In Secret Reviews

• Oct 13, 2020

SPOILERS; Sounded like an interesting premise, and I really like Jessica Lange...But I hated the actual story. A lot of it didn't make sense; when did the female lead and the friend start hooking up? Was the cousin supposed to be comical or was that unintentional? Why would Jessica Lange be satisfied at them killing themselves (as she appeared to be) rather than going on trial and facing public shaming + death? Why would anyone believe her accusations, when she showed herself freakishly obsessed with her son to the point of seeming like an 1800s Norma Bates (of course she would accuse them of murder even if not true)? Why not show the progression of the couple as they begin to hate each other - (it seemed so out of the blue)? A better ending would have been for the lovers to kill her too, get caught doing it, and maybe then getting hanged whilst still being in love. It would be a sad ending, but less frustrating and nonsensical.

• Jul 13, 2020

I'm sorry to disagree with the consensus of professional movie critics but this movie was great. Acting, story, directing. Maybe what the critics were looking for was another assembly line Hallmark love story of two people finding themselves as well as each other. BORING! This movie was not that. This movie ripped at what makes us tick and the consequences of putting your carnal desires above reason.

• Feb 02, 2020

We began watching this movie because we thought it'd be a good period romance. It was all fun and games until it got super dark and murdery. I have literally never been more terrified by a romance movie that was not meant to be a horror. They kept randomly flashing up a very terrifying dead face and the two lovers quickly became abusive.

• Jun 18, 2017

This is a pretty good film that's still hard to like - from raw lust to love to a losing all morality for an unthinkable scheme that is toxic to love AND lust ... to things worse ... to a strangely romantic end. And how sooty & dark was the industrial revolution in Europe before liberals & electric light. Seeing Jessica Lange, once an ingenue able to drive King Kong up a building, now looking so scary - and not from the costuming & make-up - is pretty scary. What time does to even the most fetching of formerly young women. Good. But good gracious. One needs to be in the mood for an initially sexy costume drama that twists toward darkness & drowns in doom.

• Oct 04, 2016

A tale of tragic secret affair. I never heard of it, but I found it accidentally and then decided to watch after learning it has a good cast. I mean not that they are the very popular ones right now in the Hollywood, maybe except Elizabeth Olsen, but awesomely played their roles. All the main four characters were very crucial throughout the narration. Like the title say, it was about a secret love affair between a young married woman and her handicapped husband's close friend. In between them, a mother of one of them played an important part in the story that brings a twist in the later part. An affair means, going any extent to achieve what they want for the permanent basis. But not all the affairs, but in this one it gets darker while the story progresses. One thing I liked very much was the tale never intended to label any of its characters as a villain. That balance was so brilliant, but I did not know that, so I always expected something very bad to happen and then, except in one scene which changes the course of the rest of the film. The cinematic feel is there, but it was more like in the real life event. No ones are evil and no ones are heroes, but everyone does all the good and bad things in their life and how serious those harmful acts, particularly how it destroys who are all involved in it was the film excellently told. It was based on the 150 years old French novel. It is also set in at the same time, I mean the 1860s, Paris. The recreation of the era was very good, but my only concern was the pace and the length of the film. Feels boring in some parts, other than that I got no issue with it. Having good actors with a decent direction, still it is like to belong in the B movie category. Though the overall effort from everyone was amazing and that's the reason you should watch it. 6.5/10

• Sep 21, 2016

A very depressing movie. It shows that sometimes (or most of the times in real life) love isn't just enough...

• Jul 05, 2016

Dramatic love story with an expected tragic ending.

Dramatic love story with an expected tragic ending.

• Jun 04, 2016

Personally I thought it was brilliant film that has an obvious story line yet it's highly enjoyable and a quite formal film. The acting is great and there is nothing Patriciaularly wrong with the film.

• Jun 01, 2016

Jessica Lange does her best Joan Crawford impression

Jessica Lange does her best Joan Crawford impression

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Apr 26, 2016

I don't generally like period pieces, but this was very well done. Incredibly dark story of a little orphaned girl who is married off to her guardians sickly and dopey son. Elizabeth Olsen and tom Felton are both outstanding. The sexual obsession between the girl and the family friend is compelling as you can just see it is going to turn bad and it sure does. Half way through, a plan is decided to dispose of the husband and then it's a fast unraveling for all involved from there. At 1 half hours it doesn't wear out its welcome either, as this genre often seems to.