Oblivion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oblivion Reviews

½ September 21, 2017
Tom Cruise is definitely the man for these Space adventures and while lacking the complexity and depth of say "Minority Report" to builds to a satisfactory conclusion. Fans will not go home dissatisfied and the inclusion of Morgan Freeman is as always a welcomed bonus.
jamrcla
September 16, 2017
Well where to start, First of all Tom Cruise does an amazing job as he always does, The story was very different and very clever if you can keep up with it because it can get very confusing at times, The effects were brilliant, A very different sci-fi film to what I expected, It's not full of action but the story was enough to keep us entertained it could of been better if they didn't over complicate it so much.
September 15, 2017
This movie is beautiful. The music is spot on, and it shows a simple but creative view on a dystopian world with hope. Great everything!
½ September 7, 2017
Had to switch it off half way through as it was just way too boring.
August 30, 2017
Love it! One of my favorite movies. I remember watching this movie after it was already out for rent. I hadn't ever heard of it, so I immediately assumed it was B-Rated and was shocked to see Cruise was in it. The movie shocked me how good it was.
August 19, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, we just saw Oblivion. I think the writers were Oblivious to what makes a good story.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) What we have here is all-too familiar. A movie with so much potential but so little delivery on that potential.

GREG: Oblivion is Tom Cruise s latest offering. He stars as Jack Harper, a tech on a futuristic Earth. The Earth has been been in a war with an alien race - the Scavengers. We won the battle, but the Earth was decimated. So, all human life has been transplanted on Saturn s moon Titan. Meanwhile, Jack and his girlfriend are part of a mop-up crew that is responsible for siphoning off the Earth s oceans and ridding the planet of remaining Scavs.

SCOTT: So far so good. But all is not what it seems. Jack discovers that a Scavs beacon has sent down a 60-year-old satellite containing several humans frozen in stasis. Only one of these humans, a woman, survives and triggers some older, hidden memories in Jack. We don t want to reveal what happens next, but let s just say that the arrival of this woman turns Jack s world entirely upside-down, and he spends much of the movie diving for cover from weapons fired at him from futuristic drones.

GREG: And this is the beginning of the problem with Oblivion - we had to wait for half the movie before this important plot point. Getting there was interminable. We had to wade through Jack getting abducted and escaping with no particular effect on the plot. The strange thing about this movie is that the CGI is flawless. Someone spent a lot of money on the production. But the script is a mess. I found myself asking how this movie ever got made. Morgan Freeman makes an appearance but cannot save this movie. It is long, boring and I didn t care a whit about anyone in it.

SCOTT: I m not quite as harsh in my assessment, but I do agree with you that the movie was long on impressive visual effects and short on character development. Filmmakers have got it in their heads that the only thing audiences want is stunning visuals, explosions, and chase scenes. It s true, I enjoyed those elements and absolutely loved the futuristic technologies, especially Jack s supremely cool little spaceship that zips around the atmosphere with the grace of an insect-like ballerina. We recently reviewed an old classic, Groundhog Day, which owed its emotional punch to the striking transformation of the lead character. Many movies today -- especially Tom Cruise movies -- are designed to be pleasing to the eye but atrophying to the brain. Characters don t develop, they just react to bullets. It s discouraging in a movie like this because there is so much potential for the story to rise to the level of the CGI.

GREG: As a hero, Jack is pretty bland. His memory has been wiped which makes character development difficult. He is good at running around, shooting things up and doesn t look bad in the shower. But since he comes from nowhere he has nowhere to go. He isn t a bad guy, so he can t get better. He s just a man trapped in a situation and makes some decisions that seem heroic. Scott and I have agreed not to give away more than the first act of a movie - no spoilers. So it is difficult to explain why I have such low regard for this movie. But suffice it to say that it employs several classic Science Fiction devices that simply don t make any sense. On top of that, the usual markers that expose when the first act is over are missing here. This movie is just scene after scene of beautifully constructed CGI. And terribly constructed story elements.

