Oblivion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oblivion Reviews

July 22, 2016
Absolutely loved it, don't care what the critics think!
July 14, 2016
I thought it was awesome despite having Tom Cruise in it.
½ July 12, 2016
well, it is visual impressive. the storyline falls flat in a lot of ways and morgan freeman is hardly even in it. the premise is interesting and easy to follow. rating: C+
½ July 12, 2016
If you have an attention span of longer then 5 minutes I think you'll find this movie's slow build worth while. From great acting to a wonderful and powerful musical score, this scifi tale has it in all the right places.
July 10, 2016
This may be one of THE most underrated movies of all time. Critics generally panned it on the premise that it has a dry script and the movie takes too long to get to the punchline of what it's about. This assessment, however, I believe ignores or perhaps completely misses the elements of this movie that make it truly great.

Without giving away any of the plot, at its core Oblivion is a movie about self-discovery, the search for truth, and what it means to be human. The length of the movie, and the time it takes to get to the punchline, is a big part of that discovery process. First you are immersed into Jack Barker's reality and made to believe what he believes. Then as the truth is discovered, you share in Jack's confusion and denial. Once the realization finally sets in and hits him, it's hitting you too. I've never seen a movie that so closely ties the emotions of the main character to that of the viewer.

Through this process, Jack discovers his own identity. He realizes he is not what he thought he was, and that the true Jack Barker is a huge piece of a much bigger puzzle. The viewer is similarly left questioning the foundational truths on which he bases his own reality. I personally found myself replaying the scenes and the ideas in my head for days after watching it.

Set in a futuristic world where earth has been completely transformed by an alien invasion, the visual landscapes in the movie are breathtaking and alone make the movie worth watching. Tom Cruise also delivers the performance of his life, and the soundtrack is one of the most epic I've ever heard.

I don't know why the critics failed to appreciate this movie, but I thought it was beautiful. Highly recommend to anyone who appreciates futuristic sci-fi and philosophical subjects.
½ July 6, 2016
An ohmage to science fiction cinema, Kosinski's Oblivion has a minimalism about it that some critics may think lends a skinny aesthetic, but personally hits all the right notes. The crisp, stunning, sweeping cinematography and production design combined with an effective score, engaging acting by the reliable Tom Cruise, and surprisingly noticeable sound design, Oblivion will be one I'm still watching long after others have forgotten about it.
June 30, 2016
After reading so many reviews I've come to several conclusions 1) People aren't smart enough to understand this movie so they don't like it, 2) did they really watch the movie? 3)they don't like Tom Cruise so they don't like it,4) have the attention span of a twelve year old and weren't able to keep up, 5) Don't like sci-fi, 6) People read what other people post and just agree with them, and it goes on and on like a chain letter, 7)people obviously can't think for themselves. For those of us that "get" the movie, we are of the same mind set. This is a terrific isolationist, romantic, moving and moody film. It has melancholy and treachery and an uplifting side that carries us through to the eventual (and who cares) predictable end. People that say there was no plot, no surprises (yawn?), and just the same old predictable movie, did you really watch it?
June 25, 2016
Excellent sci-fi movie with good special effects.
June 22, 2016
Well where to start, First of all Tom Cruise does an amazing job as he always does, The story was very different and very clever if you can keep up with it because it can get very confusing at times, The effects were brilliant,A very different sci-fi film to what I expected, It's not full of action but the story was enough to keep us entertained it could of been better if they didn't over complicate it so much.
½ June 20, 2016
Oblivion in an underrated Sci-Fi movie, perhaps one of the best of the year.
Tom Cruise delivers an amazing performance helped by a gripping script.
June 9, 2016
Special effects are well down. I have mixed feelings about the plot. The twist in the end definitely makes me rethink about my opinions on this film (in a good way), but the beginning and some scenes are slow and unnecessary. Not sure if I like the ending very much...happy ending vs sacrifice? And Morgan Freeman doesn't have much of a big role. Overall not a super memorable film but still a good action movie.
½ June 9, 2016
Lacking in..... everything!
½ June 6, 2016
This movie provides one thing and one thing only, great visuals. The film falls flat with characters that aren't interesting, and a story that I don't care about.
½ June 5, 2016
Irgendwann in einer apokalyptischen Zukunft: Die Überlebenden der menschlichen Rasse hat sich irgendwo im Universum abgesetzt. Die Erde, so wie wir sie kennen, existiert mehr oder weniger, nicht mehr. Nur noch ein paar Roboter, Maschinen und Drohnen sammeln noch Mineralien der Erde auf. Die Maschinen werden überwacht von einem menschlichen Paar, rund um den Globus. Als dann Jack auf Überlebende trifft, kommt er einer Verschwörung auf dem Grund. Einer Verschwörung, das weit über die Wahrheit und über der Realität, heraus geht.
Dier erste Hälfte des Films wird hauptsächlich von Tom Cruise dominiert. Wie er praktisch im Alleingang, rund um den Globus fliegt, um für Recht und Ordnung zu sehen. Die zweite Hälfte wird ein bisschen übertrieben und konfus.
Regisseur Joseph Kosinski hat eine gute Balance zwischen schönen Naturaufnahmen und den Special Effects. Das einzige was noch fehlt, ist eine originellere Geschichte. Wir haben alle schon solche Filme gesehen. Schluss endlich, ist es wieder ein Mann, der über sich hinaus wächst, nur um das Leben auf der Erde zu ermöglichen. Das haben wir schon in Mad Max", Waterworld" oder in Book of Eli" gesehen. Irgendwo gibt es immer einer. Der Plot hätte man ruhig noch spannender machen können. Auch der Tiefgang der Charaktere bleiben leider nur oberflächlich.
Fazit: Eine nicht so lustige Zukunftsvision der Erde. Die Kamerafahrten und Effekte sind gut eingesetzt. Nur braucht die Geschichte mehr Tiefgang!
½ June 5, 2016
It isn't one of Tom Cruises best science fiction films, but Oblivion is certainly one of his best looking movies, which is enough to compensate for some of its flaws.
½ June 3, 2016
Not a good movie. Don't waste your money on renting it. Better watching it on tv for free.
May 27, 2016
Oblivion is boring for the majority of it. It tries to be interesting here and there but fails to do that. The only part where it gets interesting is in the climax.
May 21, 2016
Mesmeric of classic Sci-fi films, but no where as interested as some of the greats. The cast is fine, though the characters never seem to get too deep. The story is loose, with out-of-place action at times. The movie has a strong presence but is forgettable once it's over.
May 17, 2016
I can indulge Tom Cruise almost anything. I love his running, his jumping, his doing-all-the-stunts. Did I mention his running? This is an apocalyptic-sci-fi drama that borrows from all sorts of sources you've probably seen before, but Tom, and Andrea Riseborough do a great job of making you care and keep you interested. There are some nice set-pieces, but gradually the film loses its way.

I remember being entertained and enjoying it for what it was when I saw this a few weeks ago, but honestly can't remember very much about how the denouement plays out. I'm certain Tom did lots of stunts and shooting and jumping and running. But that's what he does, doesn't he?
May 15, 2016
We saw it last week. It was mostly as the other reviews have said, just an OK movie and predictable. Wait until it comes out in Dec and rent it. Not worth the price of a ticket.