Hall Pass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hall Pass Reviews

½ August 29, 2016
Fair adult comedy with a few humorous moments, but perhaps not enough in the grand scheme of things. It's also very moralistic by its end, which is no surprise.
½ August 22, 2016
There's some funny moments, like towards the end with Stephen merchant and some unfunny moments, a recurring gag over faking oral sex. Here's one of those pretty mindless dirty comedies that is more embracing of values than you'd expect it to be.
August 21, 2016
Unnecessarily over the top on many things. Not my bag.
August 20, 2016
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ August 20, 2016
Moderately entertaining.
August 11, 2016
Rick (Owen Wilson) and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) are best friends as are their wives, Maggie (Jenna Fischer) and Grace (Christina Applegate). They are both unhappy with their married lives and missing the old days when they were single. Realizing this, their wives talk to their friend Dr. Lucy (Joy Behar) and decide to give them a "Hall Pass": A week off from marriage during which they can have sex with other women. They are skeptical at first, but ultimately accept the offers and try to pick up women with their friends Gary (Stephen Merchant), Flats (J. B. Smoove) and Hog Head (Larry Joe Campbell). But the guys take their time and their week is almost up and they havenīt really reached their goal. What they don't realize is that at the same time their wives make connections of their own...

Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads, "Some filmgoers may be surprised by the Farrellys' defense of traditional domestic values in Hall Pass -- unfortunately, they'll probably also be dismayed by the absence of laughs." Critic Roger Ebert gave the film two and a half out of four stars saying, "A problem with Hall Pass, I think, is that both Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis are affable, and the movie wants us to like them." Richard Roeper gave the film a B?, stating that there are some points where it gets a little graphic, but it's all for a good laugh. The UltraCulture film blog said that its biggest problem wasn't its attitude to women (although that was brought into question), but its "disguising of an inherently conservative movie as some kind of anything-goes frat house sex romp." British newspaper The Telegraph named Hall Pass one of the ten worst films of 2011, saying, "Hall Pass is outright hideous and also embarrassing, like a creepy uncle sporting a backwards baseball cap and cracking bad, lewd jokes for the under-thirties. At a funeral." The Farrelly brothers has served the moviegoers with ups and downs, mostly downs the past years and "Hall Pass" is hardly part of the ups. My main problem here is the tired stereotypical character structure, with the males being incompetent, pathetic, hapless and dependent, while the females are bitchy, controlling, evil and sure on their own sovereignty. Itīs truly tiring to see this displayed in the film. The idea of a "Hall Pass" is also extremely tiring and juvenile. With the message that a wife can have an extramarital affair and itīs ok because she does "love her husband", but the husband cannot, or at least if he does, the marriage is for sure over, is just offensive in every direction when we are struggling globally to achieve a balance for the sexes in salaries, status etc. "Hall Pass" gets a gigantic pass from me.
July 23, 2016
Lol, I thought it was funny
½ July 2, 2016
Funny epilogue, lol. There is a crazy guy that kind of made it go down 0.5 stars, but besides that, it was a movie.
June 30, 2016
Hall Pass is a pass for me. This movie is not that good. This is one of Jason Sudeikis' and Owen Wilson's worst movie yet. This movie lacks comedy. However, it does have the romance. I would not really suggest this movie.
June 9, 2016
It's funny, predictable, and makes an obvious statement on sad truth of marriage relationships.
April 30, 2016
February 28th 2011,
August 16th 2011
February 26th 2013
March 19th 2014
April 28th 2016
April 28, 2016
It's not a classic, but it is a disposal American comedy with some genuine laughs. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis good value.
½ April 14, 2016
a brilliant comedy, right up to the standard
April 12, 2016
Days 4 and 5, as well as Steven Merchant's presence in the movie make this a must watch. And the extended goof reels AFTER the credits are great. I'll give it a 7 as a pleasant watch with several stellar moments.
PS yes it it crude and rude but offsets redeem it.
½ April 7, 2016
Thanks to this film, the term, "Hall Pass", became part of the modern urban vernacular, and while the term was a big success, the movie was not. For some reason, Hollywood film makers continue to think that Owen Wilson is funny, and maybe he is, but personally, I don't see it. I usually just wind up feeling sorry for whatever loser character he's portraying. In this film, Wilson and Jason Sudeikis play two guys who have been married awhile, and are starting to get bored. After seeing mutual friends of theirs divorce, the couples worry that they're headed down the same path. Thanks to some friendly advice from Joy Behar, the wives decide that the men should get a week off from marriage to do what they want, and the rest of the film, follows their antics in trying to pick up women after being out of the game for such a long time. The premise of the film isn't terrible and usually, Jason Sudeikis is pretty funny, but Hall Pass falls flat on it's face. This is supposed to be a comedy, so why does it take nearly an hour for the story to get to the point? By the time the guys are shopping for dates, I was bored and pretty much done with this film. In the second hour, the film does get a little better, but not nearly enough. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis are just two very different types of comedic actors and their styles didn't mesh well at all. If anything their antics together were more stupid than funny, and if there's one thing I can't stand when it comes to comedy, it's stupidity that leads nowhere. It was a good idea, but the writing wasn't very good, the actors didn't mesh, and the situations just weren't that extreme or funny. Hall Pass is just another forgettable film that fails to live up to expectations.
½ April 1, 2016
Hall Pass is first and foremost meant to be a comedy, and that is exactly where it fails. With little to no moments of true genuinely funny moments, it tries a commentary on marriage and accepted adultery. It loses itself in this message as well. The movie has few redeemable features, glossing over crude moments, blending a cliche trope of characters, and an embarrassment for the key actors. Hall Pass can be easily passed over for anything better.
March 6, 2016
I'm a Sudeikis fan, but I wish he'd make better choices than this.
January 30, 2016
From gawking to soirees to a round at the Resort; kept me laughing for the most part.
½ January 1, 2016
It took me 3 to 4 viewings to appreciate this one. And boy do I appreciate it now.
December 13, 2015
Hall Pass has a funny idea and the right actors to make it something special, but this film's ends up being bland, uneventful and unfunny. Instead of going all out and ridiculous, they play it safe and lame.