Georgia Rule - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Georgia Rule Reviews

jjnxn
August 14, 2007
Jane Fonda's always worth watching but this movie is a mess.
LWOODS04
April 26, 2009
WASN'T INTERESTED IN SEEING THIS MOVIE, BUT I HAPPEND TO COME ACROSSED IT ON T.V. ON A BORING SUNDAY NIGHT. THE TRUTH IS I HAD NO DESIRE TO SEE THIS MOVIE BECAUSE IT STARS LINDSAY LOHAN. NOT A BIG FAN, BUT WHEN SHE TRYS, SHE CAN ACT. THIS MOVIE THOUGH WASN'T WATCHED BY MANY BECAUSE OF ALL THE HYPE IT WAS GETTING ABOUT LOHAN BEING LATE, AND SO AND SO ON. SO IT WAS PRETTY MUCH BEING TREATED LIKE IT HAD THE GIGLI DESEASE. I DIDN'T WATCH IT THINKING IT WAS GOING TO BE GOOD. I WAS SORTA RIGHT AND WRONG. IT WASN'T NEARLY AS BAD AS IT WAS MADE OUT TO BE. IT HAD AN INTERESTING STORY LINE. WASN'T REALLY CARRIED OUT THAT WELL. FELICITY HUFFMAN WAS EXCELLENT IN HER ROLE. LOVE JANE FONDA. LINDSAY... WELL SHE WAS OK. JUST SEEMED LIKE SHE WASN'T REALLY INTO HER CHARACTER. WHICH REALLY WOULD HAVE CHANGED THE WHOLE FEELING ON THE MAJOR ISSUE THIS MOVIE WAS ABOUT. I WOULD RECOMMEND PEOPLE TO SEE THIS, CAUSE IN THE MIX OF IT ALL THERE IS A SOME TOUCHY THINGS THEY ARE TRYING DESPERATELY TO ADDRESS. REALLY COULD HAVE BEEN DONE BETTER WITH A DIFFERENT ACTRESS. LINDSAY JUST DIDN'T DO HER CHARACTER JUSTICE. JUST MEDIOCRE ACTING FROM HER.
½ June 14, 2009
no-one should have to admit that theyve seen this... and i never will! .... uh i mean... i never will see it..yea
½ June 5, 2009
These edgy/promiscuous/abused-girl roles don't really work as star vehicles if the actress is kind of a fuck-up in real life already. The story is blisteringly circuitous - did Arnold abuse her? Did he not? I would actually empathize with Rachel more if she DID make the whole thing up because then, her flaws are her own and she can't "blame" them on anybody. Why is Cary Elwes cast in so many slimy, smarmy roles nowadays? He's Westley goddammit!!! WESTLEY!!!!
May 17, 2008
I ran across this...and watched it one night..expecting the worst. To turn it off and go find something better to do...but there was something in this...

[review TBC]
May 9, 2007
It was okay. The acting was a bit over-dramatic.
October 1, 2007
Interesting story but I think it unfolded wrong. Kinda felt akward throughout this one.
September 29, 2007
The story is pretty normal - bratty kid gets sent to Grandma's when nobody else can handle her. Grandma's rules have distanced her from her daughter and threaten to do same for her grand-daughter.

