The Invention of Lying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invention of Lying Reviews

February 14, 2017
Despite the poor critical reviews I actually really enjoy this film and find it quite clever. Is it the funniest movie I've seen? No, but I think it's origional and witty. I thought the writing of the "bible"hilarious
February 11, 2017
The best thing about this movie is that it caused butt hurt to every religious bigot who watched it, Which is reflected by their angry bad reviews. I think the idea of the man in the sky is brilliant and Gervais is LEGENDARY!!
½ December 23, 2016
Great philosophical potential ruined to propagate atheism, subjectivism, and romanticism.
½ December 20, 2016
Aunque cae en muchos tópicos y el final es más que obvio, me ha divertido bastante. Dentro de su género me ha parecido original
December 5, 2016
Boring unfunny and obvious
November 24, 2016
Best movie ever!!!!!
August 29, 2016
Typical Rickey Gervais. Cynical and funny old git. A few good chuckles ...
August 23, 2016
Funny premise. Funny banter.
July 23, 2016
entretenida película, la historia de un hombre en una sociedad que no conoce la mentira, hasta que el la inventa, me gusto la escena donde inventa al "hombre en el Cielo, que lo controla todo" te da cosas buenas, y malas, pero al final te recompensa con una mansion en la vida eterna, jajajaja
July 18, 2016
Despite an unrealistic ending, I truly enjoyed this unrealistic movie.
½ July 11, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. The humour is very much like my own kind of humour and the dry nature of this film had me laughing from the get-go. The whole "there is no God" thing that Gervais is ever so intent on parading around (whether it be true or not) is forced at the end of the movie. But it is a very interesting psychoanalysis on human beings and why lying is just a part of who we are, no matter what. All you can really say.
½ July 7, 2016
It was funny and interesting from the beginning until.... the mockery of religion.
July 5, 2016
"What if not only could nobody lie, they never even knew what lying was?"
It's a fairly simple premise and often those kind of movies can have make for surprising well-crafted stories. After all you don't need overly complicated plots to tell a great story. Unfortunately, this movie can't even get a simple concept right.

It's just two hours of pointless meandering coupled with some really ham-fisted morals and ideas. Really, there's no religion because no one can lie? Really?
Not only that, it shows that even without manipulation and deceit, we're still a pretty terrible lot.

I can't tell a lie, and the truth is this is one trip to honesty-vile I won't be taking again soon.
April 21, 2016
Gervais was on Simpsons before
April 13, 2016
All the stars I'm giving to this movie go solely to the brilliant idea that was invested in existential terms. Otherwise, the movie barely developed.... it bored me sometimes.
½ April 5, 2016
Weirdly funny and interesting different, Ricky Gervais creates a imagination land of where lying doesn't exist and is more or less impossible till one man discovers it and uses it for the better of his life, this film similars Bruce Almighty and Absolutely Anything and puts it into a more real and different perspective. This film is a really clever way of portraying life without the one thing that keeps the world moving. Full of very barmy and surreal comedy with a really annoyingly honest relationship story and makes a fascinating alternative life and turns it into charming little romcom that will have you unexpectedly laughing and feeling good all the way through.
Weird, funny and feel good, just goes to show that lies can get you a long way for he greater good or bad.
½ February 25, 2016
What could have been a humorous movie descends into a needless attack on faith.
½ January 21, 2016
dumb movie. Wouldn't waste your time
½ January 19, 2016
A crrappy attempt to question religions, and specially cristianism, with black humor. Not worthy a review. Dissapointing.
October 3, 2015
Can't get enough of this movie... Very witty.