Higher Ground - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Higher Ground Reviews

November 19, 2016
Higher Ground is a movie that was on my Want to See list from 2011 and finally 5 years later I get around to viewing this dramatic flick.
The movie is about a woman that is brought up by religious family and even though she accepts God & Jesus the movie is the woman's journey of independent investigation of the truth for herself.
The story was good it shows the inner battles we have with ourselves to believe that there is a higher power or any religious questions we have.
My only problem with this flick was that it was a tad too long and too slow it made me does off a few times while watching the movie.
If you are into religious movies this is not bad a good movie. I gave it two stars only because it was too long and slow.
As it has adult themed subjects being discussed I do not recommend it for the kiddies.
October 20, 2015
Smart film about the conflict that a woman finds concerning her faith and her belonging to a some kind of extremist christian church. Some religious meetings and songs could be boring but are needed to show the bigotry of the church leaders against the disonant opinions.
June 8, 2015
This is a movie for grownups. It has grownup themes and situations, some mature language, and it's very honest about the struggles a LOT of Christians go through--and about some of the hypocrisy that sincere Christians have to face in their churches. It is not an anti-Christian movie, it's an anti-bull--- movie. If you have ever felt like the people around you in church were fake, or not quite getting it, or like their religious ideas and traditions were getting in the way of God, you will probably find this movie worthwhile. If you don't understand what makes Christians tick, or why intelligent people keep trying to pray to God in Jesus' name, you might get a clue from this movie, which ends on a strong note of faith. If your 'Christianity' is rigid and brittle, this honest little movie will probably make you mad pretty quickly. This is a low budget movie, and it shows a little--that's why I only gave it an 8, it's technically a little weak, and some scenes could have used a few more takes. But it gives a very heartfelt and true picture of life inside a lot of evangelical and pentecostal churches, and of the struggles a lot of people go through in trying to live for God.
½ March 16, 2015
Higher Ground does not ask the viewer to believe a certain way, but simply exhibits a woman's journey of faith without much bias.
February 8, 2015
The movie was interesting in the beginning but then I became confused and lost... So there was some disappointment in the end...
November 4, 2014
Interesting study of a faith that starts to flag in the face of maturity and intelligence.
March 11, 2014
An intriguing, if ultimately unsuccessful take on religion and how one woman (Vera Farmiga) begins to struggle with her faith while living within a somewhat cultish group of people. Farmiga shows she is a capable director, and her performance is outstanding, but ultimately the movie feels too simple, like she is settling instead of going all-in and taking real risks. In the end, the film benefits from its character development and remains interesting even if it is slowly paced, but ultimately it is just an average offering on the topic of religion that is not too memorable. Far from bad, but skipable.
February 22, 2014
An incredibly insightful and honest portrayal of finding and losing faith, but continuing to search.
November 20, 2013
. . .enthralling and powerfully believable. It is a courageous but sympathetic film that meddles between humanity's certain beliefs and practices.
½ August 17, 2013
Vera Farmiga makes an extremely impressive directorial debut with this low budget film. An examination of both self and faith, this movie is both enlightening and entertaining. A must see.
½ June 30, 2013
HIGHER GROUND is that rare film that depicts the difficulty of being human. By tracing one woman's struggle with her faith, Farmiga, explores friendship, family, career, art, and culture, and the importance of it all when trying to become a fully rounded human being. Avoiding stereotypes and cliches, HIGHER GROUND continually surprises in its analysis of religious faith. All the characters are fully rounded people--not bad or good--just human trying to make sense of it all. The film has the guts to show how difficult all decisions can be and the compromise inherent in life. This is a true indie in that it explores what mainstream films never do in a true in-depth way. It's not a perfect film, like many first time directors, Farmiga explains too much at times and includes cut-ins that do little to but emphasize what is already apparent but in other ways Farmiga shows the hand of an old master. HIGHER GROUND is subtle, caring, and most importantly, human and well-rounded. A lovely film.
May 2, 2013
Vera Farmiga does a fabulous job both in directing this film and playing a leading role. It is a study of a Christian community but also a study of presumptions about faith and how it is called into question at times in our lives.
March 27, 2013
Interesting subject matter, but too many plot lines go no where, including the main one.
March 4, 2013
Film interessante, che tratta con sensibilitÓ un tema delicato come la fede. Lo fa raccontanto il percorso di vita di Corinne, da adolescente a donna adulta e madre, e il suo senso di insoddisfazione e frustrazione nei confronti di un Dio con cui, nonostante tutti i suoi sforzi, sente di non riuscire a comunicare. Offre buoni spunti di riflessione, in particolare sulle differenze nel modo di rapportarsi alla fede. Il ritmo lento e la durata (forse eccessiva) lo rendono un po' pesante, anche se non manca qualche momento divertente. Nel complesso il mio giudizo Ŕ positivo.
½ February 23, 2013
i watched this cause exposing myself to something i have no interest in is probably good for me.
½ February 7, 2013
What a load of fundamentalist insincere rubbish, this is a classic case of someone who thinks they know about the Christian faith and in reality has no idea, the cliche ridden script makes me want to spew and if some ' Christian ' addressed me the way these blokes do I'd be running a mile from church. Do the writers REALLY think this is typical Christian behavior ? because this is so obviously ACTED its a joke. I literally had to stop myself gagging when listening to the insincere, syrupy slop that these " Christians" used to address each other...
½ January 27, 2013
Fantastisk debut av Farmiga om det opium vi kallar tro!
January 11, 2013
Farmiga is great and the main reason to watch this.
December 17, 2012
Really well made indie movie about the nature of faith. Vera Farmiga's directorial debut is perfectly observed and slowly heartbreaking. If Jesus is the definitive answer to all questions, and if you're intelligent, then it narrows down the diversity of questions you can ask.