The Invention of Lying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invention of Lying Reviews

October 12, 2017
This is not a movie for every one, in fact I can see it making some quite angry, but it's the rare film that was equal parts insightful, funny and sad and I highly recommend it.
October 4, 2017
unique idea. Has some good parts also a lot of bad parts. I did like the point of the movie. I also like how the main guy evolved as time went on.
August 24, 2017
The main idea is clever and the writers have fun with it, although from a certain point on they sideline it a bit for the rather uninspired love story and the true but trite social commentary (rich bullies vs. poor but kind dudes; poor guy turns rich but he's still unhappy, etc.) that came with it. On the other hand, the cast is way more star-studded than you'd expect and Gervais has a go at religion more than once - maybe not as fiercely as in his stand-up shows but still pretty eloquently.
½ July 19, 2017
It's a clever comedic commentary while couched in a romantic comedy set up. Dogmatically religious people may not enjoy the humor, but it is still intelligent and poignant, regardless of anyone's hurt feelings.
June 21, 2017
This is a fantastic movie. and there's moment where the hero is called to make a choice to lie or tell the truth. Such a well-written moment. Beautiful.
June 18, 2017
A brilliant idea that loses a lot of its sparkle a little over half way through.
February 14, 2017
Despite the poor critical reviews I actually really enjoy this film and find it quite clever. Is it the funniest movie I've seen? No, but I think it's origional and witty. I thought the writing of the "bible"hilarious
February 11, 2017
The best thing about this movie is that it caused butt hurt to every religious bigot who watched it, Which is reflected by their angry bad reviews. I think the idea of the man in the sky is brilliant and Gervais is LEGENDARY!!
½ December 23, 2016
Great philosophical potential ruined to propagate atheism, subjectivism, and romanticism.
½ December 20, 2016
Aunque cae en muchos tópicos y el final es más que obvio, me ha divertido bastante. Dentro de su género me ha parecido original
December 5, 2016
Boring unfunny and obvious
November 24, 2016
Best movie ever!!!!!
August 29, 2016
Typical Rickey Gervais. Cynical and funny old git. A few good chuckles ...
August 23, 2016
Funny premise. Funny banter.
July 23, 2016
entretenida película, la historia de un hombre en una sociedad que no conoce la mentira, hasta que el la inventa, me gusto la escena donde inventa al "hombre en el Cielo, que lo controla todo" te da cosas buenas, y malas, pero al final te recompensa con una mansion en la vida eterna, jajajaja
July 18, 2016
Despite an unrealistic ending, I truly enjoyed this unrealistic movie.
½ July 11, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. The humour is very much like my own kind of humour and the dry nature of this film had me laughing from the get-go. The whole "there is no God" thing that Gervais is ever so intent on parading around (whether it be true or not) is forced at the end of the movie. But it is a very interesting psychoanalysis on human beings and why lying is just a part of who we are, no matter what. All you can really say.
½ July 7, 2016
It was funny and interesting from the beginning until.... the mockery of religion.
July 5, 2016
"What if not only could nobody lie, they never even knew what lying was?"
It's a fairly simple premise and often those kind of movies can have make for surprising well-crafted stories. After all you don't need overly complicated plots to tell a great story. Unfortunately, this movie can't even get a simple concept right.

It's just two hours of pointless meandering coupled with some really ham-fisted morals and ideas. Really, there's no religion because no one can lie? Really?
Not only that, it shows that even without manipulation and deceit, we're still a pretty terrible lot.

I can't tell a lie, and the truth is this is one trip to honesty-vile I won't be taking again soon.
April 21, 2016