SCOTT: I think we ve made our point. It s not a bad movie if you just want to turn your brain off and enjoy gorgeous people juxtaposed with dazzling computer effects. For that reason, I give Oblivion 2 Reels out of 5. As Greg notes, our hero Jack Harper does look good and manages to act with virtue while navigating through the convoluted story. He s also great at dodging weaponry, taking punches, and making out with sultry women. As viewers, we really needed more backstory about the kind of man he was before the war started. That would have given his character more depth, dimensionality, and room for growth. I give him 2 Heroes out of 5. Reels: Heroes:

GREG: Dull, dull, and more dull. This is the first in a summer full of Science Fiction movies. I hope the rest of the Summer goes better. I think it s generous, but I also give this movie 2 Reels and 2 Heroes. Reels: Heroes:

SCOTT:
August 6, 2017
Well....this film gets a resounding 'Meh...' from myself and the mate I saw it with. The trailer doesn't give much away, so I was intrigued. The reason that it doesn't give much away....is because there really isn't that much to give.
The acting is ok (though Cruise seems to be going through the motions in his roles of late) and the story had lots of potential. However, there was just not enough pace to keep me interested. The twist was...ok...when it finally got to it, but by the time this happened I found I didn't really care. The effects and design were nice, but didn't make up for a general lack of substance.
Big names, Big concept...but little to get excited about.
½ July 28, 2017
Broadcast version but still good.
July 28, 2017
In the future there will be lots of Tom Cruise.
½ July 26, 2017
I really like this and don't think it's anywhere near as derivative as people make out. It's stylish, beautiful, and (like Moon) if you don't think too much about the logic of the set-up, then it's an enjoyable, thrilling sci-fi.
July 21, 2017
Some of my favorite movies dont have five stars or a high %. Truth is it is all subjective. This was Tom's first movie back I think from being all crazylike from his personal life and relationships, so i was a bit skeptical about this film. You dont really seen any aliens but the storytelling and plot are so good and the character development so good I forgot it was Tom Cruise! I ended up buying this film after seeing it.
July 20, 2017
Sc-Fi and Cruise don't mix..
½ July 18, 2017
This is one of those films that'll a gem but you may not recognize it's value first time around. Once again Mr Cruise has attached himself to an awesome film that is good in all aspects from music to cinematography. It is amongst my favorite sci-fi classics
½ July 15, 2017
A movie that looks good. This movie has terrifically good audio as well. The story does not quite match the incredible quality of visual and audio effects. There is no shame in that when this is such a high quality production. While an attempt at good quality in a Sci-Fi film is typically appreciated by an eager segment of the fan base, Oblivion just does not seem to deliver in the arena of dramatic narrative. Or so I thought! After a couple more viewings over another year or two, Oblivion ended up being one of those movies that becomes so much better than at first glance. Plot points were sometimes predictable. Some of the characters seemed to be straight from Sci-FI stereotype casting. Overall the acting is good. The characters really help bring so much more out of the story. Tom Cruise, as usual, brings the most out of this character. His quality acting brought good believability to his character. He may be in a really weird and abusive cult in real life, but that sucker can act.

With a fairly standard plot that attempts a few twists, a few of the usual tropes are present. All of this is not to say that Oblivion is a disaster of a movie. It's just not all that great either. Through the majority of the movie, it seems pretty clear that this movie is just a little above average.
July 14, 2017
Hit all my buttons...a mix of suspense, science, romance and a twist or two. Some will only see the borrowings from older films (Planet of the Apes, I Am Legend) and there are some large plot holes, but overall a very enjoyable film.
½ July 14, 2017
A guilty pleasure? I really enjoyed this movie. Definite re-watching potential.
June 29, 2017
Oblivion, exactly. Tom Cruise's facial expressions whilst driving dangerously through the canyons are the only thing I remember for their absurdity
½ June 25, 2017
Oblivion has hopes of being a great film but it creates a convoluted story that makes everything about it forgettable. I will give credit to the production, I thought this film looked stunning visually. I don't think Oblivion understand what movie it is trying to be. It has a weak script that doesn't help elevate the bland characters and there are so many different subplots that get so confusing too quickly. The action is decent and the intensity is there at times, but it's difficulty to follow makes the film more meaningless. Maybe I'm just not wise enough to comprehend but this really disappoints.
June 23, 2017
I honestly wonder if the critics of this movie watched a different film than I did. I was mesmerized by Oblivion. The visuals, the music, and the simple, elegant storytelling make for an excellent sci-fi ride that is starting to develop a cult following. Ignore the critics and check it out.
½ June 18, 2017
I largely agree with the general consensus on this film; while overall it is nothing new for a plot, it has enough intrigue, a sleek look, and solid casting to carry it to a favorable review, though just barely.