Let's Make Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's Make Love Reviews

½ June 14, 2015
Entertaining piece of fluff about Yves Montand as a millionaire who's being parodied in a stage musical. He tries to shut the show down, but changes his mind after meeting the production's star, played by Marilyn Monroe. He instead tries to woo her by appearing in the show and hires Gene Kelly to teach him to dance, Bing Crosby to teach him to sing and Milton Berle to teach him how to do comedy. It's all silly and quite lightweight, but it's also consistently entertaining with some snappy musical numbers from director George Cukor. Tony Randall plays a buddy of Montand and Wilfrid Hyde-White plays his butler. Arthur Miller apparently did uncredited rewrites of the script to beef up the part for his then wife, Monroe.
March 8, 2015
This isn't the travesty it's often made out to be--I've often heard it's Marilyn's worst film. But it's an enjoyable romp that, even though there's practically zero chemistry between the two stars, when Marilyn's either just by herself or with Frankie Vaughan the screen simply sizzles.
August 26, 2014
A funny and sexy comedy where Marilyn M. is as hot as ever, flirting away with the camera as she only could. Story is noting much, making fun of a french millionaire, that is sufficient for two hours of musical and dance numbers :)
June 8, 2014
Not a success for all involved - but mainly Cuckor and Monroe. The movie is slow paced, sloppy, and at times just plain uninteresting. Monroe botches her way through musical numbers, and this being the end of her career, you can see the spiraling down. It appears as if neither Cuckor nor Monroe had any interest in the film.
March 13, 2014
It ambles around a bit and is basically a corny romance, but it's Marilyn Monroe in one of her final movies.
½ May 14, 2013
I liked it!
And what a bunch of co-stars...
April 23, 2013
Though the gags are great, the film just doesn't flow that well - in spite of a highly talented cast & crew.
½ March 27, 2013
Hard to not like anything with Marilyn. She is sex.
March 17, 2013
I thought it was pretty cute. The plot wasn't original, but I think that the script was clever. A few parts that were too cliche, but most of it was good. A few really funny parts rounded this out to four stars for me.
December 18, 2012
Amazing !!! Amazing !! Amazing !!!
½ September 28, 2012
One of Marilyn's last films. It's definitely not the best... but she still gives a great performance.
September 25, 2012
Just for marilyn monroe
September 20, 2012
My favourite Monroe Movie. Lots of singing, dancing, and glamour, with a hint of humour. It's delightful.
September 1, 2012
Worth seeing for Marilyn alone. She may have disliked the script (for good reason), but she delivers a great performance, one of her very best.
August 3, 2012
M's career sputters with this late career effort
July 8, 2012
The only thing we learn out of it is, that a rich man can hire and influence a lot of people to get what he wants in the end. Even Marilyn wasn't allowed to shine in this overlength film. 3 stars just because of her.
June 20, 2012
I enjoyed the music. Sometimes I hit play on the DVD player and just let it run in the background for the music. being Madonna generation baby I see where Madonna gets some of her show stopping ideas. Marilyn was def more subtle with her ability to provide sex in a scene. :-)
May 13, 2012
Definitely my favorite Marilyn Monroe role for all the things the film allows her to do! It's true that protagonist Yves Montand falls kind of short in making an impact in this film, but I didn't have much of a problem with this as he's put up against the likes of Monroe, Tony Randall, and Milton Berle. As bad as it sounds, it was a bit refreshing to refer back to that character that didn't have so much personality as all the other ones did.

The story is a case of mistaken identity, and an effort on Montand's part to get Monroe to fall in love with him without giving away who he really is. The main source of entertainment comes from the aforementioned personalities of the movie, Monroe who is a struggling actress, Randall who is a talented, but still struggling actor, and Berle, who plays himself in this one teaching Montand comedy.

Performances are good all around, as said before, Montand is a bit dull in his role, but his relationship with Berle in the film is fairly entertaining, while Monroe and Randall give off a very natural chemistry. Montand and Monroe is pretty awkward through most of the film, though since this very idea is what the film is based on, maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Overall a must-see for Monroe fans!
April 22, 2012
Marilyn Monroe is underused in this piece and has another lead actor lacking charm. Much like the film "Seven Year Itch" the main character is a creepy guy that questions why viewers should want to watch this story play out. The premise is a good one but the delivery is really bad. Major celebrities make cameo appearances to hold the viewers attention and distract them how bad this film is playing out. It is a failed romance comedy that is worth seeing for the cast involved.
½ March 10, 2012
Marilynn Monroe is fantastic in this movie. It is one of her best. The overall movie is very cute and it is also entertaining and funny.