Hall Pass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hall Pass Reviews

September 24, 2017
One of the best comedies of all times.
September 12, 2017
I liked it. Action-packed and mostly NOT predictable. A must-see!
½ August 22, 2017
Good fun comedy from the Farrelly Bros :)
July 12, 2017
lots of funny parts. but also lots of dumb stuff, especially everything about the wives' side of the story. annoying and stupid. (3 viewings)
May 6, 2017
Not my favorite to watch the only thing I liked was when they where on the Beach and the music
½ May 4, 2017
The Farrelly brothers appear to have regressed into deep toilet humor. If not for Osmosis Jones this would be their worst movie. (First and only viewing - 5/27/2013)
½ April 24, 2017
This movie kills ever wanting to get married for me. Hate this movie.
March 22, 2017
The only reason anyone would see this is because of the directors and the main stars. If the two cast members were, say, Pauly shore and Andy dick, and the director was Dennis Dugan, it would fail miserably. However, since that is not the case, it's an average, fine movie. You will definitely laugh in this, and when haven't Jason Sudekis and Owen Wilson been man children? Alas, it's different here. You just feel dirty after watching it, and it's more awkward than not, even though it's not as gross as there's something about Mary. It's not as funny either. Maybe there's just something I don't like about the idea of infidelities riding on a plot point. Look how Laurel canyon turned out, it's an hour and 40 minutes of an engaged couple cheating on each other, and in the last 10 minutes, they finally decide to do something about it. Luckily, this has more story and charm, but be warned, you'll feel dirty and dumber after watching it
½ August 29, 2016
Fair adult comedy with a few humorous moments, but perhaps not enough in the grand scheme of things. It's also very moralistic by its end, which is no surprise.
½ August 22, 2016
There's some funny moments, like towards the end with Stephen merchant and some unfunny moments, a recurring gag over faking oral sex. Here's one of those pretty mindless dirty comedies that is more embracing of values than you'd expect it to be.
August 21, 2016
Unnecessarily over the top on many things. Not my bag.
August 20, 2016
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ August 20, 2016
Moderately entertaining.
August 11, 2016
Rick (Owen Wilson) and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) are best friends as are their wives, Maggie (Jenna Fischer) and Grace (Christina Applegate). They are both unhappy with their married lives and missing the old days when they were single. Realizing this, their wives talk to their friend Dr. Lucy (Joy Behar) and decide to give them a "Hall Pass": A week off from marriage during which they can have sex with other women. They are skeptical at first, but ultimately accept the offers and try to pick up women with their friends Gary (Stephen Merchant), Flats (J. B. Smoove) and Hog Head (Larry Joe Campbell). But the guys take their time and their week is almost up and they havenīt really reached their goal. What they don't realize is that at the same time their wives make connections of their own...

Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads, "Some filmgoers may be surprised by the Farrellys' defense of traditional domestic values in Hall Pass -- unfortunately, they'll probably also be dismayed by the absence of laughs." Critic Roger Ebert gave the film two and a half out of four stars saying, "A problem with Hall Pass, I think, is that both Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis are affable, and the movie wants us to like them." Richard Roeper gave the film a B?, stating that there are some points where it gets a little graphic, but it's all for a good laugh. The UltraCulture film blog said that its biggest problem wasn't its attitude to women (although that was brought into question), but its "disguising of an inherently conservative movie as some kind of anything-goes frat house sex romp." British newspaper The Telegraph named Hall Pass one of the ten worst films of 2011, saying, "Hall Pass is outright hideous and also embarrassing, like a creepy uncle sporting a backwards baseball cap and cracking bad, lewd jokes for the under-thirties. At a funeral." The Farrelly brothers has served the moviegoers with ups and downs, mostly downs the past years and "Hall Pass" is hardly part of the ups. My main problem here is the tired stereotypical character structure, with the males being incompetent, pathetic, hapless and dependent, while the females are bitchy, controlling, evil and sure on their own sovereignty. Itīs truly tiring to see this displayed in the film. The idea of a "Hall Pass" is also extremely tiring and juvenile. With the message that a wife can have an extramarital affair and itīs ok because she does "love her husband", but the husband cannot, or at least if he does, the marriage is for sure over, is just offensive in every direction when we are struggling globally to achieve a balance for the sexes in salaries, status etc. "Hall Pass" gets a gigantic pass from me.
July 23, 2016
Lol, I thought it was funny
½ July 2, 2016
Funny epilogue, lol. There is a crazy guy that kind of made it go down 0.5 stars, but besides that, it was a movie.
June 30, 2016
Hall Pass is a pass for me. This movie is not that good. This is one of Jason Sudeikis' and Owen Wilson's worst movie yet. This movie lacks comedy. However, it does have the romance. I would not really suggest this movie.
June 9, 2016
It's funny, predictable, and makes an obvious statement on sad truth of marriage relationships.
April 30, 2016
February 28th 2011,
August 16th 2011
February 26th 2013
March 19th 2014
April 28th 2016
April 28, 2016
It's not a classic, but it is a disposal American comedy with some genuine laughs. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis good value.