Journey Back to Oz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Journey Back to Oz Reviews

June 30, 2013
It's better than most attempts to recreate the world of Oz in animation, as the obviously put more effort into this one. Yet, the film suffers from a ludicrously stupid plot and songs that are more annoying than memorable.
½ April 6, 2013
Like a lot of animated sequels, this one forgot the past ever happened. Also, the musical numbers fill in the cracks rather than move the story forward.
½ July 26, 2011
An enjoyable little film that does a nice job of continuing the classic movie, The Wizard of Oz.
March 11, 2011
An amazingly star-studded cast for a quaint animated film by Filmation (of He-Man and Fat Albert fame among others). The animation is a step above television animation, but not much more. Still, artistic efforts are not lacking and amidst some choppy sequencing come some really surprisingly imaginative sequences. Plot and script can leave you going "What?!" but are also filled with some hilarious jokes. The music and songs can seem a bit too saccharine or ridiculous, but they are witty and fun nonetheless. It is a treat to see (hear) Liza Minelli reprise the role made famous by her mother. And legendary Ethel Merman takes on the role of the witch. I used to watch this all the time as a kid, and it wil probably still find a place for youngsters today.
February 22, 2011
Wow this was bad. What a bizarre cast of voices. The songs were awful. The story was bad. Why did the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion have to be such jerks?
½ December 11, 2008
A cute, but somehow underrated animated sequel to the classic. A fine cast--with the exception of Liza Minelli--and catchy songs.
½ November 30, 2008
This was a cute. Great for the kid in all of us who liked The Wizard of Oz.
October 13, 2008
Love this movie! I watched it all the time as a kid and it always made me feel good.
July 2, 2008
All star cast, but not much fun.
May 28, 2008
At first, I have never even heard of this film; nor that this film is sequel to the 1939 live-action film "The Wizard of OZ"; that is 'til I've bought it on DVD, and I after watched it, I found an excellent sequel film; though I was shocked and surprised by the negative reviews I would see on the web.

I love the talents of Paul Lynde (who had also played Uncle Arthur from TV's live-action comedy "Bewitched") and Liza Minnelli, who provided the voice of Dorothy, reprising the role originally played by her mother Judy Garland, and she DOES sound a lot like her mother, when she said "You wicked old witch!" (I love Judy; I have a few of her films).
½ April 17, 2008
Not quite as magical as it ought to be.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
½ December 12, 2007
Oh WOW! I remember this shit! This was great! I loved this movie way back when!
½ November 29, 2007
I remember watching this movie when I was younger. I recently saw it again, for nostalgia purposes and I thought it was okay, the songs were a little lengthy. I was scared of the green elephants.
November 7, 2007
its all right but i only watched it because i wanted to know what happened next
July 11, 2007
A charming animated adventure where Dorothy returns to OZ and meets her old friends, plus new ones. The new characters like Mombi, the Wooden Horse and Jack Pumpkinhead make it interesting. It's very colorful animation, but the sappy songs drag it down a bit, and aren't up to the quality of the original. I loved watching it in 1974 when I was only six!
July 6, 2007
Probably wouldn't like it if I saw it now, except for the fact that I always want to know what happened next. But watched it as a kid and really enjoyed.