Farewell, My Queen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Farewell, My Queen Reviews

July 18, 2016
I loved it. I really enjoy true stories and the beautiful scenery too.
½ July 16, 2016
Tried watching but couldn't get into it.
½ January 5, 2016
Beautiful and it really captured the era.
½ August 20, 2015
Lea Seydoux's performance and the whole setting really made you feel like you were in the love and experiencing all the chaos. Also, the costumes and sets were really beautiful and you couldn't expect less. Overall, the movie was quite slow but with a strong strong story and performances by Seydoux and Kruger.
~August 20, 2015~
August 18, 2015
Léa Seydoux does a wonderful job as Sidonie Laborde in this French film. Her eyes are soulful and watching, The action moves between the gilded drawing rooms of the nobles and to the back quarters for those that serve the king and queen.
August 6, 2015
A tense period drama with fitting performances from both Léa Seydoux and Diane Kruger as the queen's reader and Marie Antoinette, respectively.
½ May 29, 2015
I am so puzzled by the low viewer rating this film currently carries. Benoît Jacquot's study of the last few days before The French Revolution starts is astonishingly potent. Everything is seen through the eyes of one of Antoinette's ladies in waiting played brilliantly by Lea Seydoux. This is an intelligent, insightful and intense study of chaos brewing as the mob readies to take the "castle" --- masterfully crated from all perspectives.
½ January 30, 2015
Watching the last days of Marie Antoinette and King Louis 16 through the eyes of one of her servants in the Palace of Versailles. The downfall of the French monarchy. Very different from reading history text books. They didn't seem too extravagant from what I saw in the movie.
½ January 10, 2015
Small and precious, about the last days of Versailles from the point of view of one of the many invisible women of history.
½ November 15, 2014
Farewell, My Queen is an excellent film. It is about a look at the relationship between Marie Antoinette and one of her readers during the first days of the French Revolution. Diane Kruger and Lea Seydoux give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Benoit Jacquot did an alright job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Farewell, My Queen is a must see.
October 7, 2014
Intimate, beautiful, well acted story.
September 20, 2014
Marie-Antoinette's (Diane Kruger) downfall as seen from the eyes of the servants around her, particularly Lea Seydoux's character, the queen's librarian. Benoit Jacquot's adaptation of Chantal Thomas' novel feels natural and vivid, foregoing any semblance of stilted dialogue or strong cinematic dramatism - letting, instead, the dire reality of the situation gradually catch up with the viewer and the various characters in their different stages of confusion, while the film's mise en scène captures time and place seemingly well.
August 22, 2014
Léa Seydoux is one of the most important French actors working and Benoît Jacquot has always seemed to have a gift for directing female actors. She is brilliant in the leading role. And, the film is absolutely fascinating to watch. Though historians may get a bit annoyed, this is historical fiction and it is done brilliantly. The film unspools the last days of Marie Antoinette's court and we see everything from the eyes of the servants. Beautifully shot and expertly edited, this is a great movie from start to finish.
½ August 21, 2014
A new view on an old story. I liked it.
July 22, 2014
Expecting all the grandeur of the Château de Versailles and then seeing mostly the rat-infested servant's quarters and bleak hallways is truly a disappointment for some. Yet it is Seydoux's character that fills these depths with rich melancholia in powerful contrast to the powder-faced men within the white and golden walls of the French royal residence.
May 22, 2014
This was boring to me.
April 8, 2014
It felt like grasping for a breath of French history.
½ February 17, 2014
The fall of Versailles and the last days of Marie Antoinette
½ February 17, 2014
This film talks about the servants than their own Marie Antoinette. Interesting.