It's a Wonderful Life Reviews

• Aug 26, 2020

The ending is very heart warming. The build up to when George came to beg Potter is excellent. Despite all that, I'm not very convinced by how George came to change his mind and didn't want to commit suicide any more. Somehow his wish of stop living got turned into not having ever been born. Anyways, I can imagine how this movie can be a go to for a Christmas night.

• Jul 22, 2020

Well acted but the story is just too darn depressing.

Well acted but the story is just too darn depressing.

• Jul 18, 2020

Based on a book and concidered a Christmas film (though not really Christmassy) this film is one of my personal favourite 40's films alongside The Third Man. James Stewart was a fantastic actor and really shows it in this masterpiece of cinema.

• Jul 06, 2020

Jeff Barnes 12/21/18 It's a Wonderful Life Review It's a Wonderful Life teaches us a lot about life with teaching us how to go about living our lives such as with improving our lives. It's very relatable with having characters that we can relate to particularly the character of George Bailey. James Stewart tops this off with an excellent performance. It does however have a fair amount of flaws. It's a Wonderful Life is about a down on his luck business man who looks more at the negative aspects of his essence rather than the positive aspects of his essence. He looks at the negative aspects so much that he contemplates suicide however an Angel from heaven named Clarence saves him from doing so. George has plenty of financial problems with the town he lives in Bedford Falls and this comes from a bank owner by the name of Henry Potter who not only wants to do whatever it takes to own everything in Bedford Falls, but also wants to do whatever it takes to own all the money in Bedford Falls even if it means enabling people to live poor in slums. Mr. Potter reminds us of our selfish side or can relate to anyone who's just flat out selfish because he's willing to do whatever it takes to make himself satisfied, and it's said or believed that this is the only way to have fulfillment in life, but we don't have to always be selfish in order to have fulfillment in life we can be selfless and this is what George Bailey represents. George saves his brother Harry from drowning which leads to him giving him his money and this leads to him playing college football and shooting down many fighter planes and saving men from a transport during World War 2, which also leads to President Harry Truman awarding him the congressional medal of honor, and what this teaches us is that we can change the world for the better by being generous. George also gives out loans to good friends of his such as Violet and Tom and this instills us that we should be more generous than egocentric if we want a friendship to last for a long time or even forever. George does another devoted act by using Potter's money to turn a graveyard into a town with tons of houses called Bailey's Park, and what this proves is that we can improve our lives by being noble towards others because it makes us more likeable and because it can enable people to be noble to you by improving your life. An example would be at the end of the film when all of George's friends and family end up giving his wife and kids money they had left over because of how generous he was to them by giving them money. George however looks at the negative aspects more than the positive aspects of his life with his financial problems and this leads to him forgetting all the good that he has done and pondering over suicide, and this leads up to his guardian angel Clarence showing him what the world would be like if he had never existed, which leads to the Bailey's Bros Building and Loan Association going out of business and his brother Harry dying at the age of 9 because he wasn't there to save him from drowning when he was a kid, and this leads up to him not becoming a war hero and receiving the congressional medal of honor. George's wife Mary has never married and perhaps this is because her one and only true soul mate was George, and what this teaches us that if we ever ponder or are about to commit suicide god forbid we should think more about the positive rather than the negative elements of our lives and all the good we've done as opposed to all the bad that we've done or all the problems we've had. The character of Violet reminds sophisticated and popular people of themselves because she's not only nice looking but she dresses nice as well, and in fact there are men who stare at her as she walks down the street and this reminds me of when the character of Ilsa in the film Casablanca walks in the nightclub with her husband Victor and men stare at her and the character of Renault comments on her beauty as does George comments on Violet's beauty in It's a Wonderful Life. James Stewart really makes George Bailey come alive with his performance by adding lots of vigor, intensity, and strength to his voice especially in the scenes in which he has disputes with Henry Potter such as when he wants the people in Bedford Falls to live in decent homes rather than in slums, and when Mr. Potter offers him $20,000. He also adds a great quantity to his facial expressions exclusively during the scene in which Potter is talking to him in his office, and he squints his eyes as he looks at him as if he certainly despises him, and he looks down in shame when Potter tells him his weaknesses. There is also a scene worth mentioning when he gives George a very perplexed, shocked, and confused look on his face when he finds out his mother in other words his own flesh and blood doesn't recognize him in the world in which he doesn't exists, and during this scene there seems to be more emotions going on in his face than I can even describe. It's a Wonderful Life despite theses strengths has a fair amount of weaknesses such as with plot holes with it never being explained as to why there's a bunch of animals in the Bailey's Bros Building and Loan Association such as a crow, squirrel, dog, and owl. It's a Wonderful Life is also disappointing with the case that non of the other performances in it are memorable, and the only memorable performance in it is that of James Stewart's performance his performance is so memorable that we wish the other performances in it were just as memorable or more memorable. I highly recommend It's a Wonderful Life despite having a fair amount of flaws and give it a score of a 9 out of 10.

• Jun 23, 2020

A Christmas classic toatal

A Christmas classic toatal

• Jun 03, 2020

Such a great classic movie!

Such a great classic movie!

• May 30, 2020

Takes a long time to get to the point. Very schmaltzy but a few good parts to the film. No one seems to age in the film weirdly. Hated the ending.

• May 24, 2020

It's a great Christmas movie.

It's a great Christmas movie.

• Apr 16, 2020

Possibly, to this day still, the best movie of all time.

Possibly, to this day still, the best movie of all time.

• Apr 12, 2020

An amazing movie which will make you think about all of the things that are important to our life, things that we couldn't live without, but things we forget that are important in crucial situations. Also fantastic theme about existential choice, amazingly transformed into one of the best movie of all time.