Home Alone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home Alone Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
Macaulay Culkin is arguably one of the best child actors to ever hit the big screen. Home Alone shows how he can take the spotlight and entertain any viewer. With an addition of the Wet Bandits' hilarious antics and physical humor this is a very strong Christmas comedy that should be watched every year.
January 14, 2017
A neo-holiday classic. Perfect cast of witty, zany, snappy, and zestful characters. Great story build-up to the 3rd act's wild slapstick mad house. Rating 8 / 10
½ January 13, 2017
Yay IM Rating This MOVIE Not at Christmas Time Who Cares For an Upgrade And For The Movie Being SO GOOD They Dersurve A Christmas Cookie and Nice Mulk Sounds Good Huh!
January 7, 2017
A now legendary Christmas movie which is a necessary attribute for the winter holidays for the modern audience. It is really funny and contributes alot for the christmas mood.
½ January 7, 2017
Good, classic, family, funny movie. Ages very well.
December 31, 2016
04.01.2015,
14.11.2015,
31.12.2016
½ December 27, 2016
Exemplified by a wholesome performance by Macaulay Culkin and some truly hilarious slapstick, Home Alone remains a holiday classic that balances the comedy with heartfelt writing and charming direction.
½ December 26, 2016
Some of the best holiday/Christmas movies are those movies that, really, have very little to do with Christmas. And I really think that that's the problem with a lot of these films. Christmas is, really, such a limiting concept. You can only go a couple of ways with these films and, usually, filmmakers go for the sweet, sappy and corny. There's films like Bad Santa and Uncle Nick that try to subvert this genre with darker stories, but, even then, the end goal of the film isn't really about Christmas. They just happen to take place during the Christmas season and they certainly have some themes associated with the season, but they're not completely centered around Christmas with a, sort-of, tunnel vision where nothing else can come in. And, really, this movie is one of those holiday movies that takes place during the holidays, but isn't really completely centered on the holiday itself. Like I said, there's certain some elements associated with the 'genre', like when Kevin, after an incident where he gets grounded after a fight with his brother and ruins the family dinner, wishes for his family to disappear. I don't know who Kevin was asking for when he asked for this, but let's say it was Santa Claus. Actually now that I think about it, it was Santa Claus since, later in the film after his family has left for Paris, he goes to one of Santa's 'representative' for him to tell Santa that all he wants for Christmas is his family back. But I digress, maybe this movie wasn't even good in the 90s, but I don't think time has been super kind to this. Though, if we're being honest, this movie was never meant to be more than a crowd-pleaser. It was never made to please critics or people like me, who appreciate well-written movies with strong character development. That's not to say that I can't enjoy a film like this, as in something lighter in tone, I obviously have, but I don't think this movie has enough material to justify its own existence. John Hughes wrote some truly great movies in the 80s, but this is obviously not one of his best. Or at least it's a middle-of-the-road for him, considering that this is the same guy that wrote The Breakfast Club. Those two have nothing in comparison with the minor exception that Hughes wrote both of them. I think the main problem with the film is that it's fairly repetitive. Kevin wakes up, finds out that his family is gone. He does everything he couldn't do when he didn't have a family, rinse and repeat. There's not much variety in the movie. Oh and he also has to deal with these thieves that want to go in his house to steal his family's shit since, naturally, they feel that they can handle him. I haven't seen this movie in a long-ass time, seriously, and I remembered it being much more geared towards Kevin fucking over the thieves with various traps. Yet, it turns out that those segments of the film only, really, comprise like 15% of the entire movie. The thieves do follow Kevin around and they scout out his house, but the actual traps that Kevin sets and their effects on the thieves is actually very minimal. So, for the most part, I felt that the movie was really killing time before they got to that point. And, realistically speaking, I get why they left it all for the third act. You can't build an entire movie out of a kid foiling the thieves' plans with his traps, eventually the jokes would be repeated and the law of diminishing returns would end up applying here. So I get that, but there's no actual narrative to speak of here. Maybe Kevin realizing that he loves and misses his family in spite of how they treat him. But that's another thing that you can't build an entire movie out of. You also have Catherine O'Hara, who plays the mom, doing whatever it is she can do to get back to Chicago to Kevin. There's also this subplot with this old man that the kids around town believe to be a serial killer. And this is actually the best part of the entire film, once you get to see who this man is and his backstory. It's the only part of the film that has any actual emotional resonance. Which is strange seeing how much slapstick this film employs. And I'm not saying that this movie is ever bad, not even close, it's average at best. But I'm still surprised at that part of the story considering everything the movie ends up being about. And I guess the inclusion of this more emotional subplot does make sense what with it relating to Kevin's own issues with his family, but it still feels somewhat out of place. I will say that the segment with Kevin and the traps are surprisingly inspired and effective. And I don't even know why I'm surprised, really, but it's pretty good all things considered. So I can't complain about that aspect of the film. What I can complain is the lack of focus and direction for the rest of the movie. Macaulay Culkin was cute and good here, he didn't have great delivery but I liked him here, so I think it certainly got by for most people just because of him and him alone. But if you inspected the movie closer, you would obviously notice the flaws. It's a fairly decent movie and nothing more than that, I'm sure others will enjoy this much more than I did.
December 26, 2016
Home Alone. It's a movie about a kid who has to defend his house from burglars while he finally gets the solitude he REALLY wanted. He'll basically go as far as try to straight up murd...er, I mean subject them to cartoony traps that could be life-threatening in real life. Sounds like a messed up movie, right? Wrong. While it is a bit uneven at times, Home Alone benefits from the great performances from Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci and the rest. The film is chock-a-block with big laughs and the fact that Chris Columbus is sitting in the director's chair helps to make what could've been an uninteresting premise - I mean, who would want to watch a film about a kid messing around after finally earning some peace and quiet all to himself, huh? - into an entertaining family comedy that manages to rank as a Christmas classic.
December 25, 2016
Classic Christmas movie from 1990. Still love it!
December 24, 2016
One of the best holiday movies ever!
December 24, 2016
in love this movie it chrismas
December 24, 2016
A very funny, sometimes heartfelt, and very enjoyable holiday classic featuring great performances by Macaulay Culkin as the clever Kevin McCallister, and Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern as the goofball duo the Wet Bandits.
December 24, 2016
A holiday classic that is hilarious for adults and children.....,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦â¦...
December 24, 2016
one of my childhood favorites
December 24, 2016
Watch this once a year, but AVOID HOME ALONE 4! Yes, Home Alone 4 exists.
December 24, 2016
Boasting possibly the greatest child actor performance of all time. Home Alone brings a warm feeling for Christmas holidays, hilarious supporting roles, hilarious moments throughout and a heartfelt message for kids.
December 24, 2016
Best holiday movie ever made. Fuck you rotten tomatoes
December 23, 2016
a classic christmas movie and one of the best Christmas movies of all time
December 23, 2016
an instant classic as well as a long time staple of christmas.