Novocaine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Novocaine Reviews

May 29, 2015
Not bad, but also pretty rough with dabbling on comedy & suspense thriller genres without really landing on a solid tone.
½ September 18, 2014
Maetin is great in this twisted dark comedy.
September 1, 2014
Odd but strangely alluring, Novocaine is a suspenseful back comedy. After being seduced by a femme fatale, Dr. Frank Sangster finds himself caught up in a web of lies, sex, and murder. Starring Steve Martin, Helena Bonham Carter, Laura Dern, and Scott Caan, the cast is quite good, as are the performances (especially Carter's). Additionally, the writing balances the dark themes with light humor rather well. Still, the film does have some problems, as the tone's a bit uneven at times and most of the characters aren't fleshed out. Novocaine has some rough spots, but overall it's an entertaining film that's full of intrigue.
DrStrangeblog
½ March 10, 2014
We know that Steve Martin is smarter than the character he plays here, a dentist who inexplicably gets involved with femme fatale Helena Bonham Carter, and that damages the believability. Their scenes together offer the best moments, while Laura Dern and an uncredited Kevin Bacon get to chew a little scenery. Problem is the tone is neither serious nor comic enough, so what we have is a rather vanilla thrilla.
March 3, 2014
Good for a late night date.
February 24, 2014
Dr. Frank Sangster (Steve Martin) is a straight-laced dentist who, because of one innocent lie, finds his tidy, prosperous life transromed into a comic quogmire of illicit sex,illegal drugs and inexplicable murder.

also stars Helena Bonham Carter, Laura Dern, Scott Caan, Keith David, Lynne Thigpen, Kevin Bacon, Mindy Suzanne and Jobe Cerny.

directed by David Atkins.
½ January 30, 2014
Impressive directorial debut from Atkins, it's a classic mystery of an innocent man *well not totally innocent, accused of something he didnt do and having to clear his name, all the actors are really good, martin, dern, carter, bacon, caan, and the story kept me involved all the way through, my only minor complaint would be how everything wrapped up, it seemed to be the opposite of how the rest of the film was, but it wasnt enough to ruin the movie, its a shame atkins hasnt made any movies since then, its on netflix so check it out
½ January 21, 2014
Martin took a chance in being in this little known, little seen, conspiracy thriller. It has an interesting concept and the plot is definitely worth following, but the ultimate villain isn't all that impressive or frightening. What makes this film especially unseemly has to be its reliance on black humor, which comes off less funny and more grotesque. There's this scene near the end that is so disgusting and gross that I don't even want to think about it, and that quickly veers it away from being interesting gumshoe mystery and into weird existential quandary. If the ending were a little less slovenly this film would probably be lauded for its intricate story and the great performance from Helena Bonham Carter as the drug dealer's (Caan) sister and the seductress of the dentist (Martin). Martin feels misplaced in the film, mostly because we're used to either subdued serious performances or out of control wackiness in comedies. It's just a little too all over the place to make it as memorable as it should be.
½ January 12, 2014
Compelling dark dramady with a badass cast. I was a little turned off by the bells and whistles that David Atkins chose to use. a fun flick and Danny elfman kills the music.
January 9, 2014
This movie didn't really do a lot for me as I found the execution of the concept to be more than lacking. The film tries to mix dark comedy with a noir story and it just doesn't work at all. The cast is more than fine, but their efforts aren't enough to save what is a poorly constructed film. And I really do mean that, it's like two different scripts haphazardly put together to make one film. I did like parts of the film, like Kevin Bacon's appearance as this egotistical actor who's researching a role and who's actually far more perceptive, or perhaps he's just better at guessing, than the cops who're investigating the murder case. It wasn't hilariously clever or anything of the sort, but it was something fun in a film that lacked any real sort of consistent entertainment. There's just this low-budget look and film that is only more noticeable when you see how bad the movie is. The History of Future Folk got away with it because it had a great script, cast and some incredible original songs. You focused on everything that was good about the film instead of the parts that were lacking. This movie, because it was so bad, it made the budget stand out like a sore thumb. There was potential here to make something decent. But the comedy and the noir aspects just never mixed well enough to make a coherent and consistently entertaining film.
January 8, 2014
This will seem like a typical comedy of someone falling for someone else and hiding it from the one they are dating. It's that for about 20 minutes then this just changes completely. Novocaine is a very strange story with so many twists and turns it totally turns into something you did not expect. For what it is it's good and pretty funny but if they stuck to what the first 20 minutes gave off, it could've been a little better. Steve Martin was great as always and so was Helena Bonham Carter, yet everyone else sort of over acted or just didn't act well. IT was cool seeing Kevin Bacon in it for a bit. All that being said though, it's a pretty entertaining movie but don't expect the movie to stay the way you want it the whole time. It has ups and downs but sort of keeps you sucked in for most of it and ends on a strange note.
October 22, 2013
I'm a sucker for neo-noir. This one is pretty awesome and fun to watch
October 17, 2013
Novocaine is a disappointing film. It is about a dentist finds himself a murder suspect after a sexy patient seduces him into prescribing her drugs. Steve Martin and Helena Bonham Carter give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. David Atkins did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
August 9, 2013
Great cast, but very forgettable. Steve Martin really lost his touch after a while.
½ May 5, 2013
A seemingly clever, funny movie that's neither clever nor funny.
April 10, 2013
A dentist gets caught up with a sexy patient who is a drug addict and ends up being a suspect in a murder. This is suppose to be a comedy but I did not find much funny about it although there are some parts were you will get a little chuckle. I always do enjoy watching Steve Martin and Laura Dern overplayed her role and simply was annoying. This movie was a little weird but still was decent to watch. And it had some decent twists too.
March 31, 2013
pretty good, the last part made my teeth hurt
March 29, 2013
Steve Martin did a great job in Novocaine, but the film itself sort of went off in all different directions. There were so many things going on that it was hard to decide what to be surprised about and which leads to follow.
December 30, 2012
A movie can't be bad when you have Steve Martin and Helena Bonham Carter together. It's a neo-noir thriller (Also an unfunny black comedy) about drugs and lies. I really enjoyed the homage to the noir films and the analogy between tooth decay and lies. I enjoy the suspense and mystery, but it was slightly predictable. The real horror was the teeth pulling scene, it was everyone's nightmare I presume. A great film for entertainment, but certainly not the best.
December 18, 2012
No fim, pra mim, não importa como a trama vai se desenrolar. E sim, como Steve Martin e seu personagem irão confrontar as situações.