Notes on a Scandal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Notes on a Scandal Reviews

June 25, 2016
I'm a JImmy come lately to this movie. "Carol" turned me on to Cate Blanchett...yeah yeah I know, my cave is at 123 Blanc street. Enjoyed this movie and was surprised that it was a more demanding role than "Carol". It gave her an opportunity demonstrate her wealth of talent. The writing and acting was powerful.
May 30, 2016
Brilliantly acted by the leading ladies. Cate Blanchett is a miracle, beautiful miracle you can't look away.
½ March 19, 2016
It doesn't ring true, but the performances are good.
March 16, 2016
Gripping story and brilliant acting, Cate's best!
½ February 17, 2016
At the end of your teenage years you'll grow unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality.
½ February 17, 2016
With perfect interpretations from both Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett and this strong and thrilling story, "notes on a scandal" easily deserves to be watch. It's the best erotic thriller of the 10 last years. But be warn, the movie is a little bit disturbing.
February 12, 2016
One of the best films I've seen
January 21, 2016
I bought this one at a 7-eleven because I was bored and just wanted to watch a movie. I had no idea who Judi Dench or Kate Blanchett were. I'll tell you what - this is a great movie 4/5.
December 16, 2015
Intriguing, engrossing drama.

Barbara (played by Judi Dench) is a history teacher at a high school.
Old, old-fashioned, curmudgeonly, alone...and lonely. However, a new,
young art teacher, Sheba (played by Cate Blanchett), joins the staff
and they become friends. Barbara then stumbles upon the fact that Sheba
is having an affair with a 15-year old student. Now, what to do with
this information...?

A great, tense tale of manipulation and obsession. Good twists, none of
which are gratuitous. The villains are not always obvious, and neither
are the heroes...

Great work by Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett in the main roles. Dench
got a Best Leading Actress Oscar nomination for her performance and
Blanchett a Best Supporting Actress nomination (though I would view
them both being in leading roles).

On the negative side - the ending feels a bit subdued after the great
build-up. The ending wasn't bad and does close off the story
adequately, but could have been much better. I was expecting something
more gritty and possibly even shocking after the tension created in the
rest of the movie.
December 12, 2015
Favourite quote: Barbara Covett - "They do things differently in bourgois bohemia"
August 23, 2015
The Glass score adds to the great acting jobs.
August 11, 2015
150810: Lewis C. has it correct below in describing this movie as "uncomfortable" at times. Of course, when I was 15, I would've been all over a good-looking teacher paying attention to me. Now, I wouldn't have been comfortable with a old broad stalking me and that's what this movie is primarily about. Not the best pace but well worth watching once.
½ August 9, 2015
Judi Dench is great in this movie! This movie made my day "a gold star day" (get it).
June 26, 2015
This is without a doubt one of the best movies I have ever seen! Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench give powerful performances. And Cate Blanchett is without a doubt my favorite actress as she is just so awesome at everything she does. She is the Meryl Streep of this generation and that is saying a lot!
May 31, 2015
Inspired by the case of Mary Kay Letourneau, a schoolteacher who was imprisoned for having sex with one of her students, which is the basis for the book by Zoe Heller. This kind of sensational material has been exploited repeatedly into TV movie soap opera. In this British chamber drama about obsessive and possessive love, the story is told from the point of view of a spinster schoolteacher close to retirement (Judi Dench), who befriends the new art teacher (Cate Blanchett), and when she discovers the art teacher is having sex with a 15-year-old student, she manipulates the situation to her advantage. The always authoritative Dench is masterful here as a lonely, slightly delusional, narcissistic woman, who earns our sympathy without turning piteous. Dench gives a sensitive performance that shows this woman's bitterness, jealousy, and vindictiveness without making her into a monster. Blanchett, who towers over Dench, is very beautiful here and she expresses the conflicting emotions, desire, and vulnerability that help us to understand her actions. Patrick Marber's script includes an ironic narration, reading from Dench's diaries, that suggests a black comedy, but the film doesn't follow through. Directed by Richard Eyre, the tone is very uneven and it doesn't have the humor to be taken as a satire. It plays as a standard melodrama. The performances by Dench and Blanchett transcend the mediocre material - this is as good as acting gets. Phillip Glass's score hypes up several scenes that diminish the emotions. Cinematography is by Chris Menges. With Bill Nighy and Andrew Simpson.
May 22, 2015
A drama with disturbing climax, situations that society cannot approve because of male chauvinism, prejudices and lonely psychological problems..... great performances by Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett. 4/5
½ May 11, 2015
Notes on A Scandal is strong drama thriller lead by strong performances of outstanding actresses - Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett. Based on a novel of the same title, Notes on A Scandal has a scandalous story to tell. A new teacher in a public school gets into an illicit relationship with her pupil and the only one witness to this affair was her friend co-teacher that a secret motive of using the scandal to her personal use while writing it on her diary. The story is psychological-thriller drama with enough mystery to be curious of. I was hooked to the story because the story has many scandalous secret being kept that only the audience knows and I'm curious by how the characters are handling to keep it a secret up to the moment it of its revelation. The movie also shares that over protecting friendship can destroy the friendship itself. Dench and Blanchett gave strong performances that you'll be confusing which of which delivered the best. It's hard to pick the best as the two are outstanding actresses especially in this movie but I can say Dench is the lead because of her character and Blanchett is secondary. Both receive nominations at the 2007 Oscars as Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress respectively.
½ May 9, 2015
Gripping and intense drama.. great acting all round.. i would definitely recommend this.
May 1, 2015
A fantastic thriller with a great script and two beyond amazing performances from Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett.