Enemy at the Gates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Enemy at the Gates Reviews

Page 1 of 321
November 19, 2016
Five stars hands down!
½ November 8, 2016
I definitely agree with the critics with the love story, I thought it was out of place, and didn't make any sense. For the rest of the movie, it was very thrilling, and I really enjoyed it. For this reason I'm giving the movie 4.5 stars. A must watch.
October 1, 2016
pretty long and drawn out but some good, violent war action. The feud between the snipers was effective. Ed Harris is always awesome.
½ September 12, 2016
It holds up. If you haven't seen it its better than the critic review would lead you to believe.
July 19, 2016
A good, middle-of-the-road WWII flick that focuses more on fantastic action than character (which they got away with, in my opinion).
June 25, 2016
He snipe snipe snipe.
½ June 4, 2016
Der zweite Weltkrieg in der Stadt Stalingrad. Dieses Mal wird es aus der Sicht der russischen Front erzählt. Ein junger Bauernsohn erweist sich als guter Scharfschütze und wird bald als Held gefeiert. Doch die Deutschen lassen es sich nicht auf sich sitzen und schicken auch einen Scharfschützen an die Front, um den russischen Helden zu jagen.
Die Geschichte geht eigentlich um den Helden Jude Law, der vom Nachrichtendienst Chef Joseph Fiennes angeheuert wird, die Deutschen zu dezimieren und dem russischen Volk wieder zu animieren, an den Sieg zu glauben. Der Krieg um Stalingrad ist eigentlich eine Nebensache. Ed Harris verkörpert den Gegenpart vom Helden und spielt kühl und eisern.
Regisseur Annaud zeigt den Krieg auf einer Sichtweise, die ein bisschen anders ist. Er zeigt nicht viel vom Krieg. Eher zeigt er eine Romanze und einen Verrat unter Freunden. Auch die Motivation für das russische Volk, kommt dann eher als Propaganda rüber.
Der Film ist gut und auch sehr gut besetzt. Nur muss man unterscheiden können, ob der Film ein Kriegsfilm, Drama oder ein romantischer Film ist. Ich kann es mir nicht vorstellen, zwischen Gewehrsalven, Granaten, Bomben und Toten, romantische Gefühle zu haben. Ich hätte auch gar keine Lust dazu.
Fazit: Weniger ist mehr. Die Geschichte ist gut. Wirkt aber auf weite Strecken über, eher unrealistisch!
½ May 18, 2016
Love triangle makes the movie strange but it's a good movie overall.
½ May 8, 2016
Exciting, gritty, and gripping war movie. Hard to get past the distracting love story and the Russians all having British accents, tho.
½ April 5, 2016
The first 10 minutes might be the most... important battle scene I've seen, since it quite effectively captures what WWII was really about (untrained, sometimes unarmed Russian soldiers tossed against a wall of German fire until pure numbers overwhelmed the Germans) in an English-language, big-budget movie. With that said, all downhill after that.
April 3, 2016
Captivating, jaring, and great action scenes, but love triangle doesn't seem right for this film.
February 25, 2016
I ENJOYED THE OVERALL STORY LINE & VIDEO REALISM OF THE FILM. BUT WHAT I HATE ABOUT THIS AND OTHER MOVIES IS THE BRITISH ACCENT THAT THE CHARTERERS HAVE. EVEN RON PERLMAN HAD A BRITISH ACCENT AND HE WAS BORN IN WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, NEW YORK! THIS KILLS THE FILM'S REALISM FOR ME-AT LEAST TRY TO SPEAK WITH A RUSSIAN CHARACTER'S ACCENT. NOT SURE WHY THE DIRECTOR JEAN-JACQUES ANNAUD (BORN IN FRANCE) DIDN'T INSIST ON A REALIST LANGUAGE ACCENT. PERHAPS I'M TOO PICKY ABOUT SUCH THINGS. BUT, THE UK ACTORS IN THE "WALKING DEAD" TV SERIES LOST THEIR ACCENTS TO PLAY THEIR PARTS, WHICH WORKED GREAT-SO, IT CAN BE DONE!
January 16, 2016
English people pretending to be Russians, WTF?!?
½ January 11, 2016
Enemy at the Gates is a great war film, but a terrible romance movie.
½ December 31, 2015
Enemy at the Gates is a decent film. It is about a Russian sniper and a German sniper who play a game of cat-and-mouse during the Battle of Stalingrad. Jude Law and Ed Harris give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Jean-Jacques Annaud did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and history.
½ December 26, 2015
I forgot how boring this movie was.
December 19, 2015
Se pueden perdonar los pequeños detalles molestos, puesto la recreacion de la batalla de Stalingrado es demoledora y bestial, y el duelo creible y memorable. Una de las mejores películas de la SGM.
½ December 9, 2015
87%
One of the greatest advantages of this film is that it atleast considers the enemies as humans other than many acclaimed and panned American war films that portray them as robots or simply men in arms who are out on the field just for killing. But this film fails to give the enemies a humane standard like all the other war films. One of the best characters in this film is that of Ed Harris, he is a vigilant, cunning as well as often cold hearted man( you can know that when he kills the boy who betrayed him).

This film is inspired from Saving Private Ryan(1998). Actually there are a lot of original and realistic scenes in here. The film builds up real tension when they show you the hunt for the American sniper by the German one. When I saw this film, some scenes scared the hell out of me. This film is an underrated film. But the love story in this film is poorly developed and often predictible. The acting from the three leads is good.

When a sniper kills a few main German leaders and a general, his comrades announce him as a hero for being an inspiration to fellow soldiers who are out there only to be killed in battle. News papers around that time are flooded by the news about their new hero. The news reaches the German camp and now it becomes a need for them to kill this sniper and inspire their men. This is actually a good thought for a film as it is the story of a random man who becomes a hero in the spoiled lands. But the love story should have either been avoided or should have been further polished.
November 8, 2015
Yes, the love story was very "out of place"
½ October 18, 2015
One word... Excellant!
Page 1 of 321