Kusama: Infinity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kusama: Infinity Reviews

January 19, 2019
I truly enjoyed Kusama! The film progressed through Kusamaï¿ 1/2(TM)s life, career & public challenges seamlessly. The cinematography, from now & the tie in of edited film, photographs & overlay audio created an inspiring emotional story of triumph through adversity.
January 15, 2019
Celebration of this talented and determined artist who deserved the recognition.
January 9, 2019
This documentary is absolute revelation. Finnaly a portrayal that gets pass the point of focus just on Kusama's psychologichal issues and obsession with dots. After watching this film I gained a new level of appreciation of her as an artist. Her absolute dedication and commitment to her work and believe that one can make this world better through art is ever so inspiring.
Congratulations to as equally dedicated director Heather Lenz on brinnging this film to life for us to enjoy.
December 24, 2018
Kusama is a trailblazer who defied all odds on her journey to become the top selling living female artist. Seeing her treated so unfairly brought me to tears. Ultimately the film is a very inspiring story of an artist who, despite being ahead of her time, figures out how to not only survive, but thrive.
December 22, 2018
Kusama Infinity is an extraordinary view into the life, mind & passion of trailblazer Yayoi Kusama. The filmmaker lets you experience Kusama's journey on an intimate level so much so that you truly feel the artist's emotions which leave the viewer feeling inspired & heartbroken at the same time. This film is a must see for any art lover or fan of documentaries or biopics.
December 21, 2018
Director Heather Lenz has created an important, timely, and fascinating film about the brilliant Yayoi Kusama, the now 89-year-old groundbreaking and only recently famous Japanese visual artist. In the early 1960s, Kusama escaped her stifling family to begin her career in New York, where she innovated--as Lenz's film reveals--only to have her concepts and techniques stolen by the likes of Warhol, Oldenburg, et al. These men soon eclipsed her celebrity, and at her expense. Hence Lenz's film is a very critical correction of the historical record. Lenz also locates the origins of some of Kusama's visual motifs in childhood trauma, which had resulted in hallucinations and then obsession with hallucinated shapes and patterns; Kusama herself acknowledges as much and credits art-making with her survival. Her mirrored "infinity room" installations, giant polka-dotted pumpkins, and huge paintings covered obsessively with her personal iconography, now draw massive crowds at museums and galleries all over the world. Heather Lenz has not only drawn a powerful portrait of an artist whose late fame has intense cultural significance, but has also set a humanistic standard for the accounting of biographical details and, critically, for setting the historical record straight.
December 20, 2018
Infinitely great. A thoughtful, compassionate and deeply profound look at one of the most influential and unsung artists of the modern era. The footage of Kusama is amazing and rare. Director Heather Lenz captures the eccentric essence of this fascinating figure, while also making a bigger statement about overlooked female artists and artists of color. This film demands to be seen because Kusama demands to be known.
December 19, 2018
Like a lot of people, I knew about Kusama from the colorful images that circulate on social media sites like Instagram. Although what I had seen of her art was intriguing, I didn't know anything about the woman behind the art. I had no idea how long and hard Kusama worked or how many obstacles she had to overcome to achieve the success that eluded her for so long. I highly recommend this movie that so sensitively portrays her story and corrects her place in history.
December 15, 2018
Compelling bio documentary about the now world-known and living Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama- her compulsion to create and her struggle to be respected, recognized and rewarded in her time. Beautiful and heart breakingly luminous.
December 15, 2018
Truly informative AND entertaining film about one of the most significant artists of her generation. If you know about Andy Warhol and his contemporaries but you don't know Kusama there are reasons for that - watch the movie and you'll see why being Japanese and a woman made her ripe for those guys to rip her off, use her genius for their own acclaim. But we're in a different era, and it's not Warhol whose art shows draw crowds out the door and down N. Grand Ave. at the Broad Museum and others around the world. I saw this film at Sundance and again at a LACMA screening in Los Angeles and I'm impressed by the painstaking detail with which the director executed her vision (Director Heather Lenz). Whether or not feminism, women's issues, race, etc. are categories that draw your interest, the look into the life and mind of an intense artist like Kusama is revealing.
December 14, 2018
Kusama:Infinity informs and inspires the viewer in this well made documentary about the determination of a visionary whose art spirit, against all odds, has pushed her to prolifically produce magnificent pieces of transcendence. Though her journey was not easy, her vision has kept her focused, and she has become a hero in her own time to female artists who feel the spiritual call to make art.
December 3, 2018
I didn't know much about Kusama when an artist friend took me to see this movie. It's a fascinating biography, beginning to end. What a life! Kusama is one of the great 20th century artists and belongs in the pantheon among the Warhol's, Oldenburg's and Rauschenberg's. Yet, she was unfairly denied that legacy. The film's a full exploration of her art and her extraordinary life.
November 28, 2018
Excellent intimate introduction to the artist Kusama. The documentary is informative and inspiring.
November 19, 2018
Fascinating and mesmerising.
What an amazing vision drives this artist, and this film climbs right inside that marvelous mind.
November 12, 2018
Watch this if: You have an undying love for activism, art, and awesome women.

We already loved Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, with her lack of filter and whimsical passion for polka-dots. But according to Kusama - Infinity, there's way more to her than we knew. We threw tantrums over all of the men who not only took her brilliant ideas but stole credit for them. (We're looking at you, Warhol.) We cheered for her as she married gay couples in the streets of New York 40 years before it was legal. We laughed, cried, and worshiped this woman. She's had so much suffering and has so much to offer. At long last, she's getting the credit she deserves.
October 29, 2018
I absolutely loved this movie. It is both interesting and inspiring. It brings a true understanding of Kusama's struggles, what made her who she is and her experiences that led to her artistic style and expression. The movie flew by and the audience even clapped when it was over. I highly recommend seeing this movie, and bring your friends and family. You won't regret it.
September 27, 2018
Outstanding!! Loved the film. So timely.
September 27, 2018
Fascinatingly beautiful and profound.. psychological and historical insights expressed with subtlety ... I, who was not originally drawn to Kusama's work...am now a fan... and see how Kusama transcended sexual and ethnic prejudice with the healing influence of painting those inimitable circles, scoffed at by the art world, now can be and are seen with respect for her imagination and even whimsy!

The pacing and narrative and choice of visual images from Kusama's incredibly prolific works - create an intimacy and feeling of having visited a great installation at an art museum.. now available forever - --aptly named-Kusama-Infinity.
September 25, 2018
Very interesting and well done!
½ September 9, 2018
Great biopic of an increasingly famous artist.