Oblivion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oblivion Reviews

July 21, 2017
Some of my favorite movies dont have five stars or a high %. Truth is it is all subjective. This was Tom's first movie back I think from being all crazylike from his personal life and relationships, so i was a bit skeptical about this film. You dont really seen any aliens but the storytelling and plot are so good and the character development so good I forgot it was Tom Cruise! I ended up buying this film after seeing it.
July 20, 2017
Sc-Fi and Cruise don't mix..
½ July 18, 2017
This is one of those films that'll a gem but you may not recognize it's value first time around. Once again Mr Cruise has attached himself to an awesome film that is good in all aspects from music to cinematography. It is amongst my favorite sci-fi classics
½ July 15, 2017
A movie that looks good. This movie has terrifically good audio as well. The story does not quite match the incredible quality of visual and audio effects. There is no shame in that when this is such a high quality production. While an attempt at good quality in a Sci-Fi film is typically appreciated by an eager segment of the fan base, Oblivion just does not seem to deliver in the arena of dramatic narrative. Or so I thought! After a couple more viewings over another year or two, Oblivion ended up being one of those movies that becomes so much better than at first glance. Plot points were sometimes predictable. Some of the characters seemed to be straight from Sci-FI stereotype casting. Overall the acting is good. The characters really help bring so much more out of the story. Tom Cruise, as usual, brings the most out of this character. His quality acting brought good believability to his character. He may be in a really weird and abusive cult in real life, but that sucker can act.

With a fairly standard plot that attempts a few twists, a few of the usual tropes are present. All of this is not to say that Oblivion is a disaster of a movie. It's just not all that great either. Through the majority of the movie, it seems pretty clear that this movie is just a little above average.
July 14, 2017
Hit all my buttons...a mix of suspense, science, romance and a twist or two. Some will only see the borrowings from older films (Planet of the Apes, I Am Legend) and there are some large plot holes, but overall a very enjoyable film.
½ July 14, 2017
A guilty pleasure? I really enjoyed this movie. Definite re-watching potential.
June 29, 2017
Oblivion, exactly. Tom Cruise's facial expressions whilst driving dangerously through the canyons are the only thing I remember for their absurdity
½ June 25, 2017
Oblivion has hopes of being a great film but it creates a convoluted story that makes everything about it forgettable. I will give credit to the production, I thought this film looked stunning visually. I don't think Oblivion understand what movie it is trying to be. It has a weak script that doesn't help elevate the bland characters and there are so many different subplots that get so confusing too quickly. The action is decent and the intensity is there at times, but it's difficulty to follow makes the film more meaningless. Maybe I'm just not wise enough to comprehend but this really disappoints.
June 23, 2017
I honestly wonder if the critics of this movie watched a different film than I did. I was mesmerized by Oblivion. The visuals, the music, and the simple, elegant storytelling make for an excellent sci-fi ride that is starting to develop a cult following. Ignore the critics and check it out.
½ June 18, 2017
I largely agree with the general consensus on this film; while overall it is nothing new for a plot, it has enough intrigue, a sleek look, and solid casting to carry it to a favorable review, though just barely.
½ June 11, 2017
Excellent visuals and soundtrack. Plot can be slow and stale at points, but otherwise a great movie.
½ May 28, 2017
I like this disturbing film. The story IMHO is quite realistically possible. The plot twists are a bit unexpected.
½ April 27, 2017
In the future there will be lots of Tom Cruise.
April 22, 2017
fantastic cinemtography
March 11, 2017
A little surprised at the mixed reviews as this is one of my favorite films. Great story, lots of heart, superb acting, visually stunning and intense action, what's not to love? A great experience in home theater. ??
½ March 5, 2017
Really liked this movie, one of tom cruise's best imo....great sci fi
February 24, 2017
While the film unfortunately suffers from predictability issues and a mild case of third act dumbassery, it is still engaging and beautiful to look at.
½ February 11, 2017
C-
As visually stunning as it may look, 'Oblivion' is still rife with confusing plot points and repetition that questions even the most interested film goer.
½ January 30, 2017
Plenty of water and hydrogen on Titan to sustain fusion technology. No need to steal the earth's oceans. Movie over.
½ January 27, 2017
Enjoyable!! I seem to be one of the few that liked it. Even though it was a bit slow, and not spectacular, I thought it was very interesting.