Getting Even With Dad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Getting Even With Dad Reviews

September 5, 2016
It's kinda entertaining, but feels unfocused! Mac refused to accept the fact that his film career was going down the drain, and no exception here!
August 9, 2015
An ideal film for a Sunday afternoon. Enjoyable
June 15, 2015
I don't know....it wasn't horrible. It was just weird. Very weird.
½ March 24, 2015
Wannabee Home Alone cash grab. Burn this movie.
January 23, 2015
I liked this film way more than I thought I would, just the idea was so new to me, I am a big fan of Culkin and he made this movie stand out and worth while. Though the plot progresses slowly and I wish more could have happened to develop a better relationship between father and son, I enjoyed every second of this movie :)
October 19, 2014
A little corny but delightful
October 2, 2014
Small time crook Ray Gleason (Ted Danson) just committed the perfect crime, but it took one small thing to screw it up - a visit from his son. Because after a lifetime of being ignored, Timmy (Macaulay Culkin) is getting even!

also stars Glenne Headly, Saul Rubinek, Hector Elizondo, Sam McMurray, Kathleen Wilhoite and Dann Florek.

directed by Howard Deutch.
August 11, 2014
(First viewing - Childhood)
January 25, 2014
Though it is heavily formulaic and far from Home Alone's charm, Getting Even With Dad still has some laughs and a lot of heart along with Macaulay Culkin's decent, clever performance.
May 9, 2013
A little cheeseball, but within the gimmicks are a few good moments.
April 18, 2013
I like Macaulay Culkin and his films like the first two Home Alones, Uncle Buck, My Girl and The Pagemaster, and after seeing some tepid reviews and a very low ratings I was expecting not to like Getting Even with Dad. But I actually did. It isn't perfect, it is overlong with an obvious and predictable story and the pace slackens at times, but this is a much better film than I was led to believe.

It does look very nice, with good photography and scenery, and the soundtrack was mellow and engaging enough too. Getting Even with Dad does have some funny parts at the expense of Danson's inept sidekicks, and some poignant moments without being too mawkish. Howard Deutch is a talented director, and he proves it I think here, and I really enjoyed the performances of Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson both of whom carry the movie with ease.

All in all, far from perfect but there are much worse out there. 6/10
March 24, 2013
Good afternoon film, chillin
March 21, 2013
Yeah, the one with Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson. Avoid at all conceivable cost.
½ January 18, 2013
If they had negative stars I would go in the negatives.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ October 31, 2012
The only way to get even with everyone responsible for this movie is to rape their grandfathers with pickles filled with battery acid. Or watch Daredevil, though that's much worse.
October 24, 2012
Ray (Ted Dansonb) has to spend time with his son in order to get the coins back, this includes trips to a swimming park, a mini golf course and meals out, and for a while this is getting on his nerves, but actually over time the father is getting closer to and finding admiration for his son. Meanwhile the police are also trying to find the coins and catch the gang out, with Detective Theresa Walsh (Glenne Headly) going undercover to get close to the main man, and unintentionally falling for him.
½ October 8, 2012
One of their careers was dead and the other was just moments from flatlining. You can guess who is the former and who is the latter.
September 9, 2012
Superb, Culkin is classic, Danson is immense... soundtrack unreal. One of my childhood favourites.