My Own Private Idaho Reviews

• 4d ago

A debauched, homoerotic, glorified P*rnhub flick carefully targeted towards the MKULTRA'd proletariat. I would rather suck a cock myself than watch twinkmaxxed Keanu for ~2 hours.

• Jan 24, 2021

River Phoenix, you are missed.

River Phoenix, you are missed.

• Jan 24, 2021

Very little appeal outside the intended demographic. Unrealistic, Shakespearean based script draws far too much attention to itself and doesn't work. Genuine, heartfelt performances by the two leads are the highlights of a messy film.

• Dec 07, 2020

I was really excited and intrigued in the 1st half of this film. Certainly promising in its loose adaptions of Henry IV. But it kind of loses gas in its plot after a while . It seems like the makers aren't sure what they want the film to be, since it jumps in and out of Shakespearean dialogue and tone randomly and too much of the plots non-Shakespearean events feel meaningless, insignficant and random. Was there emotion? Yeah. It wasn't harvested like it should have been. And i will say it again......it felt insignificant really. The ending was....... meh. 3/5

• Aug 11, 2020

A creative attempt of Henry IV, quite distinctive, slightly uncanny. The film is a masterpiece I can't quite get into. Romance is too minor, not shown sufficiently. The flow abruptly changes too much, bewildering viewers. Either if that's good or not, it didn't quite satisfy me.

• Aug 09, 2020

Although young Keanu Reeves had great undelievered moments, the entire movie sums up a psychodelic journey throught theater itself carried on by Phoenix and his well deserverd apraisal and acompanied by also inspired and inspiring suporting cast. Mike evolves throughout the movie as a hammered butterfly and, in the last scene, turns into a pale leaf carried by the wind.

• Jul 09, 2020

River Phoenix, alongside Keanu Reeves, delivers his best performance in director Van Sant's passion project. The film is often hazy in its editing which only adds to the schizoid narcoleptic tendencies of the main character.

• Jun 28, 2020

The idea of a hooker with narcolepsy is pure gold. But don't we all suffer from it when it comes to our relations, we freeze and have to start all over again.

• Apr 10, 2020

One of the best movies I've ever seen!

One of the best movies I've ever seen!

• Feb 28, 2020

Though it features memorable turns from Keanu Reeves and especially River Phoenix, and it certainly has its endearing moments, My Own Private Idaho is more concerned with being strange and Felliniesque than offering a well-crafted, purposeful narrative. The Shakespearean elements are also too odd and out of place. The movie is tonally odd and indecisive in terms of approach, and thus we end up with a film that is a weak, pointless mish-mash of way too many different ideas, none of which explored properly.