Ma Rainey's Black Bottom Reviews

• Jan 14, 2021

I wanted to to like it but I would not recommend this movie to any one I know.

I wanted to to like it but I would not recommend this movie to any one I know.

Brilliant character-driven theatre.

Brilliant character-driven theatre.

• Jan 14, 2021

honestly teetering on giving it an extra half star for the third act. Kind of reminded me of 12 angry men with how the dialogue carried the movie. my goodness did we lose a serious talent in Boseman. Seriously incredible acting here, and a monologue for the books. edit: I did it. I gave it 3.5 lol.

• Jan 04, 2021

Sensational. Another incredible transition of August Wilson literature into film. Chadwick Boseman and Viola Davis breathe excellence into this body of work. One of the most profound, though gut-wrenching films of 2020. I foresee a posthumous Academy Award on the horizon for Chadwick Boseman.

• Jan 04, 2021

Really not about Ma Raney. It's about her band which was not what I signed up for. The title is the best thing about it.

• Dec 31, 2020

Clearly well produced, shot, and acted. I have no connection to Ma Rainey and truth be told was unaware of who she was prior to watching the movie. Upon learning this was based on a stage play, I think this is a case of a poor adaptation of medium. With its sweeping monologues, quickly rising and falling demeanors, and minimal sets, this seems perfectly well suited for a play, but artificially small for a film. Boseman's over the top bravado sure is something to behold, but also gives the film a near surreal placing...again...in the spirit of a stage play.

• Dec 29, 2020

I ended up liking this by the end. At first, it felt too much like a play, and then I found out it was an adaptation of a play. Translating a story from stage to screen always creates a strange choreography of sorts. The language made me uncomfortable honestly, but I powered through it. The acting was great here. Viola did a superior job as usual. By the time the story ended, I was sold. Good story.

• Dec 22, 2020

Good acting couldn’t save this bland and lengthy story. Chad Bozeman will be missed.

• Dec 21, 2020

Uma atuação digna de Oscar, em seu ultimo trabalho Chadwick Boseman mostra todo seu talento e nos deixa com gostinho de quero mais, filme com ótimo enredo e atuação impecável de Viola Davis!!

• Dec 21, 2020

'Ma Rainey's Black Bottom' is an enduring and relevant drama uplifted by Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman's award worthy performances.