Ernest & Célestine Reviews

• Nov 10, 2019

Great imagery. Even though the artwork and line work is simple, everything looks beautiful. The rat lady is instilling fear into the little mice children. Very charming and sweet movie without being cheesy or corny. I love the different concepts and ideas in this movie. Like how the rats try to brainwash both the mice and rats into thinking that all bears are bad and they should fear them. Also how the law enforcement blends into one big object when they'e chasing Ernest & Celestine. The movie kind of tackles the whole concept of the big man living up on land with the nice nature and the small man has to live underneath land because of fear of the big man. Two different societies both living in fear of one another. Watching this movie kind of reminded me of Leon: The Professional. This is a movie everyone can enjoy and appreciate. The mix of real life adult issues like dealing with authority and growing up without any parents mixed in with the charm and cuteness of the whole movie makes for something very fresh and original to watch. Such a simple movie both in art and in storytelling but impactful. Beautiful movie both visually and morally.

• Dec 26, 2018

I loved it! The art is terrific! The characters are likable! I got so attached to them!

• Oct 13, 2018

It was such a great animation film. Certainly this film teaches us something important. The message behind is beyond the friendship between Ernest and Celestine. Nowadays, animation movies tend to be bloody and dark, but this film was so a pure and teach the audience how to be brave. I recommend everybody to watch this film.

• Oct 06, 2018

It's a bit boring for me.

It's a bit boring for me.

• Sep 29, 2018

Based on the children's books by Gabrielle Vincent, this Oscar-nominated animation wins hearts with its pencil-sketched and watercolour-dappled sprightliness and an affable friendship fable of the unlikely friendship of the eponymous mouse and bear.

• Sep 02, 2018

Pleasing to both eye and soul.

Pleasing to both eye and soul.

• Aug 25, 2018

Such a lovely picture with rare delight of pure heartening sweetness and excellent parallel in storytelling of the titular pair displaying the best in social meaning of friendship, whose voices were very well-casted to match the overall charm of the animated medium's shrunken attention. (A) (Full review TBD)

• Jan 17, 2018

Ernest & Celestine went up against Frozen at the Oscars in 2014. I have to say that even though Frozen won, this little film deserved it more. It's a gorgeous and heartwarming French film about a little mouse and a big bear that come together after their respective worlds discard them. The hand-drawn animation is gorgeous and the voices are delightful. Each frame looks like a pencil and watercolor sketch, with a lack of digital exactness that makes it refreshingly unlike the latest Disney and Pixar offerings. I watched it in French, but the English dub has a lot of big name actors. They were right to get behind this little gem.

• Dec 31, 2017

A very heart warming film in its simplicity.

A very heart warming film in its simplicity.

• Dec 18, 2017

Puntaje Original: 5.0 Talvez después de ver esta película, los niños quieran volverse amigos de los criminales y encontrar su lado tierno.