Oblivion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oblivion Reviews

½ March 14, 2018
More of an IRobot or John Carter than a 2001: Space Odyssey or Wall-E.

It had plenty of cool ideas, just needed a smaller run-time
March 6, 2018
A visual masterpiece. Gorgeous and clean. The main premise of the plot is very interesting. Pacing of the film is great. Its a film I can watch over and over and not get tired of, even though I know the ending, i still feel the drama. Its a more cerebral sci-fi, but it does have a heck of a lot of action.
February 17, 2018
A great movie with a great storyline and implemented perfectly. I applaud the work and time put into it. It's funny how poor reviews are saying it borrows from other movies, that's what most science fiction does, even the great lauded ones. Avatar for instance? How many nods does Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs tales, etc get in most of the science fiction out there. When someone comes along and does a stunning job of telling a captivating tale, why not just enjoy it. Great writers and filmmakers of the past would have a tough time in these negative times trying to tell their tales. Just because Tom Cruise is in it does not mean it can't work. Good job to Mr Cruise and all involved.
½ January 24, 2018
Tom Cruise anchors and leads this reasonably crafted sci-fi about a mechanical tech of the future, left all but alone on the planet, fixing drones in a boring routine that's slowly turning his brain to mush ... or at least that's how it seems. The truth of his reality is in fact far more sinister and makes for a decent entry to the genre. While not heralded as top notch by the purists of the day this turns out to be a worthy effort, lacking oomph perhaps but yet sustaining interest. Give it a chance.
½ January 18, 2018
Oblivion, while visually tasty, has a story that ran through an assembly line production. It's the familiar sci-fi ingredients.
½ January 7, 2018
Not a bad Tom Cruise film, a statement becoming increasingly rare. Good story and pretty well made
½ January 6, 2018
I think it's a pretty good movie... The twists were mind blowing in my opinion. I'm happy I saw this in the cinema.
½ December 30, 2017
This is a romance disguised as science fiction.
½ December 29, 2017
I guess I'm one of the few that enjoy these "weird" movies. I've watched this movie a half a dozen times already.
December 27, 2017
Great movie, the visual effects are stunning, the music by M83 Is a perfect fit, the plot will keep you on your toes, you should definetly watch this movie!
December 22, 2017
This is easily the best sci-fi movie I've seen in years, the plot is solid sci-fi not just another soap opera flic,
December 21, 2017
While I had gone into this movie assuming that the trailer had given FAR too much away and I wasn't going to be in for any surprises... the film still managed to throw a few interesting couple of twists into it. So that was nice.

I enjoyed the film, but I think it was mostly the performance of the actors that drew me into it. The plot was alright, the visuals were alright... but the performances were VERY good and turned an otherwise "casual" film into quite an enjoyable one. The best part of the film was pretty clearly any scene with a turret in it, though. The way they would glide ominously, the sounds--kudos to the designers, they did a great job making them imposing but totally believable as real technology.
½ November 29, 2017
I got into this pretty quickly, then found myself getting steadily bored until I turned it off and didn't finish it....Shame, as I do love Morgan Freeman.
November 19, 2017
It's way better than the RT ratings show. Beautiful cinematography, would to see it again in a movie theater big screen in 3D.
½ November 8, 2017
Visually beautiful and conceptually mind-blowing, the script's details are nonetheless shaky and may not be wholly satisfying.
½ October 29, 2017
Tom cruise at his best
October 21, 2017
A visual treat for the eyes, filled with stunning cinematography, fantastic locations, and terrific acting. Unfortunately, its all let down by a story that is completely uninteresting and done far better in other si-fi films.
uninteresting and done far better in other
October 20, 2017
A truly great sci-fi film. This will go down as a classic. Great directing, effects, acting and plot.
October 14, 2017
I'm not sure why this movie gets such mediocre reviews. I loved every bit of it.
½ September 25, 2017
Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe. So there is no need to drain the earth's oceans to sustain fusion technology. Movie over.