The Joneses - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Joneses Reviews

November 28, 2016
Rating: 8/10

This little gem flew way under the radar, which is unfortunate because it is a very unique and well made film with excellent performances, particularly from David Duchovny and Demi Moore. I'm especially impressed with Moore, who hasn't had a role this good in many years.

The film centers around a group of four people who pose as a loving and especially posh family. Their friends have no idea that the new residents are actually very skilled salespeople who's motive is to sell various products to them in keeping up with their stylish lifestyle. Duchovny's character is the newest salesman of the unit and goes from being the worst in the group to the best, but more and more questions why they do what they do.

This film is funny, touching, and is an interesting take on consumerism and material envy. It does suffer from a bit formulaic at times, but for a film that is mostly working with a very non-formulaic premise, that can largely be forgiven. Seriously, check this out on Netflix if you get the chance.
½ August 21, 2016
I had been wanting to see this movie for a long time, and I finally got around it. It's true what some saw that it could've explore way more the whole concept of consumer culture. However, the movie worked just the way it was leaning towards a more dramatic and romantic story that really worked, and also David Duchovny and Dsmi Moore's performances really helped it as well.
~August 21, 2016~
July 5, 2016
Such a smart movie and everything blends well together. The unpredictable storyline makes it exciting and convincing.
½ June 28, 2016
This was a surprisingly good movie. Amber Heard got naked, Demi still smoldered, and Duchovny was a king. Not bad NetFlix.
½ March 31, 2016
the riches as a movie
½ January 23, 2016
1/22/2016: An interesting premise. An ok film with an excellent cast. Not good enough to watch again though.
January 11, 2016
160111: At first I thought this film was going somewhere and I guess it did. Just not where I had wanted; and I'm not even sure where that is. Did not satisfy on any level.
December 20, 2015
It was pretty decent until the very contrived ending.
½ October 26, 2015
I haven't ever seen that much product placement in a movie )
October 24, 2015
A great idea with a misguided execution. The characters are supposed to be professionals but it is a mystery how they got that job in the first place since they all do stupid things that could be so easily avoided - and the ridiculous third act pretty much ruins everything.
September 20, 2015
WOW.......WOW.....WOW......BRILLIANT......FANTASTIC......AMAZING.....GENIUS......SUPERB......man I have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch........its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.......I think that demi moore, david duchovny (From the brilliant tv series The X-Files), amber heard, ben Hollingsworth, gary cole (from the brilliant tv series veep), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a brilliant comedy movie 2 watch.......its got such a great soundtrack throughout this movie......I think that this is such a sad movie 2 watch as well as it is so sad movie 2 watch but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch........WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROGUHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......I think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch but it is such a sad movie 2 watch.........

The film has received mixed to positive reviews. Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 61% of critics gave the film a positive review based on 103 reviews, with an average score of 6.2/10

It premiered at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival on September 13, 2009. Roadside Attractions later purchased the United States theatrical distribution rights. It had a limited release on April 16, 2010 and was released on DVD & Blu-ray On August 10, 2010. It received a theatrical release in Mexico on August 20, 2010

man this is such a sad movie 2 watch but it is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch but it is so brilliant movie 2 watch, its got a fantastic cast throughout this movie........
½ August 2, 2015
I liked the film but thought the concept was hampered by the running time and a forced happy ending. much better then expected.
July 5, 2015
Really cool idea for a movie.
April 30, 2015
Been curious about this ever since seeing the director's other film Stars. Although I think the last time I looked up the film, they had changed the title.
April 27, 2015
Cleaver Film, twisted in soooo many ways. Product endorsement gone way too far.
February 3, 2015
This movie. It was pointless and stupid. Amber Heard was barely in any scenes. Big problems.
½ February 3, 2015
Immeasurably stupid, poorly written and spoon-fed morality for the limited intellect.
½ January 24, 2015
Que espectacular se ve Demi en todas sus escenas .
½ January 22, 2015
Que espectacular se ve Demi en todas sus escenas.
½ January 17, 2015