Last Orders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Orders Reviews

August 14, 2015
Last Orders is a British set comedy drama about a bunch of friends who have been asked to scatter their late friend's ashes in the seaside town of Margate. The story is a sober but enjoyable one and although the film is maybe a little dull at times, it still manages to be one of reflection and humour that are very well mixed together. Starring such actors as Michael Caine, Helen Mirren, Bob Hoskins and Ray Winstone, this is one film with a real Crème de la crème of British talent and also one that for some people could be a real highlight.

As said I did feel the plot plays out a little boring at moments but it never gets so dragged down in dullness that it becomes bad. The whole tone is never really happy even in the well, happiest of times, something always seems to come a long to make the moment a little sadder and this is one reason I couldn't ever love this film. Having said that all the sadness surrounding the passing of Michael Caine's character Jack and the spreading of his ashes is one of fine characters, each with unique personalities and back stories which interweave into each other's very nicely.

I felt of all the acting on show here it is really Helen Mirren who shows off her talent and is just fantastic as Amy(Jack's widow) who is a depressed yet loveable character, caring for her intellectually disabled daughter who has never said a word to her in her life. It is all yet again rather sad but Amy has been created to be just used to it all, even Jack's death we see has bothered but not broken her, she is just a sad person but one who can still have a laugh now and again. Bob Hoskins is good as Ray who is Jack's best mate and he seems to bring a good presence to the screen alongside all the others. One more person to compliment is Ray Winstone as Jack's adopted son Vince, Winstone seems to work the character rather well, blending an honest man with a man who also has demons and anger, brought out a lot by the character of Lenny(David Hemmings).

I couldn't help but feel this is a kind of movie that tried to maybe push for awards, and it did work, but maybe not on the level they really wanted. Sure Mirren deserved the credit but as a picture this is nothing special, the kind of movie that is alright don't get me wrong but just not good for numerous reasons. Fred Schepisi is not one of those reasons, I mean I didn't think either his directing or writing were great but importantly they are steady and make the picture one that is a close one, where you connect with the characters, Schepisi really tries to draw you in and make it as if these people are real.

I think this movie is the kind of thing that sure, on a quiet Sunday lazing about, this is the kind of thing that may just be very enjoyable. I felt throughout the film goes for the sweet stuff from the first minute with heart and emotion everywhere trying to hit you hard so you too maybe shed a tear. For me this isn't strong enough a movie to make me sad but I do admit there are scenes in it(especially with Mirren in them) that make your heart drop, and the scenes to be fair with her daughter are both heartbreaking but also show us Mirren's complete talent.
June 9, 2015
You want a finely acted,emotional tinged character driven gem then you've come to the right movie.
½ June 28, 2014
Australian writer-director Fred Schepisi is a master at immersing himself in stories set in worlds foreign to his own. In this British drama, based on a Booker-Prize winning novel by Graham Swift, four lifelong friends carry out the last wish of a recently deceased friend to scatter his ashes in the seaside town, Margate. It has a serene, elegiac mood on memory, structured around flashbacks, with seamless transitions. This is an affectionate, unsentimental celebration of friendship, among ordinary people at the later stages of life, without ever feeling patronizing. Schepisi's unassuming style and effective use of the widescreen format blends beautifully with an understated approach to the material. The casting is close to perfection. Schepisi has assembled an ensemble of the finest actors in England: Michael Caine, Tom Courtenay, David Hemmings, Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Ray Winstone; and among the younger versions of the main characters are JJ Field, Cameron Fitch, Nolan Hemmings, Anatol Yusef, Kelly Reilly, and Stephen McCole.
½ June 19, 2014
Great actors and acting. Simple story that surprisingly affected me. It's unforgivable that they cast Bob Hoskins and Ray Winstone in a movie together and NOT making them father and son :)
December 10, 2013
A gentle tale about the real lives that we lead including good times and bad and how time passes.
½ December 8, 2013
Given the number of characters involved and the fact that the film flashes back and forth over a 40-year period, the film flows beautifully, thanks in large part to excellent casting and Kate Williams's fluid editing.
February 21, 2013
Holy crap are the old buggers boring. Michael Caine. Bob Hoskins. Tom Courtenay. All grade A performers but put them in a story that plods and give them dialogue that doesn't zing and you'll be napping before you know it.
January 13, 2013
Not a bad movie... nice to see the reminisce....
½ November 13, 2012
Lovely film starring some British acting royalty.
January 28, 2012
Boring but watched all the way through anyway
October 1, 2011
Gripping tale and brilliant acting.
September 6, 2011
Gostei bastante... tocante e simples, Um bom filme inglês.
½ June 20, 2011
The film is not perfect but the performances from the fantastic cast kind of make it so, one of the most brilliantly acted films I have ever seen even if the structure is sort of off. A few moments got me, some moments made me laugh, I managed a few tears. Last Orders is a good story if anything. And brilliantly acted.
April 25, 2011
the longer you watch it the better it gets until it becomes great
April 25, 2011
Underrated very good
½ February 22, 2011
A simple but pleasant little film. The scenes set in the forties are the weakest mainly because the young actors aren't up to the considerable standard of the old heads.
November 25, 2010
November 6, 2010
don't attempt watching it without subtitles.
October 14, 2010
friendshiop rocks .................
September 13, 2010
Started to watch this, but gave up: boring.