Dance Flick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dance Flick Reviews

July 17, 2016
Looks dumb, but I never miss a Wayan's Brothers movie, no matter how stupid it is (like White Chicks)
February 5, 2016
Otra ridícula película de baile
December 11, 2015
Terrible movie, but can still give a few laughs. The acting is lacking and so are the verbal jokes, they didn't put any effort on these, the only jokes that work are the slapstick and nonsense ones... and the movie doesn't manage to make them work at all because only like 3 actors manage to make you laugh.
½ July 14, 2015
There are some movies you just have to stop watching after 15 minutes because you know they won't get any better. This is one of those films.
May 9, 2015
I really what to see this looks funny
½ April 10, 2015
I like the comedy genre but this movie flopped.
April 3, 2015
This'll be halarious!
November 27, 2014
it look verry gd but if i go ill probs not get to watch it as the boyfriend wants to come with
½ May 13, 2014
As a fan of the Wayans Brothers but not a fan of dance films, I didn't know what to really expect from Dance Flick.

Although parody movies are often very stupid, since Dance Flick is a parody of a genre which is already ridiculously stupid, it has a lot of comedic potential, as well as the fact that it has major participation from the Wayans Brothers who are some of the funniest people to have happened to spoof humour in a long time. But despite their best efforts, Dance Flick eventually succumbs to its wounds and falls into the same bland and humourless territory that many other spoof films do these days.
Dance Flick has a very funny opening scene due to capitalising on the over the top nature of Wayans Brothers style of over the top humour which puts a lot of comic emphasis on African American stereotypes. But soon after the intro, it becomes a generic story about Megan White, a girl whose has lost her mother, moved in with her alcoholic father and started at an inner city school for performing arts while she tries to leave dance behind. Unfortunately, Megan White is not an interesting character and Shoshanna Bush is not that funny in the role. I mean her performance is ok because considering the stupidity of the material presented to her and she does have a certain charm to her, but she isn't funny. Her character is a whiny and repetitive one who isn't nearly as funny as Cindy Campbell from Scary Movie. Dance Flick puts way too much focus into her and not enough into the Wayans Brothers who are the best source of comedy in the film. So unfortunately, much of Dance Flick is wasted potential.
The general structure of Dance Flick is that it is a story about a girl trying to achieve her dreams while breaking away at random points to deal with subplots which feel like a series of comedic sketches. And for most of the time, the sketches are the funny parts while the main plot simply isn't. While Dance Flick could have spoofed dance battle movies, it keeps its focus a lot more on legitimate dance films instead. Of the two, dance battle films are a lot more ridiculous and as the film reveals in its opening scene, its form of parodying the genre is pretty hilarious at times. But soon after this gets reduced simply to a series of moments that detract from the actual intentions of the film. Dance Flick fails because it goes into territory which is inferior to what it could have been going into, and the jokes aren't funny because they only feature inconsistent appearances by the Wayans Brothers who are the only consistently funny element of the film and that is because of their over the top nature. Since they are absent from the spotlight in the film most of the time, Dance Flick ends up being an underwhelming film which just misses the mark and goes into dull and repetitive territory which has its gags getting stale pretty fast and failing to make the comedic impact that it really wants to. You can tell that with Dance Flick the five Wayans who have written the film had the best intentions and really tried, but a lot of the material just isnt funny and it is pretty bland when it could be hilarious. I mean the intro scene of the film was great because of its over the top nature and ridiculous parodying of dance battle films, but once it turns into the story about one girl's journey to prove herself and achieve her dreams, it just loses its edge. Dance Flick is better for its subplots than it is for its central plots, and it contains many unfunny female characters while featuring a lot of hilarious male African American characters. So despite having five writers collaborating, the communication occurring between them must not have been that strong. They were smart enough to ensure that the story was not reliant fully on pop culture references and that it was parodying genres as a whole and not just specific films. But it parodied the wrong dance genres and misused a hilarious cast by focusing on restrained humour instead of over the top jokes. A spoof film house to be out there and really excessive with how it lays down the thick headed and stupid humour, but Dance Flick is so cheap and so tame that it doesn't seem as if the filmmakers were really trying.
Dance Flick does not achieve the same heights as the better spoof films and although it is far from one of the worst, it had potential to be a lot better which is wasted on tame jokes. Although Dance Flick is directed by a Wayans and written by several Wayans family members, the humour does not adapt to their iconic style and tries too hard to appeal to a wider audience by not boxing the film in. Unfortunately, the tame humour and uninspiring dance story make it a lot more female oriented without even poking much fun at how the genre is very female focused. Despite appearances by Marlon Wayans who makes a brief but hilarious presence during his short period of time on screen, Shawn Wayans' series of small appearances which are essentially one laugh after another and the consistently funny lead performance of Damon Wayans Jr. in his first leading role in a comedy, Dance Flick is only sporadically funny at best and is more focused on storytelling than originality and over the top humour, so it simply is not enough to do.

So despite the efforts of the Wayans Brothers and a few really funny moments, Dance Flick is too tame for its own good and spoofs the wrong dance movies a bit too often so that its jokes to not reach the grasp needed to succeed as Wayans Brother quality humour in the best sense.
May 3, 2014
With any luck it's Scary Movie with dancing.
April 23, 2014
I am by no means a Wayans Hater (I rather enjoy most of their films) but this was a sad...sad...sad attempt at comedy. Falling in place with all the other lackluster and downright tedious spoofs Dance Flick had a chuckle or two but most of the gross out humor and one liners were so reused that the house fly buzzing around the room was more entertaining than this disappointing Wayans brother attempt at comedy.
March 2, 2014
Damon Wayans Jr. stepping in for his older uncles and father in doing a spoof film of the various dance movies. Pretty silly and over the top, but that's what those movies were like too. A pretty good spoof of those movies, not quite at the levels of the first 2 Scary Movies, but I till liked it.
February 20, 2014
This is only the second movie ever where I didn't watch it all the way through. This is the worse movie I've ever seen and people who enjoyed it must be a child. .5/10. It's quite funny that I know someone who is in the movie.
January 18, 2014
Bit too silly at moments (13) OWN BLU
January 14, 2014
might be worth a watch....while drinking
½ November 9, 2013
I laughed maybe four times and one of those laughs came from a Ray Charles impression.
October 26, 2013
I do not recommend seeing this movie. Why are the Wayans bros. being allowed to make movies like these?! Please stop. These are stupid comedies that are not entertaining, and also give me a headache just watching. I need STORY!!!
September 29, 2013
I know it sounds insane, but I have this incredibly vague feeling that I was supposed to find this film funny.
September 21, 2013
the funniest movie ever
September 4, 2013
Spoof is usually entertaining, in the least.