Of course, all three learn something about life and family ties. I couldn't understand the dance around the "is she telling the truth or lying?" aspect of the movie.
magnum32004
½ May 12, 2007
Not recommended for anyone who's curious.
½ May 28, 2009
A heaping helping of anger and angst propel this tale of a family that puts the "dys" in dysfunctional. Lilly (Felicity Huffman) sends her daughter, Rachel (Lindsey Lohan) off to her mother, Georgia's (Jane Fonda) house for the summer, hoping that the discipline that she herself rebelled against as a teenager will help straighten out her girl-gone-wild daughter. Ms Lohan amazed this viewer with her performance as the young woman who used anger and her sexuality to call attention to the truth of what was going on at home. One only hopes that the promise she showed here has not been squandered as her character seems to mirror the actor's life since the film was made. Ms Huffman is truly one of her generation's most gifted actors and gave another marvelous performance as the mother who failed to protect her daughter and disappointed her mother. And Ms Fonda was perfect as the steely matriarch with a hidden soft spot. This viewer believes these three actresses were well matched to tell this particular story. This viewer particularly enjoyed the way the people in this small town reacted to the big city, spoiled little rich girl and her antics. Solid supporting cast, a heart wrenching tale, and beautiful scenery rounded out the experience. Four and half stars.
September 8, 2007
There were definitely some scenes I really could have done without... but overall, what a great subject to explore with memorable characters. Dealt with some serious issues such as child molestation but I think the actors did a decent job with it. the tables kept turning as you never know what's true and what's a lie.
May 11, 2007
This was an amazing movie! The premise of the movie is a troubled family sending their insane daughter to live with her hard-nosed Grandmother in Idaho. From the previews, I was expecting a lame, even raunchy comedy, boy I was I wrong. While it had it's comedic aspect to it, it was so much more than that. It was the story of trust and redemption that centers not around Georgia and her rules, but rather around her grandaughter played by Lindsey Lohan. I don't like Lohan, her previous roles, or even how she is as a person, but in this movie, she's terrific. I think it's because she was actually playing herself. A smart but troubled girl, who acts slutty and stupid to keep up apperances to hide from her own misery. This movie was smart and funny as well as deep and emotional. It's a can't miss film that everyone should see!
August 11, 2010
Come for a comedy, stay for an afterschool special. Despite its slap-sticky trailer and one-liner strewn ad campaign, Georgia Rule is neither a dramatic comedy nor a romantic comedy nor a family comedy. Come to think of it, despite the usually steady hand of erstwhile female-centric comedy director Garry Marshall (Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride, The Princess Diaries), even the few intentionally funny moments are about as laugh-out-loud as a public hanging. If there were a genre capable of pigeonholing this insipid preachy hogwash, however, it would most certainly be ?Dramatic-awfully.? To group this insultingly cloying film in with the accepted canon of ?chick flicks? (Beaches, Steel Magnolias) would be to set the feminist movement back by a millennium.

In this surprisingly austere PG-13-rated drama, a frustrated mother (Felicity Huffman) takes her uncontrollable daughter (Lohan) to the one place she swore she would never return?her domineering mother?s (Fonda) Idaho farm.

Drinking and language and rape?oh my! For argument?s sake, let us imagine that the consensus of filmgoers walked into the theater oblivious to the fact that the movie poster adorning their theater featured three movie stars happy-go-luckily grinning from ear-to-ear. Open to the possibility of watching a drama, any audience would certainly entertain the strains of the rather serious themes addressed in Georgia Rule, right? Of course?only the murky plotting and forceful character development crocheted between the comedic moments makes for one mess of a mosaic that unintentionally makes light of its dark undercurrents. Think: the historic abortion episode of Maude but with pratfalls.

Bottom line: As laugh-out-loud as a public hanging.
cobaein
June 18, 2010
There isnt any doubt that Lindsay Lohan is attractive...
But if she is like in this movies, I wont say yes if she asking me for a date.
½ June 4, 2007
Teenagers have issues....parents have conflicts...but grandmothers like Georgia have rules! Pick this up it has a message for everyone.
½ May 12, 2007
Very fun movie, realistic, and worth seeing.
Naughtia
May 15, 2010
The 3 generations of women end up living under the same roof for a summer and things get very tense. They each have their personal problems and are trying to work them out. In this mormon country, the youngest (Lohan) is considered to be the beautiful foreign girl which turns all guys heads. Her mother (Huffman) is yet to work on her dead-end relationship. And her grandmother (Fonda) is the one making the important decisions. They come together to develope a good bond which makes them stronger as a family. This movie is a must-see.
xxdebxx
½ September 8, 2008
I thought this was gonna be some light hearted chick comedy but it was far from that....love her or hate her u got to gave Lindsey Lohan credit for her role in this film. The issues of trust, communication, betrayal, and values are all well presented. Best scene for me is Lohan's confrontation with the girlfriends of Hedlund's former girlfriend. I have no doubt that she would have carried out her threat . Rebelliousness and lying, drug abuse, promiscuousness, cynicism, using sex as way to show affection and control, the need to be just loved by a man without sex ...Lohan is good at protraying all these emotions and making it believable. I think she does an incredible job.
June 22, 2007
This had the potential to be a good movie,but it just kept going back and forth too much,did she lie,was she telling the truth,blah,blah. Huffman and Fonda and even Lohan for that matter should have been able to sift through this muck. I expect better from Garry Marshall.Ending wasnt very redemptive either