District 9 Reviews

• 5d ago

A new take on the science fiction drama where aliens are not overlords but are in absolute poverty on Earth. A great commentary on the forces of racism and segregation. Speaks volumes about what is happening in South Africa and around the world. Action scenes were satisfying but CGI is aged. 4/5. A great social commentary that told its message in an innovative way.

• Jan 08, 2020

WOW! The execution is awesome and the special effects are unreal. Politics aside, this is a truly believable alien encounter. Side note - Humans really have no idea what they're in for when they go beyond the moon.

• Dec 31, 2019

Incredible!!! Right up there with 2001 A Space Odyssey. Spectacular Sci-fi at its best...

• Dec 15, 2019

Simple an incredible movie! amazing!

Simple an incredible movie! amazing!

• Dec 13, 2019

I didn't like it .... period.

I didn't like it .... period.

• Dec 11, 2019

An incredible depiction of humanity from versatile perspectives. The director and writer, Neil Blomkamp and writer, Terri Tatchel..nothing short of Brilliant! What a world this could be with equality and without prejudice! An incredible storyline combined with immense creativity. This film is masterfully put together from beginning to end!

• Nov 25, 2019

Nothing quite like it, and judging by his films since... probably nothing will match it either. A good take on social events told through the forgiving and freeing lens of science-fiction.

• Nov 07, 2019

Director Neill Blomkamp teams with producer Peter Jackson in bringing a incredible scifi movie that screams originality !! The way the film is shot grounds itself to feeling completely real. This movie is just absolutely outstanding !!! I had heart eyes every second watching this movie!!

• Nov 04, 2019

As soon as I saw this film I said "this will be a classic" This is a great Sci-fi film. What it lacks in recognisable faces it makes up for in its originality, its gritty style, tone, and messages. It's clear what the message is. The main "prawn" character even has a rather normal name 'Christopher Johnson" .. the relationship between him and his little alien son is strangely heart warming and sad. Especially when his son asks him about "going home." ... I highly recommend getting the blue ray and listen to the director's commentary for an in depth view. Its documentary style gives it a realistic feel. The gory scenes from the experimentation at the lab at MNU look gooey, nasty and gritty. We follow a MNU gov agent though. 'Wikus' Watching this man's journey keeps you on the edge of your seat. As we see him change and grip with the feelings of shame, and guilt as he sees what he has been apart of. Without realizing it. Seeing how the "prawn" aliens have been treated. They never chose to be here. He knows it. And we see at how MNU has treated them. And the lies we told them and ourselves. The very final scene leaves you feeling grey, somewhat in despair. Some feel the film could have done with a better score but this film being more documentary style in its cinematography I dont think really needed much in the way of music. (And I rarely say that.) Sometimes less is more. This film is a must watch for sci-fi fans and I reccomend everyone watch it at least once. MNU Instructional Voice: [in MNU Humvee] "When dealing with aliens, try to be polite, but firm. And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet."

• Oct 08, 2019