Lola Versus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lola Versus Reviews

½ July 31, 2016
Such a god damn irritating movie!!!! Just another New York film that thinks its so clever and so observant when its just modern and biased bullshit. The characters are annoying, the performances are way below decent, the writing is boring and familiar and the direction is terribly bland. When this movie wanted to be funny I wasn't amused... when this movie wanted to be taken seriously I rolled my eyes and when this movie wanted to be thought provoking I was thinking about how long I have to watch as many episodes of Gavin and Stacey as possible to wash out the bad taste that Lola Versus smashed on to my tongue within the first 10 minutes of the film.
½ November 17, 2015
A just-okay movie that tries too hard, but worth a watch if you enjoy Greta Gerwig.
½ June 28, 2015
While there was lot about this movie that I liked--Greta Gerwig is always great, it's stylistically quite watchable, and its humour is just sardonic enough--overall it had nothing to say, and there was nothing novel in its approach; though quite a "real" film, it really was just the blow-by-blow of a breakup, and not a particularly interesting one at that. It's a competent movie, but unfortunately, nothing more than that.
½ January 5, 2015
Worst movie of all time.
December 29, 2014
An awesome weird Lola!!!
November 13, 2014
Wasn't perfect, and a little slow in places, but likeable cast make this an enjoyable chick flick.

Second viewing update 13/11/2014
I liked this so much more this time around. I have upgraded another star. I think initially I expected a rom com and when it didn't turn out to be exactly that, I felt a bit disappointed.
This is a story about growing up and realizing what you need and what you don't, and learning by making mistakes. It actually does have a nice final message about finding your own strength and not relying on a man.
½ November 2, 2014
rotten tomatoes
10/3,5
½ September 9, 2014
I enjoyed this one, apparently more than the critics did. Greta Gerwig made this for me, she has such a great presence on film. She plays a character going through a slight crisis, and makes her believable. Give it a try and decide for yourself.
August 17, 2014
A waste of my time, a miserable movie with little redeeming qualities and scenes.
August 9, 2014
Not sure why this got such low ratings, but I do think you need to be in the mood for a break-up/finding your young self story.
August 3, 2014
Looking for love after losing her love. Lola (Greta Gerwig) begins a roller coaster ride of relationships that lead her to an understanding of where she needs to be in life.
½ July 25, 2014
my movie opinions during this time period are weird
May 25, 2014
Lola's attempts to find her place are lovely.
April 27, 2014
This movie angered me for reasons that are somewhat difficult to put my finger on. Perhaps it has something to do with the main character's poor choices; the supporting character's poor behaviors; the editor's poor structuring; or, the too-cute approach to an all-too-familiar generational malaise that continues to be treated as cute even by those suffering at its hands the most. Or, you know, maybe all of those things. Gerwig emerges unscathed as a great talent, but the movie hurt my soul.
March 20, 2014
This felt like an amateur version of a Kate Hudson movie, but with painfully sitcom-y dialogue. Sad waste of the cast.
½ February 21, 2014
ok comedy but i didn't find it very funny
½ January 27, 2014
Monday, January 27, 2014

(2012) Lola Versus
COMEDY DRAMA

If there's one actress I'd predict to getting some kind of Oscar I'd have to include actress Great Gerwig into that list since viewers want to see female 'characters' we can identify with without having to dumb them down. And for some of the characters Gerwig has played, majority of them are somewhat a reflection of real life and this character is of no exception. She of course is the star of this film, as Lola written and directed by Daryl Wein who's just been dumped by her fiancé of many years. Lola who was looking forward to her wedding to her long time boyfriend abruptly annuls the wedding. Viewers already have a sense about it's reasons but because it's about Lola we want to see how she's taking it which results to how she converses with her closes friends who're Alice(Zoe Lister Jones) and Henry (Hamish Linklater). One of the funniest scenes has Lola breaking away a relationship by retelling a scene from "The Godfather"- I thought that was a classic. Bill Pullman and Debra Winger also stars as Lola's parents.

3 out of 4 stars
January 4, 2014
Boring....I wasn't able to finish this movie...