King Kong vs. Godzilla Reviews

• Mar 22, 2020

It was pretty cool. King Kong fighting with Godzilla was awesome! You might tell some of them are fake when it comes to vehicles and trains getting stomped or destroyed. At the same time, it is pretty cool and great to watch! Can't wait to see the remake of this movie!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Feb 25, 2020

People scream and run as buildings are toppled over and are crushed, yes ("yay!" for the kiddies), but there is never any real threat in this monster outing designed specifically for the frightened parents of impressionable little ones, afraid of a traumatizing experience. One gets the monsters ("yay!" for the kiddies), but no terror. In fact, one gets mainly comedy, like a goofy, play-acted schoolyard ruckus for kiddie teevee more than anything else. On the sidelines, there's a bunch of psuedo-serious-talking-head gobbledygook that assures that "mankind has advanced technology to battle the threat!", further reassuring those worried, ticket buying parents that these humongous apparitions were never any real danger. Neutered King of the Monsters here.

• Dec 27, 2019

So bad bad, it makes me more excited for the new one.

So bad bad, it makes me more excited for the new one.

• Nov 17, 2019

This movie had such bad monster action, it also had really cheesy lines and characters. I can't wait for the 2020 version though!

• Oct 30, 2019

A big insult to both iconic monsters that fight on the screen. The musical score is easily the best part of the movie. The worst part easily, is the Kong suit. I've seen halloween costumes that cost under $10 that look better.

• Aug 14, 2019

It's soo bad, but it's soo fun! There's nothing quite like seeing King Kong being transported to the showdown on giant balloons....

• Aug 02, 2019

For the first time in history 2 Goliaths of cinema would collide in this beautiful masterpiece, we wont see Something like this until 2020, so this being the first time that these two meet, in my opinion its a cinematic beauty that leaves you in awh and spectacle.

• Jul 09, 2019

Firstly, as with most Godzilla films, the American version of the film is poorly recut and scenes are added that ultimately detract and confuse the viewer from the original film's intention. The best way to experience "King Kong vs. Godzilla" is a subtitled version of the original Japanese film. "King Kong vs. Godzilla" was ultimately disappointing for what it sets out to be - pitting two very popular, very famous monsters against each other in a battle is the perfect premise, however there are multiple flaws that ultimately take away from the experience. The most glaring fault within the film is its pseudo-comedic style. Serious in some scenes, downright goofy in others, it's often hard to tell when to take the characters seriously. This was an attempt to appeal to a broader demographic including children, however an appeal of both Godzilla and King Kong's source material is the feeling of helplessness and fear the monsters induce. There is an essence of this feeling in the film still, however it feels like Japan is just kind of done with Godzilla's shit and are barely afraid anymore. Still, there is a lot to commend King Kong vs. Godzilla on. For 1963, the special effects are high quality, opting for the Toho standard suitmation, rather than King Kong's stop frame animation. While by today's standards the special effects are kind of silly, there's something to be said for the quality of the suits and some of the movements of the monsters themselves. I did find, however, that even despite the special effects quality, many of the monsters' movements were very human, and whether intentional or not it was quite an obvious issue that brought me back to "I'm really watching a couple dudes in a suit throwing rocks at each other" instead of "Godzilla and King Kong are battling." The film's video and audio quality is amazing, filmed in colour and widescreen. This is a big merit of the film, as despite its faults it looks beautiful and the score is great. A big problem I had with the previous Godzilla film, "Godzilla Raids Again" was the film's poor sound design, however this is easily rectified in "King Kong vs. Godzilla", which I am thankful for. Ultimately, "King Kong vs. Godzilla" is goofy, silly and downright strange, however bottom line, it's a Toho Godzilla film - it can't go terribly wrong. I can't say this film will entertain you like either monster's source material, however I applaud it for its continuity, special effects and filming. It's worth watching for any Godzilla fan, however a casual fan interested in the upcoming 2020 "Godzilla vs. Kong" may not find much interest in the original version.

• Jun 27, 2019

As a lifetime fan of everything Godzilla this movie stands alone. It is at the very top of all Godzilla films. Some may think this is insane but as a kid watching this movie it was amazing. I still watch this movie and get the same amount of enjoyment from it. Who needs all this CGI when you can have two "actors" in rubber costumes fighting on a miniature set. Absolutely the best.

• Jun 26, 2019

The movie is ok and I like the fight, but the plot changes Godzilla and King Kong's abilities. One thing that they changed is that for some reason Godzilla doesn't like electricity which is strange because in the two Godzilla movies before this one and every movie after this one he is ok with electricity. Another thing that doesn't make sense with Godzilla is that they said he has the brain the size of a berry but like the last one this isn't in any of the other movies because in most movies he does show some intelligence. The thing that was weird about King Kong is that they made it to where he could get power from electricity and I also don't know why the berries only make Kong giant and the humans won't become giant.