Cidade de Deus (City of God) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cidade de Deus (City of God) Reviews

December 4, 2016
Excellent film, one of my top five for sure. Organic acting and a thrilling narrative. Captures a gritty and shocking story.
½ November 18, 2016
It does a great job at showcasing the circle of control in the favelas. Criminals start young and die in their twenties murdered by teens who then take control. For a few years.
November 10, 2016
Magnífica película brasileña que nos cuenta de forma excitante y hasta divertidad una perturbadora historia sobre violencia y ambición, que parece estar bastante cerca de la realidad que vivieron sus protagonistas.

Lo interesante de Ciudad de Dios es que sin alejarse de ciertos aspectos del Documental, es una cinta con muchísimo estilo audiovisual que la hacen incluso más disfrutable.

También es muy destacable la labor de mucho de los actores, que en la mayoría de los casos no eran más que niños sacados de las fabelas.

Todo un clásico moderno.
October 29, 2016
It is a very well made movie that does a great job developing the characters. It's put together in a way that is unique and keeps your interest. The movie made me think a lot and has messages about how every action has a consequence. I would say there were certain segments of the film I enjoyed more than others but all of it was at least interesting. The directing is excellent and is very stylish. It's a brutal movie that has interesting ideas and compelling characters. It's definitely worth checking out if you appreciate movies that are uniquely made.
October 18, 2016
Amazing movie. My only (selfish) complaint is that I wish it was in English.

Grade: A+
½ October 1, 2016
City of God is a Brazilian gangster film that vividly displays the life in the slums of Rio. A powerful film with several strong performances
½ September 21, 2016
If you thought boys in thr hood a d menace to society were awesome movies then give this a go.

Awesome.
½ September 18, 2016
It's a painful and visceral look at poverty and violence.
September 17, 2016
City of God is intense and infuriating. It is a virtuoso work and one of the best gangster films of all time. It's also a film with a message, but never beats you over the head with it. Powerful and enjoyable.
½ September 10, 2016
An eye-opening look at the side of life that some of us will never see.
September 6, 2016
As good as everyone says it is. Check this out.
½ September 4, 2016
brutal! shocking! emotional! thrilling!! this movie will blow your mind.
September 4, 2016
Masterpiece! One of my all time favorites without a doubt.
August 28, 2016
A scary true to life story of the most dangerous neighborhood in the world in Rio de Janeiro. City of God is almost unrelentingly bleak in its depiction of the violence inherent to the populations that live destitute in these neighborhoods. The film is only bearable because the episodic nature of the story keeps you from getting to attached to character so that when something terrible happens to them you function more as witness than directly linked to a protagonist. There are enough glimmers of humanity to keep it from being oppressive, and light enough on its feet thanks to some Guy Ritchie level manicness from Fernando Meirelles. A tough watch, but definitely recommended.
August 21, 2016
Boy, were the first 20 minutes of this hard to get through. Perseverance was rewarded ten fold though as the story unfolds and backtracks and ties up. Reminiscent of Goodfellas, City Of God isn't the masterpiece I was led to believe to expect but it is a vital and kinetic film.
August 21, 2016
I simply beleive that anyone who didn't find this film exellent has serious
½ August 20, 2016
'City of God' is one of the most difficult, brutally honest and raw films that will stay with you for years after viewing.
July 16, 2016
A bleeding, bloodshot-red, authentic painting of crime. Witness evolution of Rio, and downcast fate of the people to gratify their survival through lawbreaking. The film, provides an inside view of the city, culture, state and people beautifully. A compact, electrifying account of almost two decades of transgression.
June 24, 2016
I liked this film as more of an insight into a different lifestyle. Personally, I saw this film more as a documentary of the City of God in Rio de Janeiro rather than an entertainment film. Overall, more interesting to me than anything.
June 19, 2016
Brazil's masterpiece on the slums of Brazil show action, drama, romance, and crime in all it's glory