Enemy at the Gates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Enemy at the Gates Reviews

May 15, 2017
140919: Had to watch this film again as I had the opportunity to shoot a Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 PU recently. Great movie. Still.
½ May 13, 2017
As best that could be done. As Historian and studied the Battle; well done. It is the constant statements from Critics; none of whom studied WWII history per their remarks, about War "cliches". Fact is War has men kiliing each other; 2) mental angst; 3)friends and men dying; 4) in the case of Russia in WWII men and women might be fighting next to each other as probably many ancient wars..etc. If these are cliches then Drama itself is a big one. Like Critics.
½ March 25, 2017
Insanely good cinematography and art direction. One of my favorite movies for the overall look of the movie. But the story needed better direction. The film failed to show time passing very well. It passes very slowly for snipers. I also wish Rachel Weisz was in more of it. Still a good movie though.
March 9, 2017
I don't agree with the critics yet again--this film worked for me and the love story gave it necessary human tension. There were woman involved in the Battle for Stalingrad and there would have been the impetus to enjoy what little life you can while you can, so a love affair, a love triangle, gives human interaction that is more interesting to the plot. The acting, directing and script were all excellent and I just loved the music!
½ February 25, 2017
Stupid and kind of long, but entertaining enough.
½ February 24, 2017
The director is a French sissy.
½ January 13, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 19, 2016
Five stars hands down!
½ November 8, 2016
I definitely agree with the critics with the love story, I thought it was out of place, and didn't make any sense. For the rest of the movie, it was very thrilling, and I really enjoyed it. For this reason I'm giving the movie 4.5 stars. A must watch.
October 1, 2016
pretty long and drawn out but some good, violent war action. The feud between the snipers was effective. Ed Harris is always awesome.
½ September 12, 2016
It holds up. If you haven't seen it its better than the critic review would lead you to believe.
July 19, 2016
A good, middle-of-the-road WWII flick that focuses more on fantastic action than character (which they got away with, in my opinion).
June 25, 2016
He snipe snipe snipe.
½ June 4, 2016
Der zweite Weltkrieg in der Stadt Stalingrad. Dieses Mal wird es aus der Sicht der russischen Front erzählt. Ein junger Bauernsohn erweist sich als guter Scharfschütze und wird bald als Held gefeiert. Doch die Deutschen lassen es sich nicht auf sich sitzen und schicken auch einen Scharfschützen an die Front, um den russischen Helden zu jagen.
Die Geschichte geht eigentlich um den Helden Jude Law, der vom Nachrichtendienst Chef Joseph Fiennes angeheuert wird, die Deutschen zu dezimieren und dem russischen Volk wieder zu animieren, an den Sieg zu glauben. Der Krieg um Stalingrad ist eigentlich eine Nebensache. Ed Harris verkörpert den Gegenpart vom Helden und spielt kühl und eisern.
Regisseur Annaud zeigt den Krieg auf einer Sichtweise, die ein bisschen anders ist. Er zeigt nicht viel vom Krieg. Eher zeigt er eine Romanze und einen Verrat unter Freunden. Auch die Motivation für das russische Volk, kommt dann eher als Propaganda rüber.
Der Film ist gut und auch sehr gut besetzt. Nur muss man unterscheiden können, ob der Film ein Kriegsfilm, Drama oder ein romantischer Film ist. Ich kann es mir nicht vorstellen, zwischen Gewehrsalven, Granaten, Bomben und Toten, romantische Gefühle zu haben. Ich hätte auch gar keine Lust dazu.
Fazit: Weniger ist mehr. Die Geschichte ist gut. Wirkt aber auf weite Strecken über, eher unrealistisch!
½ May 18, 2016
Love triangle makes the movie strange but it's a good movie overall.
½ May 8, 2016
Exciting, gritty, and gripping war movie. Hard to get past the distracting love story and the Russians all having British accents, tho.
½ April 5, 2016
The first 10 minutes might be the most... important battle scene I've seen, since it quite effectively captures what WWII was really about (untrained, sometimes unarmed Russian soldiers tossed against a wall of German fire until pure numbers overwhelmed the Germans) in an English-language, big-budget movie. With that said, all downhill after that.
April 3, 2016
Captivating, jaring, and great action scenes, but love triangle doesn't seem right for this film.
February 25, 2016
I ENJOYED THE OVERALL STORY LINE & VIDEO REALISM OF THE FILM. BUT WHAT I HATE ABOUT THIS AND OTHER MOVIES IS THE BRITISH ACCENT THAT THE CHARTERERS HAVE. EVEN RON PERLMAN HAD A BRITISH ACCENT AND HE WAS BORN IN WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, NEW YORK! THIS KILLS THE FILM'S REALISM FOR ME-AT LEAST TRY TO SPEAK WITH A RUSSIAN CHARACTER'S ACCENT. NOT SURE WHY THE DIRECTOR JEAN-JACQUES ANNAUD (BORN IN FRANCE) DIDN'T INSIST ON A REALIST LANGUAGE ACCENT. PERHAPS I'M TOO PICKY ABOUT SUCH THINGS. BUT, THE UK ACTORS IN THE "WALKING DEAD" TV SERIES LOST THEIR ACCENTS TO PLAY THEIR PARTS, WHICH WORKED GREAT-SO, IT CAN BE DONE!
January 16, 2016
English people pretending to be Russians, WTF?!?