Epic Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Epic Movie Reviews

½ September 17, 2017
A terrible abomination of my wasted cinema experience. All I can is that EPIC MOVIE doesn't even deserve to be a parody.
September 16, 2017
Terrible movie that I saw when I was younger, I regret seeing this terrible tragedy.
½ August 23, 2017
A deeply grotty and unpleasant experience . Avoid at all costs.
August 20, 2017
From the writers of... oh sorry. "2 of the 6 writers of Scary Movie" comes one of the worst films I've ever seen Epic Movie. More like EPIC FAIL! How bad is this movie, well let's go over the reasons why this film sucks. 1. The misconception of parody and satire and making references. The big problem of Epic Movie is that it doesn't know how to do parody. This movie does nothing funny, new, or clever with the properties it "parodies". The movie mainly just makes references to whatever is popular at the time making the movie completely dated. 2. IT'S NOT FUNNY! This movie is so bad that it will go as far as to steal the jokes from other movies. In one scene they literally steal a joke from the movie borat (2006), Literally the same joke line for line! THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PARODY AND STEALING! A few days ago I rewatched one of my favorite comedies Young Frankenstien. Why Is this film funny? Because it doesn't just make references. Young Frankenstien tries so hard to creat the environment of the original 1931 film, even going as far as to use the same exact props from the 1931 film. Also the film works because it was written by the comedy legend Mel Brooks. Epic Movie fails because mostly because of the awful writing of Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer who are also known for making other terrible "Parody" movies as Disaster Movie, Date Movie, Meet the Spartins, and Vampires Suck. Overall, if your looking for a good comedy to watch, avoid epic movie and watch Young Frankenstien.
August 18, 2017
One of the only films i have switched off half way through
½ July 26, 2017
Epic Movie is a film with gloriously unfunny, horrid acting, destructive writing, cheap production values and dreadful directing. A total dud on almost 65 levels... AVOID AVOID AVOID
July 2, 2017
This Movie Was Really Also Fucking Awful Too!
June 9, 2017
This movie is pretty stupid.
June 2, 2017
In nature, the monkey expresses boredom, anger and general displeasure by hurling his feces. While watching Epic Movie, I desperately longed to be a monkey. Imagine having the irreproachable honor of chucking a piping stack of excrement, watch it explode Pollock style across the screen, and know that your action did absolutely nothing to mar the quality of what was being viewed. Now that's a chest beater.

Alas, I'm no monkey, so I'll have to disguise my baser impulses with a thin veneer of civility. By all means, consider this submission a metaphorical fling of my poo. Get ready to duck.

Few movies of this kind provoke my ire, but this one comes closer than any other. The movie, if you can call it such, is a string of skits cobbled together higgledy piggledy for the sole purpose of lampooning various blockbuster movies from recent past. Plot be damned, and the jokes that go with them too.

As far as synopsis goes, the movie revolves around four children from different backgrounds who come together and realize they have a shared destiny. If you think that's a vague, inappropriate plot summary, don't fret; the brainchild behind this swill never cooked the story beyond that sentence either. Basically, you've just been informed about the entire movie. Sorry for the spoiler.

What follows is an 86-minute shoehorning of every possible parody without rhyme, reason, and more importantly, humor. Past movie spoofs like Naked Gun, Airplane, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, etc, possessed a bizarre, daffy wit. Instead, Epic Movie consists of a horribly awkward X-Men skit that lacks any comic bite. More embarrassing is Crispin Glover as a fey Willy Wonka who performs nonsensical dance moves. Ditto for Keith Carradine's museum curator in the movie's opening skit of The Davinci Code. It's not a parody when the punchline consists of stunt doubles performing pretzel twists. It really shows nothing worth ridiculing about the movie it sets to spoof, and therefore it's not funny. This is an instance where imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery.

At every turn, Epic Movie dumbfounded me with its awful, hackneyed visual gags. As the flatulent lion, Fred Willard's Aslo is locked in combat with another manimal. In the long shots, the movie makes it obvious that there are doubles at work. In close-ups, the stunt actor is clearly Asian to Willard's wrinkly Caucasian self. Funny, but you know what? It's been done before. And better.

It's telling that comedy veterans like Jennifer Coolidge (The White Bitch of Narnia) and Fred Willard couldn't even mine any comic juice from this desert script. Credit Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer for writing (and directing) this greenlit dung pile. Here's a sample line that passes for dialogue:

Susan: We have to get out of here.

Lucy: We have to get out of here. [Susan looks annoyed that Lucy repeats everything she says]

Compare that to a classic nugget from The Naked Gun:

Drebin [standing at the foot of a ladder, looking off camera, ostensibly up Jane's skirt]: Nice Beaver

Jane [coming down from the ladder with a beaver]: I just had it stuffed.

As for the actors who play the four children (Kal Penn, Jayma Mays, Faun A. Chambers and Adam Campbell), well, they're still young enough in their careers that acquitting them would be the charitable thing to do. Ok, I'm kidding. After Kal Penn's wonderful turn as Kumar in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Penn reduces himself to an insipid prop.

I can't bring myself to further waste my time writing about this and further wasting yours by reading it. I believe you get the picture. Without the gut busting zip of a Zucker/Abrahams work or the insolent and raunchy humor of a Wayans' Brothers concoction, Epic Movie just left me wanting something I'd lost - namely 86 minutes of my life and ten dollars.
½ March 14, 2017
This is movie is the personification of being dumb is not automatically funny.
February 16, 2017
average with some good laughs
January 29, 2017
Epic Movie gives audiences exactly what you would expect from a Friedberg/Seltzer film, including but not limited to lazy pop culture gags, scatological humor, offensive sterotypes, mean-spirited characters and horrible acting.
January 25, 2017
I heard it was better than you'd expect from these kind of movies. I watch them all anyway so I want to see it.
January 25, 2017
Epic pants. I really have no idea why i put myself through these films - just maybe with the slight hope that they could make me laugh and everytime they fail.
January 8, 2017
Epic Movie is yet another shot at the "parody" genre, this time taking a hit at some of the biggest movies ever made in film history. This film could have been great. This film could have been enjoyable and clever and pretty good. But Jesus CHRIST this film went way too far. Right when the opening sequence for this film was over I absolutely knew what this was going to be: A uncomfortable experience filled with awkward long lasting sequences ruined by completely unfunny pop culture references. And that's really what this entire film was. They went really far with the pop culture references this time and I mean almost every miniute a unfunny pop culture reference was just thrown out to take up running time. Slightly better than "Date Movie", this film was dissapointing because it could have been really smart and well made, but it turned out to be a horrible experience, especially since some well respected actors were in this film and these people have shown before that they can be funny and talented. But no, this film is a low budget unfunny piece of crap, don't waste your time.
½ December 20, 2016
I watched it...sigh...
½ November 21, 2016
i remember wanting to see this as a kid but even then i thought it sucked
November 6, 2016
Funny but very dumb. A good time if you just want some raunchy humor. Other than that, very bad in almost every aspect.
October 10, 2016
It not funny just very weird...
½ October 1, 2016
Unfunny and painfully not clever