de toute beauté. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers est excellent, quel charisme et quelle présence ... Michelle Yeoh et Chow Yun-Fat donnent la réplique avec dans une ambiance parfois très sombre, parfois plus legere. Intemporel et apaisant, a voir sans une seule hésitation.
September 23, 2012
Estraordinaria!! Historia real... la vida es dura pero con determinacion podemos logar lo que sea.
September 3, 2012
A terrific film about the late 1930's conflict between Japan and China. A British journalist finding purpose while saving 60 orphans from war-torn Huang Shi.