Dolores Claiborne Reviews

• Mar 23, 2021

Totally solid heavy drama. Cast and performances are terrific. A little melodramatic in the climax but what are you gonna do? Killer story though. As a look at gender roles it’s 5/5.

• Mar 20, 2021

One of my favorite films.

One of my favorite films.

• Mar 20, 2021

Some excellent writing by Tony Gilroy. Exquisite perfomances that all should be oscar worthy considerations. Kathy Baits is a true powerhouse actress.

• Nov 28, 2020

Fantastic, great performances of leading actresses.

Fantastic, great performances of leading actresses.

• Nov 27, 2020

6 bags, that Bates wasn't Oscar nominated for this is a shrine. Fun PCC? Danny Elfman did the score here, and the daughter is named "Selina" in this movie, like "Selena Kyle" in Batman Returns (great Xmas movie btw), also scored by Elfman. I am not kidding when I say the themes and motifs for the two characters are very similar. But hey, I'm a 531 prophet I WILL notice these things. This was an awesome movie, it just had me hanging on the edge of my seat the whole time. Can't believe I'd never seen it.

• Oct 13, 2020

Well acted drama set in ME about murder and family issues. A bit contrived, but overall it was well made.

• Mar 25, 2020

based on the book by Stephen King this is more of one of his emotional dramas with high caliber stars Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Christopher Plummer, John C. Reiley, and David Straithan it's funny how a death in the family can pull people apart yet something like murder can bring them together Bates plays the title character whom was employed by a rich socialite for 22 years, her employer ends up dead and she's the number one suspect Leigh is her daughter Selena; she receives word working in New York City and comes home to help her deal with the investigation Plummer plays the detective Mackie on the case finding it easy to blame Dolores since this isn't the first time someone has died close to her the flashbacks also show how hard Dolores had it with her abusive husband as well as her boss demanding the most from her so was the whole thing an accident or premeditated? both actresses are outstanding as mother and daughter going back and forth about how they see things, the scenery is breathtaking, the color palettes for the flashbacks and the present are wonderful parallels, and the drama is quite fascinating an accident can be an unhappy woman's best friend, is it a completely masculine world we live in?, sometimes being mean and catty is all a woman can hold onto, husbands die nearly every day and leave their wives their money, it's easy to blame someone for a past crime that's been done to themselves and not just others This is some of King's best source material being both a family drama and a crime mystery. The sins of the past can truly shape the future. If you need a break from the horror stories then this is a worthy adaptation to check out.

• Dec 26, 2019

Powerful perfomances by "Mother" Kathy Bates and "Daughter" Jennifer Jason Leigh

• Oct 05, 2019

This is one of my favorite movies. Love a New England thriller [ not silly like hacker, teeny bop movies].I never get sick of it -watched it a 100 times and loved every minute,scene and, terrific accents . Parfitt with that regal like face has always been a favorite , was fantastic. Every character looked and acted their parts. I knew one minute into it ,it was going to be a winner. Wish they could somehow do a sequel, with lots of flash backs so all the characters come back. Delores with all that money is bound to piss someone off in that small town...

• Apr 15, 2019

very VERY underrated king movie, an in depth direction and story telling with cold perspective. a story that keeps you guessing and simply wanting more of all the way through, a dramatic false crime and fantastic production/direction