The Emperor's New Groove - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Emperor's New Groove Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
This is pretty minor Disney but it's delivered with aplomb. It's pretty funny and engaging but probably just lacks an emotional hook or a character you can truly latch on to. Good fun though, my son enjoyed it as well.
September 30, 2016
Best Disney movie ever, yes better than lion king, Zootopia, you name it.
August 29, 2016
A true new groove.....
½ August 15, 2016
Probably one of the most genuinely funny additions to the Disney arsenal, thanks to some wonderful voice acting and comical slap stick routines, the script and characters elevate this one despite being on the sillier side. Oh well, it's a kids movie.
August 15, 2016
One of the most funniest Disney movies! The Emperor's New Groove is pretty much the comedy gold of Disney.
½ August 4, 2016
Thoroughly hilarious and refreshingly playful, one can see why this film is considered a classic of the Disney Dork Age. It strays greatly from Disney's expected style of storytelling, but does so in such a way that effectively creates a delightful story and memorably amusing characters.
August 1, 2016
Wow way better then I remember really really funny
½ July 18, 2016
The Emperors New Groove is one of my favourite animated movies ever, and one I can rewatch at any time. Its plot may not be as deep and compelling as in other Disney movies, but the laughs are big, the characters are fresh and the world is very interesting.
July 6, 2016
I'm 18 years old and this movie is still funny
½ June 25, 2016
It was very cool and creative ???
June 21, 2016
Funny animated film with some heart.
½ June 16, 2016
The Emperor's New Groove is outstanding and hilarious. This movie is amazing and the plot is brilliant. I would very much suggest this movie.
½ May 27, 2016
Disney forgets about its dull princess movies for a while and brings us a family comedy with smart humor, likeable characters, and fast-paced animation
May 23, 2016
Carries exactly the right tone for its basis, and actually gives some good laughs throughout.
April 20, 2016
It's David spade as a talking llama do I need to say more
April 2, 2016
AAHHHHH Why it's only like an hour long WHYYYYY ???

This is one of the funniest animated movie ever god-jesus
March 27, 2016
The Emperor's New Groove marks the end of the Disney Renaissance, ending a beautiful set of animated masterpieces with a disappointing, actually kind of odd take on a classic tale plagued with bad chemistry and undesirable, repetitive comedic elements.
Kuzco, a self centered emperor of a South American land, is backstabbed by his recently fired advisor Yzma and her bumbling crony Kronk as they plot to poison him. They instead transform him into a llama, as a goodhearted peasant attempts to help a bossy and arrogant Kuzco return to his former self all whilst trying to save his home from destruction and trying to find a bit of good in Kuzco.
The Emperor's New Groove, from minute one, seems very off color and soon grows tedious in many aspects. The film is, in a word, unlikable. Its characters, even the main ones, have such unrootable and disappointingly maddening personalities that it comes off for some as very bland and others, like Kuzco, as very annoying. The humor in Emperor's New Groove is obviously what the film wants to really focus on, because the story is interrupted by a "clever" joke on fourth wall breaking or constant sarcasm from a constantly annoying David Spade. The jokes are filled with off color sarcasm that fits more in a television series, and it never ends until it's over. It grows annoying fast. David Spade and John Goodman have notably bad chemistry together and some of the story really relys on some good buddy chemistry. The atmosphere of every Disney Renaissance film is very memorable and ties the film even better - gives it a world of its own and life to it. The Emperor's New Groove doesn't try very hard in a sense and is generally forgettable in its very un-Disney like styles. It's annoying, it's tedious, it's unlikable. It's one Disney film that looks like any other good one and when you actually watch it, really disappoints. I guess you either really love or hate it, look at the critics' opinions, but I really hated this one a lot...
March 23, 2016
You can't help but fall in love with this movie.
½ March 14, 2016
Its got amazing voice acting; especially Eartha Kitt as Yzma. It's entertaining, fast paced, and has moments that even adults can enjoy. What more could you ask for?
March 14, 2016
While not as laugh-out-loud, gut-bustingly hilarious as it tries to be, the vocal talent and animation are nothing short of remarkable, spot-on and overall enjoyable..