Nostalghia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nostalghia Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
Nope. First viewing, nope. Beautiful but incomprehensible. Easily my least favourite Tarkovsky.
April 11, 2016
Andrei Tarkovsky's "Nostalghia" is about as perfect as a film can get. Giuseppe Lanci's cinematography is stunning. Not to be missed.
November 17, 2015
Away from his homeland Russia, Tarkovsky delivered this phenomenal masterpiece that is so wonderfully directed and has a most gorgeous cinematography, taking us in a beautiful journey into nostalgia, faith, frustration and man's longing to find his own path.
November 6, 2015
Andrei Tarkovsky's "Nostalghia" is an incredible movie made by one of the greatest artists to ever live. It features some of the greatest cinematography ever pulled off and contains one of the greatest shots in film history (although, the same statement can be made of any Tarkovsky movie). The story is simple, but it's not the story itself that is so engaging but the connotations of many aspects of it. There is something about our main character that is so strangely likable and relatable, but I can't begin to describe why. I could go on for hours about how much I love this movie and Andrei Tarkovsky, but at the end of the day, I couldn't ever actually get to the heart of why I do. There's something that is so striking and emotionally charged about this film (and all of Tarkovsky's films) that you'll have to experience for yourself before you'll have any idea of what I'm talking about. Nostalghia's biggest downfall is probably how incredibly dense it is. I've watched this film twice and have been thinking about it for months and read all I can about it, but it's hard for me to say that I can understand exactly what this movie is "about". I have a strange feeling that that is what Tarkovsky wants though. Not to cause confusion, but reflection and thought.
½ September 1, 2015
Nostalghia is a glorious film that I cannot explain and did not fully understand. These are two of my favorite tools that Tarkovsky uses in his films. It feels like you are standing in the pond with the actors and walking back and forth, really part of the story. It is hard to believe that Nostalghia scored as my second to least favorite Tarkovsky film with should say more than any sentence I could write.
July 4, 2015
A lot of silence, & closing up/pulling away.
These are all kind of the same, aren't they? Long-winded, dreary, overly contemplative, lacking in story, beautifully filmed. Honestly, Tarkovsky is my favorite director. But the whole thing is starting to wear on me. Like, can you draw me in with an interesting plot? Rather than a guy walking back and forth in water, monologuing to himself about what's wrong with his life, over a span of 20 minutes, in which 3 lines are uttered?
There is a level of depth to it, but not as much as if the story was more interesting. Just so meaningless. Aims high, hits low. Style over substance.

"The meaning of water in his films isn't as interesting to me as the question of how his actors keep their feet reasonably dry...Mr. Tarkovsky also shows a new if unproductive fondness for the image with a dark door or a passageway in the middle of the screen. Sometimes actors walk in or out of those passageways and doors, but mostly we just wait and hope. Nothing happens."
May 18, 2015
Powerful Tarkovsky movie. I watched it twice. It has an incredible scene where someone lies down for a nap, and it's a nice rumination on insanity.
January 4, 2015
This is a visually outstanding, yet challenging film from Master filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky. Following a musicologist on a trip to Italy to further study a composer he loves, the trip transforms him in a way. There are several themes at work here, and I think each viewer may take something different away from the film. For anyone who enjoys thought-provoking cinema, this film is a must!
½ November 16, 2014
Another haunting film from the genious and inspiring director.
This time we follow a Russian poet in Italy, and this is as far as I know his first film featuring another language than Russian.

Words cannot easily describe this film. This is a known fact for people that have seen his films.
Tarkovsky is shoving off many of his known trademarks here. Flowing water, indoor rain, dogs, birds, et cetera. He continues to share the most beautiful images ever put on screen, in a lovely slowed pace with long shots of dolly-cams panning and zooming. We get some amazing deep focus action here too. In every image there is so much to see and if you look around you can consume more than a quick glance give. A random still from the film would be a beautiful poster on a wall.

A poetic film, like "Zerkalo" in many ways with it's flashes of past. This is not as dream-like, more human and straight forward.
It's weird too, with some weirder settings and happenings.
We rearly shift places, few scenes.
The story is pretty hard to grasp, few answers, lots of guessing.

