Cidade de Deus (City of God) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cidade de Deus (City of God) Reviews

May 20, 2017
I confess to a favourable bias for films about journalism, but for City of God, the subject is not that relevant to why I love it. The rapid-fire cinematography and truthful performances of ghetto life in Rio are the main appeal for me. That being said, I empathize greatly with the protagonist Rocket (Alexandre Rodrigues). He likes people too much to cause direct harm; unlike myself, Rocket has been under many circumstances that would explain why he would harm others, if he did, but he doesn't. The closest he comes is watching someone get killed and taking pictures of the person's body for his job. That's as far as revenge ever goes for him. The other characters are as equally interesting. There is Lil Ze (Leandro Firmino da Hora), so sociopathically absorbed in the gangster life that he finds zero pleasure in anything other than asserting dominance. By his side is his near opposite Benny (Phellipe Haagensen), still a killer and product of a poor environment but aims to use his wealth and power for helping those who once struggled with him. Knockout Ned (Seu Jorge) may be my favourite. Breaking Bad had five seasons worth of time to transform a weak, but caring man into an unapologetic killer. City of God similarly transforms Knockout Ned in one movie. Heck, honestly, it was done in one especially compelling minute of the movie. And that minute was practically a montage, albeit with some narration over the robberies. Much credit to director Fernando Meirelles for making that work, with what could be described as journalistic integrity. Okay, I take it back. What I love about my favourite news documentaries is much like what I love about City of God. But you know what City of God has over the documentaries? Excitement. Humour. Refusal to compromise.
May 4, 2017
Excessively violent. This is a heavy movie that is difficult to watch. Unlike others, I myself found no meaning in it. Aside from some skilled camera work I have seldom seen worse. (First and only viewing -3/22/2014)
April 4, 2017
City of God is a very violent, moving, and heartbreaking movie about gangs in the slums of Rio De Janeiro.

This movie details how crime affects the people who live in the slums of Rio De Janeiro. Rocket has witnessed violence by both gangs and he wants out of it but he finds that he can't escape.

This movie does a great job with making itself look violent. I think that the main reason why this movie is so hard to watch is because most of the violence is happening to kids. It can be hard to watch so many kids brutally die off so young in their lives. Slumdog Millionaire did this too but I think that this movie did it better because it displayed violence more brutally with greater buildup involved.

The different backstories are all entertaining. They are violent, well-written, heartbreaking, and even a bit funny every now and then. They show us how all the tales are all connected to each other. This movie is non-linear because of that.

Nowadays, it's hard to find a good child actor but many of the actors in this movie carried the movie with expertise. Most of them were unknown too which made their acting performances even more unexpectedly good.

This movie gives nods to Quentin Tarantino by featuring techniques such as time-jumping, freeze-framing, and texts. It drew inspiration from Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas but this is original in its own way. It has its own techniques which it featured throughout the film.

In conclusion, this is a very well-done film. It's violent and it also has great characters and backstories. This isn't for people who are sensitive but it will appeal to you if you like violence in movies.
½ January 5, 2017
With an elaborate plot centered on a dozen characters (most of which are played by excellent amateur actors from slums), Meirelles creates a stylized and superbly-edited modern classic that throws us into a war between rival factions in a dangerous Brazilian favela.
December 4, 2016
Excellent film, one of my top five for sure. Organic acting and a thrilling narrative. Captures a gritty and shocking story.
½ November 18, 2016
It does a great job at showcasing the circle of control in the favelas. Criminals start young and die in their twenties murdered by teens who then take control. For a few years.
November 10, 2016
Magnífica película brasileña que nos cuenta de forma excitante y hasta divertidad una perturbadora historia sobre violencia y ambición, que parece estar bastante cerca de la realidad que vivieron sus protagonistas.

Lo interesante de Ciudad de Dios es que sin alejarse de ciertos aspectos del Documental, es una cinta con muchísimo estilo audiovisual que la hacen incluso más disfrutable.

También es muy destacable la labor de mucho de los actores, que en la mayoría de los casos no eran más que niños sacados de las fabelas.

Todo un clásico moderno.
October 29, 2016
It is a very well made movie that does a great job developing the characters. It's put together in a way that is unique and keeps your interest. The movie made me think a lot and has messages about how every action has a consequence. I would say there were certain segments of the film I enjoyed more than others but all of it was at least interesting. The directing is excellent and is very stylish. It's a brutal movie that has interesting ideas and compelling characters. It's definitely worth checking out if you appreciate movies that are uniquely made.
October 18, 2016
Amazing movie. My only (selfish) complaint is that I wish it was in English.

Grade: A+
½ October 1, 2016
City of God is a Brazilian gangster film that vividly displays the life in the slums of Rio. A powerful film with several strong performances
½ September 21, 2016
If you thought boys in thr hood a d menace to society were awesome movies then give this a go.

Awesome.
½ September 18, 2016
It's a painful and visceral look at poverty and violence.
September 17, 2016
City of God is intense and infuriating. It is a virtuoso work and one of the best gangster films of all time. It's also a film with a message, but never beats you over the head with it. Powerful and enjoyable.
½ September 10, 2016
An eye-opening look at the side of life that some of us will never see.
September 6, 2016
As good as everyone says it is. Check this out.
½ September 4, 2016
brutal! shocking! emotional! thrilling!! this movie will blow your mind.
September 4, 2016
Masterpiece! One of my all time favorites without a doubt.
August 28, 2016
A scary true to life story of the most dangerous neighborhood in the world in Rio de Janeiro. City of God is almost unrelentingly bleak in its depiction of the violence inherent to the populations that live destitute in these neighborhoods. The film is only bearable because the episodic nature of the story keeps you from getting to attached to character so that when something terrible happens to them you function more as witness than directly linked to a protagonist. There are enough glimmers of humanity to keep it from being oppressive, and light enough on its feet thanks to some Guy Ritchie level manicness from Fernando Meirelles. A tough watch, but definitely recommended.
August 21, 2016
Boy, were the first 20 minutes of this hard to get through. Perseverance was rewarded ten fold though as the story unfolds and backtracks and ties up. Reminiscent of Goodfellas, City Of God isn't the masterpiece I was led to believe to expect but it is a vital and kinetic film.
August 21, 2016
I simply beleive that anyone who didn't find this film exellent has serious