Detroit Rock City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detroit Rock City Reviews

½ July 11, 2016
A childhood favorite. Lin Shaye is so damn funny and the four leads are pretty fantastic to.
June 19, 2016
Fun, teens-acting-a-fool, road-trip movie.
May 27, 2016
Director Adam Rifkin's classic rock 'n roll comedy Detroit Rock City is probably one of the most memorable movies I have ever seen, due to the awesome cast, which includes Edward Furlong, Giuseppe Andrews, James DeBello, Sam Huntington (DeBello and Andrews worked together in Cabin Fever), and the universally known rock band KISS. It has a lot of funny moments, the plot is classic, and the soundtrack is spectacular.
April 24, 2016
This film is an anomaly. It has the artistic direction of an Edgar Wright film, yet the director of this film has never lived up to it since then. And it's about Kiss, I don't even like Kiss.
½ March 28, 2016
Dumb movie, but charmingly unapologetic in its stupidity.
½ December 6, 2015
A really funny and fun film with a killer soundtrack; a must-see for any rock fan, metal head and -- of course -- and real member of the KISS Army!
½ November 29, 2015
Its just a good time
½ July 26, 2015
Yes it was totally stupid, but I actually had a blast watching this! The teenagers gave some nice performances for being a raunchy group
July 20, 2015
A movie that knows how to frustrate the viewer by giving four KISS fanatics that have endure every obstacle thrown at them (including Disco music and one of the fans' Mother with the Lord as her co-pilot), but also manages to satisfy by accomplishing every obstacle thrown at them. Even when several things make no sense, including the mountain of anachronisms taking place in a movie from 1978, it is worth watching, including for the final 15-20 minutes of satisfaction, especially if you're a die-hard KISS fan.
½ June 19, 2015
been a while sense i saw this, remember it being fun even if your not a kiss fan.
June 13, 2015
An occasionally funny but sometimes unfunny comedy about a group of teenage fans and their obstacle-filled road trip to a KISS concert, Detroit Rock City is a fairly underrated and adequate comedy. The performances are solid as is the pacing, the dialogue ranges from slick and witty to average and sometimes annoying, and the satirical take on hardcore Christianity was a nice comedic touch. As a whole, Detroit Rock City isn't a must see, but if one expects a serviceable teen comedy, it works.
½ June 11, 2015
For what this film is, it hits its mark wonderfully as nothing more than a couple kids who against all adversity, just want to go see their favorite band play; and in a time when: makeup, Donna Summer, high heels, and rock'n'roll ruled the universe. If you've ever wanted to do something you're not allowed to do-which should be 99% of the people on this planet, unless you're a fucking nun-then you'll find joy in a movie like this. No this is not Terms of Endearment, and no you will not cry and rethink the meaning of laugh; but you'll laugh, and that-arguably-triumphs everything.
½ May 22, 2015
They should have looked more closely at Dazed and Confused for guidance in how to do the retro 70's.
May 18, 2015
Detroit Rock City is a tribute to KISS fans everywhere. The film has an incredible classic rock soundtrack and exhibits many other memorabilia of the late 1970's era. Following the debauchery filled endeavors of four teenage KISS fans, the viewer exhibits the devotion and adulation of rock and roll fanatics everywhere. As a fan of classic rock and heavy metal, I was able to relate to our four hero's and connect with their appreciation for music. The movie contains traces of humor and nostalgia for all who watch it and I consider this film to be one of my favorites of all time.
May 6, 2015
I had heard this was supposed to be sort of a modern cult classic, but it completely struck out to me.Way too over the top and silly. All of the "characters" are drawn way too thin to care about, and all of the situations are too ridiculous and hokey. Having watched the similarly plotted I Wanna Hold Your Hand (focused on The Beatles rather than KISS), you can see how that film does a much better job of juggling many of the same situations despite its own ridiculous antics.
December 23, 2014
Great movie about Rock "N" Roll
December 8, 2014
For what it is, it's a lot of fun, not to mention it's got some truly hilarious lines, some of which you'd never dream would come out of the Jungle 2 Jungle kid's mouth! Also features an awesome soundtrack, which is always a plus.
October 28, 2014
Real feel good funny film, plus it's got the greatest rock band on earth KISS!
August 16, 2014
(First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 14, 2014
It's very underrated in my opinion.Sex,drugs,and rock 'n' roll baby!!!