I dig the 1 + 1 = 1 stuff and the Domenico -character. We also are served the most "shocking" act that I have seen in his films here, spicing it up a bit - turning away from it's spiritual and soft themes.
Probably not my favorite film from this film poet/painter. It's better than "Solaris" and slightly behind "Zerkalo" and "Stalker". Give me a month so it can sink in.

9 out of 10 lighters.
September 17, 2014
The imagery alone makes this a film of considerable note.
½ September 17, 2014
A beautiful, haunting work that stands with Tarkovky's best. Once again, Tarkovsky proves his mastery of cinema as a poetic art. I've yet to find a director whose images alone moved me to emotion. The end left me with a profound sense of melancholy but I knew what I had just witnessed would be en grained in my memory forever.
September 4, 2014
In order to fully understand Nostalghia you have to know a bit about who Tarkovsky was at this point in time. Basically he was something of a self exiled artist whose constant battle with the Soviet Union drove him to travel around (leaving his wife and son for a time), and completing his films in other countries. Nostalghia has a deep personal aspect to it similar to The Mirror, where the literal fog of memory and doubt runs rampant through beautiful switches in color and B&W cinematography. Tarkovsky just continues to wow me.
½ August 31, 2014
3.5 out of 5 is usually a "good" rating for me but in the standards of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky, as well as his collaborator in this film, Tonino Guerra, this is a bit of a disappointment. A Russian writer travels to Italy to research about the life of an 18th century Russian composer. This being a Tarkovsky film, it's not as straightforward as that. I love Tarkovsky. "Stalker" and "Ivan's Childhood" are among my all-time favorite films. But even for me, this was way too slow, ponderous and oblique especially in the first 2/3rds of it. It felt a bit derivative of his and his screenwriter previous works. The cinematography though is breathtaking and it is a work that comes from a master filmmaker. But definitely not my favorite film of his. I do not recommend this film for Tarkovsky virgins.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 1, 2014
A fine picture directed by Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky, Nostalghia is a well crafted picture that should definitely appeal to fans of his work, this is a powerful picture one that is captivating from the first frame right up to the end, and it does it very well due to a strong sense of wonderful storytelling combined with powerful performances. The elements that make for a great Tarkovsky picture here, and he does great work behind the camera. The story is as usual simple, but Andrei Tarkovsky pulls it off very well due to a great visual style, which has always elevated his picture to fine art. Only a select few of filmmakers have delivered films like Tarkovsky has, and here with Nostalghia he crafts something quite good, and well worth seeing if you enjoy his work. The film is very good, and it is engaging from start to finish. Tarkovsky always manages to convey a sense of surrealism to every one of his movies, and here we have a film that shows us an eccentric, yet brilliant plot that stands out due to Tarkovsky's impeccable filmmaking. I've been a great admirer of his work, and he is able to craft something truly unique with each of his films and here he crafts something very good and is a must if you've enjoyed his work. Nostalghia is a fine drama that captivates from start to finish; this is a well crafted affair that is engaging, thought provoking and memorable from start to finish. Andrei Tarkovsky has never made a bad film or a mediocre movie, he was a filmmaker that honed his craft and expertly made terrific works of cinema, and if you're looking for a very good drama to watch, you'll find what you're looking for in this film.
February 5, 2014
I am so glad to have read Vincent Canby's review, because, ad stated above critics and users overwhelmingly liked this odd, uneventful film, a travelogue, really, instead of am interesting narrative. The beautiful images drew me in, and the hope that something interesting would happen kept me going. I have no idea what may have been the intention of the film's screenwriter and director. Nothing much happens, but it sure is pretty.
December 6, 2013
Bela fotografia e poucos e bons diálogos,Tarkovsky gosta de plano-sequência, por isso eu gosto dele.
November 7, 2013
I just wanted to say I love you Andrei. And I miss you.
September 2, 2013
Tarkovsky makes pretty images. And (based on this and STALKER) seems to have a fetish for pooled water in decaying buildings.
June 10, 2013
Nostalghia is both an opaque film, as well as an astounding personal requiem for Andrei Tarkovsky. Shot while in exile from the U.S.S.R., the film finds Tarkovsky's brining up themes such as homeland, and heritage. The film is filled with his trademark long shots, and detailed interpretations of nature, both murky and beautiful. It's not his most memorable or genuine though, as he used similar cinematic tricks in other films, but it's a finely crafted later film from one of the most pre-eminent Russian film makers.
March 4, 2013
Russian men rarely love women. They love Russia.