Gilda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gilda Reviews

February 10, 2018
Film noir based in Argentina with a gorgeous Hayworth to boot, well maybe she's the main attraction. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 21, 2018
With complex, dark and mysterious characters, 'Gilda' is one big character-study and somewhat clumsy in the story department where certain elements are introduced, but hardly explored at all. Nevertheless, if you like character-driven affairs, then it's captivating from beginning to end with the sultry and tense atmosphere pulling you in further and further as the film progresses. Of course, that is in no small part due to the engaging, perfectly cast on-screen trio, with a particularly spellbinding performance from Rita Hayworth as the vivid titular character.
December 21, 2017
Words can't describe how beautiful Rita Hayworth looks! This movie depicts how love can be exciting, detrimental, passionate, and tragic.
May 5, 2017
Rita Hayworth is jaw-droppingly beautiful, and there is sizzling love/hate chemistry on all sides of the triangle. Shame about the last five minutes, but otherwise highly enjoyable.
February 3, 2017
Sharp early noir, exploting Rita Hayworths considerable sexualism into a explosive three-heart-drama.
November 14, 2016
Rita Hayworth is spectacular
October 14, 2016
Film Noir with a twist. Rita Hayworth sizzles on screen. A can't miss.
September 27, 2016
I did enjoy this but I also found it kind of Casablanca-lite in tone, the story never really captivates and Ford is no Bogart. Hayworth of course looks amazing on screen and lights up the scene whenever she is present. The homo-erotic undertones are also extremely clever especially for the time. Worth seeing but not quite the Hollywood classic for me.
September 14, 2016
i thought it was a pretty good movie
August 30, 2016
George Macready is not crippled in the movie! You had better watch it yourself before writing a description of it! M Neal
July 15, 2016
The film rests on Hayworth's performance and she doesn't stumble.
½ June 29, 2016
Come for Rita Hayworth's infamous hair flip, stay for the psychopathic love triangle. You can easily ignore the out of place happy ending, as it happens rather abruptly, and focus instead on the witty and cynical rest of the movie.
½ June 5, 2016
Rita Hayworth lights-up the screen in this film-noir. There were flaws with the story for me, but overall it's pretty good, and Hayworth is great. Definitely worth a watch for all film lovers!
½ May 25, 2016
The movie completely falls apart after the plane crash scene after a very good first half. Great performances by the two leads.
½ April 18, 2016
Gilda looks like a boss ass bitch. i don't understand why she can't handle her life and the two assholes in it. Especially Johnny, he is so unlikable. I mean she is doing a striptease because she is hurt since Johnny thinks she is a whore and then she slaps her. As Carlos Magalh„es said in another review here, "let's not overlook how stupid, implausible and misogynist this film really is, painting Gilda as a mischievous femme fatale when in fact she is a victim in the hands of two hideous men"
January 30, 2016
Johnny Farrell (Glenn Ford) is a two-bit gambler who falls into a sweet gig where he manages a casino for an enigmatic mogul (George Macready). Unfortunately for Johnny, his boss' new wife (Rita Hayworth) is an old flame that he'd rather forget. This noir film made Rita Hayworth into a star and it's still acclaimed for its piercing dialogue, lavish costumes, unorthodox take on sexuality, and tight editing. It does lose a few points in my book since Hollywood's internal censors forced director Charles Vidor to tack on a moralizing "happy ending", but I'd argue that Gilda is still worth seeing. At the same time, I can't help but feel that the story would've been more interesting (and layered) had this movie been made either twenty years earlier or twenty years later.
December 13, 2015
Rita Hayworth! 1946 == so watch online.
½ July 31, 2015
Shows its age and badly; despite characters constantly referring to the Argentine setting there's no effort to make the backlot look it, and the subtlest of intentions are generally screamed to the back row. Through it all, there's still a decent romantic/psychological drama underneath.
June 4, 2015
Great film, what more can you say? Fantastic dialogue (some of Cinema History's best), a complex love triangle, and a stunning Rita in her all time most alluring role. More than just a pretty face, in a film noir that's more just a story of past hatreds. Smoldering and sad mixed together with bitter; the end result forms one of Hollywood's finest screen experiences.
½ February 1, 2015
Watched this black and white movie remastered for dvd from the 1940s. The big draw was Rita Heyworth, but Glenn Ford was pretty good too. Also the storyline was interesting. It almost reminded me of soon city a little bit. I was disappointed to learn that Rita lip syncs all her songs. She sure can dance though. Add that was her first profession. I'd always heard this was one of her best films and I'd say it was pretty good. Definitely glad I saw it.