The Invention of Lying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invention of Lying Reviews

½ June 18, 2018
It is no surprise this movie fared poorly in the US. It comedically bit the most sacred of beliefs in this crazy country. Ricky Gervais brilliantly exposes, then amplifies, our stupidity, just as he did with The Office. Unfortunately the movie is longer than it should be and ends with much too syruppy of a conclusion, perhaps to appease the Hollywood in us. Still, very few are brave enough to attempt such sarcasm and blasphemy and, for that, this movie is perfect.
June 15, 2018
Cheap looking, cheesy and dull. And again, Gervais is unfunny.
½ May 15, 2018
the idea of this movie is just brilliant, very good scenario and fascinating comedy, i think i has never come to most of people who invented the first lie but this movie gives it a perfect plot
½ April 22, 2018
A very funny, very clever black comedy that was hugely underrated on its release. Gervais riffs intelligently on humanity's need for the comforts of religious certainty, while critiquing the sheep-like stupidity of only doing what others say you should. He has assembled a crack cast of practised comic talent - Louis C.K., Tina Fey, Rob Lowe, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ed Norton, Jeffrey Tambor and the gorgeous Jennifer Garner among them - and even when the film risks drowning in sentime?t in the final third subverts it again. Triumphant and definitely worth seeing.
½ March 4, 2018
I am a huge Ricky Gervais fan, so almost everything he does is gold in my eyes. When this film was first released I loved it, especially as it takes a number of 'not too subtle' swipes at religion, which I'm not the biggest fan of. Watching it again today, the film does feel a bit disjointed at times, also possessing the cheesiest sequence seen in recent film, where Ricky makes a number of people feel better with his new found ability to lie.
½ February 7, 2018
The jokes in this "comedy" are from really poor quality, and although the story is original, its potential is far higher than the final performance.
November 9, 2017
I'm not going to lie I prefer Ghost Town, which is another Ricky Gervais film. However I did find this film mildly amusing, but very interesting. it has some interesting ideas and makes some interesting points, but it's not a classic.
October 12, 2017
This is not a movie for every one, in fact I can see it making some quite angry, but it's the rare film that was equal parts insightful, funny and sad and I highly recommend it.
October 4, 2017
unique idea. Has some good parts also a lot of bad parts. I did like the point of the movie. I also like how the main guy evolved as time went on.
August 24, 2017
The main idea is clever and the writers have fun with it, although from a certain point on they sideline it a bit for the rather uninspired love story and the true but trite social commentary (rich bullies vs. poor but kind dudes; poor guy turns rich but he's still unhappy, etc.) that came with it. On the other hand, the cast is way more star-studded than you'd expect and Gervais has a go at religion more than once - maybe not as fiercely as in his stand-up shows but still pretty eloquently.
½ July 19, 2017
It's a clever comedic commentary while couched in a romantic comedy set up. Dogmatically religious people may not enjoy the humor, but it is still intelligent and poignant, regardless of anyone's hurt feelings.
June 21, 2017
This is a fantastic movie. and there's moment where the hero is called to make a choice to lie or tell the truth. Such a well-written moment. Beautiful.
June 18, 2017
A brilliant idea that loses a lot of its sparkle a little over half way through.
February 14, 2017
Despite the poor critical reviews I actually really enjoy this film and find it quite clever. Is it the funniest movie I've seen? No, but I think it's origional and witty. I thought the writing of the "bible"hilarious
February 11, 2017
The best thing about this movie is that it caused butt hurt to every religious bigot who watched it, Which is reflected by their angry bad reviews. I think the idea of the man in the sky is brilliant and Gervais is LEGENDARY!!
½ December 23, 2016
Great philosophical potential ruined to propagate atheism, subjectivism, and romanticism.
½ December 20, 2016
Aunque cae en muchos tópicos y el final es más que obvio, me ha divertido bastante. Dentro de su género me ha parecido original
December 5, 2016
Boring unfunny and obvious
November 24, 2016
Best movie ever!!!!!
August 29, 2016
Typical Rickey Gervais. Cynical and funny old git. A few good chuckles ...